Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Focal reducer for MFT

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a MFT camera, not bcoz I don't like Pentax but I want a smaller and lighter setup especially when birding, to save money I will re-use the Pentax lenses that I've so I need an adapter. I'm not familiar with MFT but I did have a Fuji some times ago, since both system are APSC so I can get the same result, I quit using Fuji coz I don't like the handling and menu design of it and decided to turn to MFT, the OM. Since MFT has a smaller sensor so I will get double effective focal length on the Pentax lenses and I don't want that, I wonder if I can use a focal reducer, or such thing exists, to adapt Pentax lenses to the MFT to get similar focal length ?

05-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't that beside the smaller and lighter, using the MFT system on the same lens can give you a longer reach (and actually its not) is why people think its good for birding ? and you want to cut it back ??
05-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a MFT camera, not bcoz I don't like Pentax but I want a smaller and lighter setup especially when birding, to save money I will re-use the Pentax lenses that I've so I need an adapter. I'm not familiar with MFT but I did have a Fuji some times ago, since both system are APSC so I can get the same result, I quit using Fuji coz I don't like the handling and menu design of it and decided to turn to MFT, the OM. Since MFT has a smaller sensor so I will get double effective focal length on the Pentax lenses and I don't want that, I wonder if I can use a focal reducer, or such thing exists, to adapt Pentax lenses to the MFT to get similar focal length ?
Iím struggling with the goal. I own an em1-mk1Ö and itís smaller than my KP but not drastically so. What makes it smaller is really the 2x crop allowing me to use shorter focal length lenses for similar purposes. If you take the da 300 and put it on a focal reducer you will gain a stop of light (on a less low light friendly sensor) but have the same size and weight roughly.

Now on to your question. Read this: K-mount speedbooster to m43 - PentaxForums.com

Basically you can find them but not by the best in breed brand leader metabones. You can make the Canon ef one work using a k to ef adapter. You can also likely take a Nikon one and make changes to it potentially making it work.
05-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank guys for the feedback, the reason I want to reduce the focal length is the crop factor, it is easy and cheap to get long reach with MFT for birding but no so with wide angle shots, the longest lens I've is 500mm good enough for birding with MFT, the shortest lens I've is the 17-70 so I can only get to around 34mm FF equivalent with extension type adapter that's not wide enough, of course the focal reducer will adding cost to the setup.

05-14-2021, 04:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Conventional wisdom is that a focal reducer has an adverse effect on image quality.
Is there a reasonably priced wide angle in native MFT format which would be as cheap as a "good" reducer?
Or close enough that improved image quality would bridge the gap.
05-14-2021, 06:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Conventional wisdom is that a focal reducer has an adverse effect on image quality.
Is there a reasonably priced wide angle in native MFT format which would be as cheap as a "good" reducer?
Or close enough that improved image quality would bridge the gap.
Lens rentals would disagree - at least with the metabones brand. They showed with detailed testing that those devices can increase the level of detail. On m43 that could be important for legacy glass reuse as the level of detail needed is very high due to the tiny pixels and small sensor size. Other cheaper focal reducer are pretty bad when used with lenses wide open, so the situation is dependent on the exact model/brand of the device.

However I completely agree that getting one or two wide angle native m43 lenses would reduce the need for a focal reducer. In this case the op could use the 2x crop to leverage existing glass for long reach and a native lens for wider coverage. Of course this means no autofocus on the adapter lenses which may impact birding depending on methods.
05-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Depending on what lens you want specifically, you could get a used m43 lens for probably less than what a focal reducer would cost. I see kit lenses such as Pana 12-32 for around $100.
05-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Canon EF-M series is smaller than my EM1/2 and a lot lighter. EF-m is like a throwaway canon system and should be getting cheaper and folks jump ship. The 32mm 1.4 is fantastic.
Here is a link to my focal reducer shots with a Roxsen/Pixco, it works great and I think reduces by x.66. My example is for K mount and if using DA lenses then only can be shot wide open.
Roxsen Focal Reducer Pentax K to M43 | Flickr

05-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
Here is a link to my focal reducer shots with a Roxsen/Pixco,
The photo with fir cones is a nice example, has fine detail, strong contrast against the sky. Any noticeable additional flare when using that focal reducer?
05-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank guys for the feedback, I'll consider all the suggestions.
05-15-2021, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
The photo with fir cones is a nice example, has fine detail, strong contrast against the sky. Any noticeable additional flare when using that focal reducer?
I find shooting near the sun my Olly will flare and the focal reducer I find no worse
05-15-2021, 08:50 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find shooting near the sun my Olly will flare and the focal reducer I find no worse
Which lenses specifically?
05-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Which lenses specifically?
If I put the DA15, 21 on an adapter then the blue spots I find and flare are pretty bad. I find the flare from my Olly glass is just ugly and the starbursts same. I find my compact canon G5XmkII does a better job and produces better flare. Putting old Pentax glass on my Olly and using the focal reducer I find look a lot better.
05-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I put the DA15, 21 on an adapter then the blue spots I find and flare are pretty bad. I find the flare from my Olly glass is just ugly and the starbursts same. I find my compact canon G5XmkII does a better job and produces better flare. Putting old Pentax glass on my Olly and using the focal reducer I find look a lot better.
Are those the smc or had da 15/21?

Thereís a known issue with some Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies. Iíd be surprised if something similar wouldnít help the Pentax lenses on the Olympus body. Perhaps the focal reducer adds the right amount of UV reduction.

Purple Fringing with Panasonic MFT Lenses on Olympus MFT Bodies