Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 05:12 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Advice on where to sell pentax gear for a sad peruvian pentaxian travelling to the US

Hey guys!

I Have been a Pentax fan since 2013 when I bought my first k-30, and I would never change to another brand, but I haven't had much time for photography in the last 2 years and have been trying to find a better home for my gear in Peru for the last year with no luck.

The next month I will travel to New York for a week and thought it might be a better opportunity to sell my gear. I am looking for your advice to find the best way to recover some of my Pentax investment while I am there.

Thank you,

Carlos

PD: in case it helps I own a Pentax da* 300 and dfa 100 wr macro in excellent condition, a silver fa 100-300 in good condition, and a Bower 14mm f2.8 in good condition.

05-15-2021, 05:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The quick answer would be KEH, but they are in Atlanta.
I bet either Adorama or B&H would give you a reasonably fair price, and they are both in Manhattan.

– Stephen
05-15-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

Adorama is in New York City. I know they sell used equipment. That said, you will get more selling person-to-person.
Another option would be to remove all of the batteries and cards, throw a big dessicant bag in the case, and hold on to it until life gives you time for photography.

Kirk B.
05-15-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You will get half or less value when/if you sell to a dealer- just a fact of life- they have to make a profit.
Rather than sell them for "peanuts", I'd keep them.

If you don't mind shipping, put them on the trader/for sale forum here at a fair price or "best offer".

05-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
You will get half or less value when/if you sell to a dealer- just a fact of life- they have to make a profit.
Rather than sell them for "peanuts", I'd keep them.

If you don't mind shipping, put them on the trader/for sale forum here at a fair price or "best offer".
I agree

I suggest you post the equipment in the market place asap

I suggest you note in your sale notice that you will be travelling to the US and perhaps you can make a quick sale while you are here
05-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #6

It would be kind of dicey as far as timing goes and if the buyers want to take the risk. Perhaps you could sell them on the Market Place and bring the equipment with you to the US and ship them from the US to the US buyers. Domestic shipping is a lot less than overseas. But then you'd have to deal with unfamiliar shippers and practices.

Probably not practical but just a thought.
05-16-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe due to time, selling to B&H is your best option. Posting in marketplace will require time to post, negotiations payments and shipping.

05-16-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would put it on marketplace, say it will ship from the US on date... X, when you know you'll be there and line up patient buyers

05-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the op places them in the marketplace

There is still the option of selling to Adorama or B & H if no sale in the marketplace by the time the OP reaches the US