Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not ALL about gear.

Add a friend to the walkabout. Share the photo experiences and opportunities. Distribute the load.

05-17-2021, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59:
... I can no longer drive ... tripod is too heavy for me to carry very far ...
Consider adjusting the type of photography that you do to match your physical capabilities, your home, and the available subjects.
  • Macro and still life photography can be done at home.
  • If there are busy streets near you, try street photography.
  • If you live far from an urban center, try night astrophotography from your backyard.
  • Shake reduction and ISO improvements make the monopod/tripod less necessary than in the past.
  • Look for good locations you can easily travel to. What's within your walking capabilities? Is there a reliable mass transit system? Is a weekly taxi or Uber trip to a good spot within your budget?
  • I'm not prying into your medical conditions, but *if* your walking distance is more limited by being out of shape than by permanent conditions, use photography as an excuse to walk more.
05-17-2021, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Consider adjusting the type of photography that you do to match your physical capabilities, your home, and the available subjects.
  • Macro and still life photography can be done at home.
  • If there are busy streets near you, try street photography.
  • If you live far from an urban center, try night astrophotography from your backyard.
  • Shake reduction and ISO improvements make the monopod/tripod less necessary than in the past.
  • Look for good locations you can easily travel to. What's within your walking capabilities? Is there a reliable mass transit system? Is a weekly taxi or Uber trip to a good spot within your budget?
  • I'm not prying into your medical conditions, but *if* your walking distance is more limited by being out of shape than by permanent conditions, use photography as an excuse to walk more.
I am interested in Macro and still love photography, and will be rearranging some books and furniture to make space to do this today.

I live within reasonable walking distance to a popular beach, and will revisit it periodically with my camera, trying different lenses on different days to get a broader sense of what each lens can do.

There is a fairly good transit system where I live, and there are options to travel north or south to visit two other smaller cities.

My budget is a bit tight right now, but things will improve in a month or two. I can't afford long trips, but will explore all of the different communities that can be reached by bus + a bit of walking.

I am using photography as a way to get out and walk more, but my semi-permanent back issues (I might need back surgery) limits how far I can walk, and every day that limit is different.

I recognize the value of and the need to reduce the amount of weight I am carrying on my body itself. A loss of 20 - 25 pounds should be doable. I bought a used mountain bike last year to help me get more exercise, but my doctor hasn't cleared me to use it as I am having some balance issues. If/when that happens, I can increase my photography range, work on getting fitter, lose a bit of weight, and have a more efficient way to get around.

One thing is certain: I am not giving up on photography, regardless of my ailments. I am simply trying to chart a sustainable path forward. With thoughtful responses like yours and the other responders of this thread, I will make it happen. Thanks for your input!

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My dad went to m43. Then to a Sony RX100 mk V. I often have used m43 or smaller cameras but mostly just for simplicity and storage space on a trip.

I can recommend carrying only a few primes as one method to reduce the load. The KP is a lighter body that may fit your needs also.

There are many lightweight carbon travel tripods that work wonders paired with a wireless remote. This works very well with smaller lenses.

Manual focus primes can be lighter also.
I thought about going with an M43 camera and lens package, but didn't for two reasons: The smaller sensor size/higher pixel density, and the higher costs. Going with my Pentax K-50 and being able to use older manual focus lenses gives me more versatility for lower cost. Ideally, I hope to buy two good prime lenses to cover the 50mm+ to 100mm range. Once I do that, I will leave my kit lenses at home, unless I need to do some photography out in the rain.
05-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
I am interested in Macro and still love photography, and will be rearranging some books and furniture to make space to do this today.

I live within reasonable walking distance to a popular beach, and will revisit it periodically with my camera, trying different lenses on different days to get a broader sense of what each lens can do.

There is a fairly good transit system where I live, and there are options to travel north or south to visit two other smaller cities.

My budget is a bit tight right now, but things will improve in a month or two. I can't afford long trips, but will explore all of the different communities that can be reached by bus + a bit of walking.

I am using photography as a way to get out and walk more, but my semi-permanent back issues (I might need back surgery) limits how far I can walk, and every day that limit is different.

I recognize the value of and the need to reduce the amount of weight I am carrying on my body itself. A loss of 20 - 25 pounds should be doable. I bought a used mountain bike last year to help me get more exercise, but my doctor hasn't cleared me to use it as I am having some balance issues. If/when that happens, I can increase my photography range, work on getting fitter, lose a bit of weight, and have a more efficient way to get around.

One thing is certain: I am not giving up on photography, regardless of my ailments. I am simply trying to chart a sustainable path forward. With thoughtful responses like yours and the other responders of this thread, I will make it happen. Thanks for your input!

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 11:15 AM ----------

I thought about going with an M43 camera and lens package, but didn't for two reasons: The smaller sensor size/higher pixel density, and the higher costs. Going with my Pentax K-50 and being able to use older manual focus lenses gives me more versatility for lower cost. Ideally, I hope to buy two good prime lenses to cover the 50mm+ to 100mm range. Once I do that, I will leave my kit lenses at home, unless I need to do some photography out in the rain.
The downside to manual focus on a digital slr is that modern focusing screens are optimized for autofocus and don’t provide a fantastic optical manual focus experience. Get to know how focus confirmation works and also how liveview and magnified liveview and focus peaking work. Bear in mind the shallower depth of field lenses will be hard to mail focus with. The 16 mp sensor is a little more forgiving.

As for m43, data suggests that many 16 and 20mp bodies have virtually the same or even better dynamic range and low iso performance as the k-50. This is mainly due to the age of the sensors and tech improvements made. However expense is a real issue, what you have in the k-50 is great image iq and good ergonomics already paid for!

05-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get to know how focus confirmation works and also how liveview and magnified liveview and focus peaking work.
The Catch In Focus feature is also helpful.
05-17-2021, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I returned to digital photography about six weeks ago, and things aren't what they used to be. In most cases things are better: There has been significant advances in ISO performance, auto-focus, and camera sensor resolution. Things are at a point where it is hard to foresee a need for even more advanced technology. Digital photography has come a long way since 2010.

The price for new camera bodies and lenses is quite a bit higher now, but I guess you get what you pay for. The good news is there are plenty of good deals on used cameras and lenses. I took advantage of that with a Pentax K-50 camera kit I got used. It was never used much (under 1,000 shutter count when I got it at the end of March 2021, and hasn't seen much more use, as the other "significant advancement" has been with some old injuries...

I see a need to limit my photography "focus" to things that can be captured with shorter focal length lenses and/or lighter lenses, because I can no longer drive. I need to get used to using a monopod to steady my shots, as my tripod is too heavy for me to carry very far.

I need to travel light, and I also need to reduce the amount of weight hanging off my neck and back. The good news is the Pentax K-50 camera is fairly light, and Pentax makes some pretty decent prime lenses that are also light.

I am wondering how other photographers have adapted to old age and their own more narrowly defined physical limits? Is it a matter of packing smarter (photography vest, belt with lens pouches, etc), packing lighter, or using just one or two zoom lenses?

I have several lenses (see my signature). I want to have lenses with really good optics, but that often comes with more weight. The Sigma 20-20mm lens I own is a heavy one, but it has really good optics, and the price was right. The Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 is a very light lens with good optics. I am thinking of getting a 70mm f/2.8 pancake lens or a 18-135mm zoom lens, and then calling it quits for lens purchases. Given my situation, what would you do? For those who faced similar issues, what DID you do?
Pentax built the answer 10 years ago. The Pentax Q system. The camera and 2 zoom lenses easily fit in an outstretched hand. Doubt the Q and all 8 available lenses weigh as much as a K-50 weigh 1 zoom.

I know, I know, little sensor. Don't underestimate it. A images may benefit from a little more editing. Look in the Q forum at the amazing images. Especially by Heinrich Lohmann. Buy one of the Q with #01 lens and give it a try. Bet you grab it more often than any other camera. Who needs a neck strap? Wrist strap is fine.

Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 05-17-2021 at 08:16 PM.
05-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO the DA 40mm XS is an exceptionally good prime lens, and usually can be found here in the marketplace for less than $200. I travelled with only that lens and an 18-135mm WR for 6 months and never felt I needed a different prime.

05-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
when ever I buy a back pack I first look for features that makes the pack useful for carrying any type of load such as

[ not my original creation, stolen borrowed from a source I cannot remember now ]

then I look for special features for the expected use of the back pack: in this one, the interior has the loop and hook dividers so you can personalize the interior as you choose, multiple external attachment points and pockets, a " rain " cover and a separate padded section for a lap top or something else

a bad back pack only adds to your problem

ps, I'm only 64 but certainly not in the shape I should be in

my bad
The most important thing is that it's properly sized and fitted to your torso.
05-17-2021, 07:36 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Kendra,

If the 59 after your name is your birth year we have it in common:-) My solution to managing the weight of my gear in my 60’s was to purchase a sturdy dog stroller to take with me on walks. Camera bag and even a tripod fit right in. Mine has built in cup holders which are great for setting a lens in for lens changes and/or taking a beverage in a spill proof container. If you get one with sturdy wheels it can handle most walking terrain. Mine is collapsible and easy to get in and out of the car. My favorite and only camera right now is a Pentax 645Z which is a pretty hefty camera. Quite manageable for shooting without lugging it with my shoulders or back. The stroller just rolls along and allows me to store a lunch and a jacket underneath if I want to make a day of it.
05-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #25

Original Poster
As for m43, data suggests that many 16 and 20mp bodies have virtually the same or even better dynamic range and low iso performance as the k-50. This is mainly due to the age of the sensors and tech improvements made. However expense is a real issue, what you have in the k-50 is great image iq and good ergonomics already paid for!
I wish cost wasn't a factor, but it is. I am liking my experience with the K-50 and the Sigma 10 -30mm and Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 lenses. For this year, I will add one or two prime lenses, and maybe a light weight 4-section travel tripod.

Next year, or perhaps the year after, I will shopping for a K-3iii or KP camera body. The K-3iii is definitely a bit heavier than my K-50, but if I use [rime lenses to cover the 35mm - 100mm focal length and use the Sigma 10-20mm lens for wide-angle photography, I should be okay.

I will limit myself to carrying no more than three lenses at a time, with one always being the Sigma 10 - 20 mm wide-angle and the others most likely being prime lenses.
They will all fit comfortably in my Manfrotto shoulder bag.

I have decided to buy a Think Tank Pixel Racer 3.0 harness, Think Tank Pro Speed Belt V 3.0, and Think Tank Camera Straps V2.0 in a few months. This combination should work pretty well, and will distribute the weight of my camera and lenses across my shoulder and waist.
05-17-2021, 08:30 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish cost wasn't a factor, but it is. I am liking my experience with the K-50 and the Sigma 10 -30mm and Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 lenses. For this year, I will add one or two prime lenses, and maybe a light weight 4-section travel tripod.

Next year, or perhaps the year after, I will shopping for a K-3iii or KP camera body. The K-3iii is definitely a bit heavier than my K-50, but if I use [rime lenses to cover the 35mm - 100mm focal length and use the Sigma 10-20mm lens for wide-angle photography, I should be okay.

I will limit myself to carrying no more than three lenses at a time, with one always being the Sigma 10 - 20 mm wide-angle and the others most likely being prime lenses.
They will all fit comfortably in my Manfrotto shoulder bag.

I have decided to buy a Think Tank Pixel Racer 3.0 harness, Think Tank Pro Speed Belt V 3.0, and Think Tank Camera Straps V2.0 in a few months. This combination should work pretty well, and will distribute the weight of my camera and lenses across my shoulder and waist.
Your plan is perfectly fine. I’m sure you will find a way to make this work.
05-17-2021, 08:46 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Hi Kendra,

If the 59 after your name is your birth year we have it in common:-) My solution to managing the weight of my gear in my 60’s was to purchase a sturdy dog stroller to take with me on walks. Camera bag and even a tripod fit right in. Mine has built in cup holders which are great for setting a lens in for lens changes and/or taking a beverage in a spill proof container. If you get one with sturdy wheels it can handle most walking terrain. Mine is collapsible and easy to get in and out of the car. My favorite and only camera right now is a Pentax 645Z which is a pretty hefty camera. Quite manageable for shooting without lugging it with my shoulders or back. The stroller just rolls along and allows me to store a lunch and a jacket underneath if I want to make a day of it.
What a great idea! I never thought of that... Yes, the 59 is an accurate indicator of my age. I inadvertently took up physical comedy in the late 1980's, and it has taken a toll on my body, so the age factor for that has been 2x.

I am a bit jealous that you have the Pentax 645Z AND figured out how to carry it without pain. I owned a mamiya 645 medium format camera when the Pentax 645Z first came out, and I might have drooled a bit over the great reviews it got.

---------- Post added 05-17-21 at 08:54 PM ----------

There have been a LOT of useful posts on this thread. One thing I am quite grateful for is all the kind supportive words. When I first started this thread, I thought some people might tell me "if you are only 59, quit whining." I am glad to have been proved wrong. Kind, helpful people on this forum...
05-18-2021, 01:13 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
This image took me two weeks of of visits to finally capture. IT never would have happened if I had not made it a point to go to a familiar place and look at the light at that time of day, and think about how I might use it. Fortunately, one of the days, the man and dog were walking into the woods, and I waited until they returned. My patience paid off.
That's a great picture. As sound as your advice
05-18-2021, 02:04 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
That's a great picture. As sound as your advice
Thank you!
05-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have a Joby UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate on my camera bodies

https://joby.com/global/ultrafit-hand-strap-with-ultraplate-jb01277-bww/

it allows me to adjust by grabbing the grip and taking the weight of the camera and lens off of my shoulders

I also vary how I carry the camera and lens , carefully balanced in the crook of my off arm or even balanced on the shoulder
A friend just gave me a Cotton Carrier hand grip, which attaches to the bottom of the camera at the 1/4" threaded part. The strap itself seems durable, but I am not keen on the threaded adaptor that screws into the camera, as it protrudes quite a bit. I will see if I can get used to it.