Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Snow landscapes

When taking photos of a snow landscape, is a filter required? Will there be unwanted reflections without?

05-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If and what kind of reflections might occur depends on the lens and the position of the sun (or whatever your light source is).
Filters can make things even worse because you add another glas element to the equation, that said a circular polarizing filter could be used to influence the saturation of the sky (or some surfaces, this usually doesn't look good with very wide lenses though, because it does influence the look of the sky differently for different cardinal directions - CPL filters also allow you to photograph through a reflective water surface or a reflective pane)
05-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AlanM Quote
When taking photos of a snow landscape, is a filter required? Will there be unwanted reflections without?
Depending where the sun is positioned there may be unwanted reflections. But a filter is unlikely to deal with that.

Just make sure you overexpose the image at least two stops
05-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Just make sure you overexpose the image at least two stops
This is probably the most important thing to keep in mind when shooting in the snow.

05-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Expose To The Right" (ETTR) of your histogram helps here. Also, a single polarizer won't help much with specular highlights. You might want to experiment with cross polarization.
05-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I can confirm no filter can help here. It will probably make things worse.

I didn't know about the +2 stops. Snow is very rare for me, not enough experience. Thanks!
05-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I didn't know about the +2 stops. Snow is very rare for me, not enough experience.
Same applies to bright sandy beaches . . . though more so for white sand than black sand!

05-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't overexpose the snow will look gray.
05-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't think I've ever used a filter with snow - and I get a lot of snow here. As above, just shoot overexposed - the camera will try to average the scene to a grey, but with snow it's tricked as snow is so light.