Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2021, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
I consider any camera with a 10 MP or higher resolution to be a good starter camera for novices. Ideally, it should be a DSLR, but if the potential operator isn't comfortable with that much adjustability or can't afford it, a decent point and shoot is a good place to start.
If someone wants to learn photography and is willing to put in a modicum of work, I'd argue that their best option is an older (like you said, 10MP or so models are a good starting point) higher-end camera, because good ergonomics were nailed down more or less decades ago. Newer models might have better sensors, better AF and higher fps, but I will be darned if a K-7 doesn't handle better than a Nikon D5600 or [name an entry level mirrorless]. All cameras can do full auto, but if the control layout is nonexistent, you can't move away from full auto when you're ready.

At least, that was my approach... I wanted something that I wouldn't feel constricted by after a month. After learning a little bit about exposure I knew that two dials were more or less a mandatory requirement in any camera I'd buy.

05-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a hard time suggesting Pentax to anyone with the inclination to get something that takes better photos than their cell phone and wants to make the leap to a DSLR. I usually suggest one of the Canon EOS Rebels. Less expensive to start and much more bang for the buck at the entry level with far more aftermarket options for lenses.

I'm not planning on giving up my Pentaxs anytime soon, just like I don't plan on replacing my 1950s Stevens 16ga side by side shotgun for upland hunting. Neither would I recommend to a beginner though.
05-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the 16MP Pentax cameras like the K50 and K5 variants are a great entry point. They can be had pretty cheaply (I picked up a K5-IIs for $280 a while ago) and the image files they produce are very forgiving, both with wide DR at low ISO and quite good high-ISO performance.
05-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I love the idea of this thread!I Unlike other contributors to this thread, I think a lot of beginners would be open to buying a DSLR as their first camera. A lot of young folks are getting into film photography when they weren't even around when film was the only thing available (LOL)! I don't think DSLRs are much more difficult than film SLRs to operate and a lot of beginners probably have some understanding of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed through using their phones. I actually think a lot of people would want a more tactile, physical experience than using their phone, and the DSLR can provide such experience. I think one of the huge hurdles is costs, as a lot of people probably don't want to get into an expensive hobby in this post 2008, post COVID economy.

Nonetheless, I believe that this might be one of the better times to get into ILC photography even though ILC sales are down dramatically, because a lot of cameras have depreciated significantly and one can pick up a lot of good camera gear for relatively low prices. Interestingly, ILC photography has become one of the most attractive alternatives for budget conscious beginning photographers, as the price of film bodies have gone up and the price of digital bodies have come down. Also, as the OP mentioned, if one is not really interested in using the latest and greatest phone one can get by with a $200 phone and a $250 DSLR kit, at lower cost than the latest iPhone. I'm not sure about the cost of P&S cameras, but DSLRs have come down so low in price that it basically is not worth it to buy a P&S, especially with your phone available.

Pentax is quite competitive in the low price realm, mainly because it has a huge trove of vintage lenses that you can get for quite cheap. Of course, one would probably have to be open to focusing manually to get the most out of Pentax's cheap vintage lens lineup.

My suggestion for the super budget conscious would be:

Body: Pentax K10D, K20D, or K-7, or any of the semi-pro bodies that can be found for under $200. These likely have very intuitive menu and button placements and have a lot of features that newcomers will appreciate, such as a bright pentaprism viewfinder, 2 dials, SR, reliability, and WR. Note, if one is interested in getting a manual lens, it might be better to get a body that has at least some sort of rudimentary live view function, which would exclude the K10D.

Lens: 18-55 Kit lens for under $40, 55-200 kit lens for around $50-$75, and one or more manual vintage primes for under $50. Choice will likely be between any 28mm F2.8, 50mm 1.x, and one of the multiple 135mm F2.X to 3.5s. At a little more money one could choose one of the cheaper automatic primes, such as the DA 50mm F1.8, DA 35mm F2.4, and DA 40mm F2.8XS.

For a beginner who has more money, I would recommend:

Body: Pentax K-5 series and beyond, for around $200-300.

Lens: 18-135 kit for around $150-200, or 18-55 and 55-200 kit or 55-300 kit (around $100), 1 or more manual primes at around $50, or around $100-150 for automatic primes.

As photographers on a budget we will have to sacrifice some conveniences, such as AF, sharpness, ISO, and aperture. Most beginners on a budget will know this, however, and if they go with the Pentax K-5, they will have little to complain about, except for maybe AF speed. The first kit comes up around $300, and the second around $500. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with accessories so I did not include their prices, so the price of the kit will likely go up based on the accessories purchased.

05-17-2021, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
The best way to convince someone with a cellphone/camera to step up to a proper camera is to show them what a decent camera can do. The first step up from a cellphone is a decent ILC (like the Sony I gave to my friend in Vancouver). The next step up is a simple, but competent interchangeable lens camera and a couple of lenses.

I am convinced spending a few months with a decent camera and some video instruction on how to use it properly would convert a lot of people back to actual cameras.

One thing that bears repeating is the camera body need not be the latest and greatest model. It is more important that the beginning photographer settles on a the type and brand of camera at this point. Choosing wisely at this point will save the photographer a lot of time, frustration, and expense further at a later date.

If/when the novice photographer becomes eager to spend "a bit more" money on this hobby, have them invest in better quality lenses and perhaps a tripod. Camera bodies come and go, but good lenses tend to stick around a lot longer.

The most IMPORTANT thing to pass on? How much fun photography can be!
06-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the OP, there are a lot of threads on using legacy lenses in the lens forum, and on how to use legacy lenses in the regular dslr forums, and a lot of good resources.

FYI, I have put together a legacy screw mount lens kit, going from a 16mm fisheye at the wide end to 300 mm at the long end. My lenses are all fast. And the total kit cost something like 1300cdn for 20 lenses through that range

It can be done and you can have a lot of fun with it.
06-01-2021, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lotos Eaters Quote
I saved some money to buy it and a single lens and it'll probably be a long time before I can buy another lens but hopefully I'll know what I'm doing by then. I'm young and I take it everywhere.
Interesting to hear your experience. Which lens did you get? How are you finding the transition from phone to DSLR? What advice would you be giving other young budding photographers?

06-02-2021, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the 28mm-105mm because it was from someone I know who didnt want his anymore and it plus the camera was my cheapest option. Not a freebie but close enough, haha. I wanted something like a 50mm or just a single focal length because the idea of going out to photograph with just a simple little lens is more artistic, I guess. I mean it seems like it would be.....maybe I'll try that when I can.
Coming from my phone is so different. Lots more to learn but I'll be honest and say I'm not really using Manual yet, just Program and Aperture Priority. Its been alot of fun so far. I love taking pictures with my phone and was always reading about photography and techniques and things so I have a little bit of information stuffed away in my head so its nice to try some of it out now. I think a lot of people my age would like to use a camera but as soon as you start looking into it it all seems kinda overwhelming. If I didnt know someone who was offering a lens and was willing to help out with the decision making, I may not have done it. Theres so much online about cameras and lenses and starting out its pretty intimidating, at least for me.
If it's the D-FA it's just gonna be asking for a K-1 down the line . Fantastic lens.

If it makes you feel any better, I moved away from M-mode to Av* the moment I got the basics of exposure down. You're down to three things (aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation) and in good, relatively easy light you only care about setting the aperture at ISO 100 anyway.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away!

*And TAv when light's going low or I'm shooting bursts of action, but those are still doable in Av mode.
06-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #24
Pentaxian

There are a lot of posts on this forum that discuss the latest equipment, and that is okay. After all Ricoh/Pentax is a camera and lens manufacturer. Some people have been life long Pentax supporters, and I can see why... they make great products. But there doesn't seem to be much discussion here about how to encourage people who are interested in photography, but with less abundant financial resources to buy a decent digital camera.
I understand what you mean, and agree mostly.

It's to be expected that a lot of recent discussions will be about the newest gear released. However, I think you'll find that Pentaxforums has a wealth of resources and information about what you mention : older gear, manual lenses, inexpensive equipment. There are many Lens Clubs to visit, several of which dedicated to older lenses, there is guidance on how to use those older lenses (such an article, explaining how to use the new K-3 iii, has just been released). Those posts might not always be at the top of the sub-forums, but they're here, and many people will still be happy to contribute

To learn about older lenses, you can also look at user reviews, almost all K-mount lenses are listed.
06-02-2021, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats what the guy was using it with who sold it to me....a K1. He sold it/traded it for something else but I think he does that out of habit, switching from one thing to something back and forth. I do love the lens right now. I'm glad I dont hafta rush into using Manual all the time, dont think I'm ready for that. But when Im walking and am taking a picture of something in the sunlight and then move under lots of trees I have to push my iso up to have a faster shutter speed....Ive been trying to keep it low because I guess thats better quality? Been afraid to raise it too much but I might be overthinking it
With a K-70 I'd happily let the ISO go to 1600 and, with reservations, I'd be willing to go up to 6400. In high-contrast light I tend to shoot lower ISO with about -1.7 EV, and then fix it in post, otherwise the highlights get blown to white.

What shutter speeds are we talking about? If the subject isn't moving, depending on zoom position you might need anywhere between 1/10 and 1/60 to get a sharp shot (it can be improved with proper technique, but I guess that's a decent estimate). IMO, the most important thing is if you are happy with the images; if that's the case, all is well
06-02-2021, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #26
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the 28mm-105mm because it was from someone I know who didnt want his anymore and it plus the camera was my cheapest option.
I haven't used that lens but as @Serkevan says users here love it. Some great gear to fall into your lap!
I think a lot of people my age would like to use a camera but as soon as you start looking into it it all seems kinda overwhelming.
Interesting to hear your comments. It makes sense.

The first info overload is choosing a camera, so you've overcome that one.

As for learning to use it, it's great that you are moving off the auto modes. Your approach of breaking it down and just concentrating on aperture to start with is exactly what most of us would suggest.

The next step is to try different shutter speeds to see how much you can slow down without getting too much blur (and how fast you need to go to freeze something that moves). There's a great article here about technique I would recommend: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

I would agree with @Serkevan that with the K-70 you can let the ISO go higher when you need to in order to get the shutter speed and aperture you want.

The main thing is to try different things and have fun. Feel free to ask questions here: there are no dumb questions.

Last edited by Des; 06-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.
06-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really didnt mean to hijack this thread but thanks alot to everyone! This is a pretty cool place.....
I asked the questions because I thought your experience would be pertinent to the topic. It is. Thanks for sharing. And yes, it is a cool place!
06-04-2021, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For the OP, there are a lot of threads on using legacy lenses in the lens forum, and on how to use legacy lenses in the regular dslr forums, and a lot of good resources.

FYI, I have put together a legacy screw mount lens kit, going from a 16mm fisheye at the wide end to 300 mm at the long end. My lenses are all fast. And the total kit cost something like 1300cdn for 20 lenses through that range

It can be done and you can have a lot of fun with it.
I have been trying to resist buying more lenses... My will power is strong; my won't power is weak. In the past week I got a nice m42 SMC Takumar 50mm f/4 macro lens, with extension tubes and reversing adaptor, a 50mm f/1.7 K-mount lens, and a soon to be delivered SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens. I am dealing also with a friend on a K-mount 100mm f/2.8 lens and a Pentax LX camera body with a bunch of accessories.

I am finding the mix of my Pentax K-50 digital camera body with these old Pentax MF lenses to be quite satisfying. I am able to see what I shot in playback on my K-50, while also being able to enjoy the feel and optics of high quality MF lenses, just like the ones I used with my Mamiya 645 camera a few years ago. It's the best of both worlds

I am so impressed with the quality of Pentax's MF lenses that I probably WILL buy a few more of them (but nothing over 200mm). I AM having fun with Pentax gear, but must spread it out over time (like mentioned above - a year or so should do the trick).
06-04-2021, 10:37 PM   #29

I have been trying to resist buying more lenses... My will power is strong; my won't power is weak. In the past week I got a nice m42 SMC Takumar 50mm f/4 macro lens, with extension tubes and reversing adaptor, a 50mm f/1.7 K-mount lens, and a soon to be delivered SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens. I am dealing also with a friend on a K-mount 100mm f/2.8 lens and a Pentax LX camera body with a bunch of accessories.

I am finding the mix of my Pentax K-50 digital camera body with these old Pentax MF lenses to be quite satisfying. I am able to see what I shot in playback on my K-50, while also being able to enjoy the feel and optics of high quality MF lenses, just like the ones I used with my Mamiya 645 camera a few years ago. It's the best of both worlds

I am so impressed with the quality of Pentax's MF lenses that I probably WILL buy a few more of them (but nothing over 200mm). I AM having fun with Pentax gear, but must spread it out over time (like mentioned above - a year or so should do the trick).
LOL, I know the feeling! I got back into photography around 2 months ago and in that span I got 2 bodies (K20D and K-5) and 5 lenses (M 50mm F1.7, M80-200 F4.5, Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5, 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 WR, and a K 55mm F1.8 is coming my way). It is quite an addiction. I love the old glass, even the maligned Takumar Bayonet! They are all sharp and have a little bit of pixie dust sprinkled in.

I see that you didn't get a 135mm yet, I implore you to get one!
06-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by koolimy Quote
LOL, I know the feeling! I got back into photography around 2 months ago and in that span I got 2 bodies (K20D and K-5) and 5 lenses (M 50mm F1.7, M80-200 F4.5, Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5, 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 WR, and a K 55mm F1.8 is coming my way). It is quite an addiction. I love the old glass, even the maligned Takumar Bayonet! They are all sharp and have a little bit of pixie dust sprinkled in.

I see that you didn't get a 135mm yet, I implore you to get one!
I appreciate your advice on the 135mm lens. I just made a deal for a SMC Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 lens today. If I can find a SMC Pentax K Series 135mm f/2.5 lens in really good shape later this summer, I will buy it.