Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2021, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My main bag is a Ruggard Onyx 45 (holds my ZXL,Tamron 28-75mm & Sigma EX DG 50 macro).
My other bag is a Lowpro Format 140 (I use mainly with my Sears TLS & Vivi 35mm 2.8)

05-19-2021, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Old fashioned Lowepro 202AW sling bag. Great for my APS-C kit, and I even make it work (just) for a cut-down version of my FF kit. I find sling bags more practical than backpacks for street photography and short hikes.
05-19-2021, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A small LowePro backpack for me. It’s enough for my K-70 with lens, an extra lens (even a tele zoom) extra battery, 1-2 filters, charger, an L-bracket, a grey card/ reflector and some pens and a notebook... it holds a tripod strapped to the side and has some side space to hold a water bottle.
05-20-2021, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Lowepro Nova Sport 35L AW and also a 17L AW. They're both great bags, and I love um, but the best part is they cost about $15 (each) new back in 2015.

05-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #20

Original Poster
Anyone know of a good resource for comparing bags, aside from going into a camera store (which are few and far between these days, anyway)?

I love my Domke F-5XB, but I'd really like a similar bag that is just a tad longer, enough to hold one more lens or a large flash. I've been trying to compare Domke models, but their site is slow and doesn't lend itself to comparing items very easily.
05-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neopifex Quote
Anyone know of a good resource for comparing bags, aside from going into a camera store (which are few and far between these days, anyway)?

I love my Domke F-5XB, but I'd really like a similar bag that is just a tad longer, enough to hold one more lens or a large flash. I've been trying to compare Domke models, but their site is slow and doesn't lend itself to comparing items very easily.
Even if you find a camera store, they won't carry everything you may want to look at. The B&H website does have specs and photos of everything they sell. Some of the manufacturers websites have videos etc.
05-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Even if you find a camera store, they won't carry everything you may want to look at.
Oh I'm well aware of that. The nearest camera store to me (a Mike's Camera location) had maybe five or six bags the last time I went in. The only other decent source for bags was Fry's Electronics, but they're closed now.

And yeah, I can look at photos online all day long, but it's really hard to compare that way since they're all shot in different contexts and with different objects inside (if any). It just gets confusing.

Maybe we could start a letter-writing campaign to convince the manufacturers to put rulers in all their product photos...
;D

05-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #23
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
YouTube is a good way of assessing bags if you can find a decent reviewer
05-22-2021, 03:35 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a "camera" bag, simply because for me the situations never demand one:
-Going "for photos" around the city or nearby: I carry the camera on its belt strap and, if needed, a couple extra lenses in a small sling pouch (generic 10€ polyester bag my parents got me for school trips when I was like 12). In winter, the lenses might just go in the jacket pockets
-Meeting someone or I don't feel like using the belt: camera with hand strap in aforementioned bag. The K-1 fits snugly with a smallish prime mounted.
-When hiking or traveling, I want a proper backpack so I carry my Osprey Talon 33 with food, drink and the extra lenses/tripod. Fits like a glove and carries everything.

I understand the appeal of specific camera bags, but I've found that for the situations I find myself in they aren't really useful. The belt clip's the best invention there IMO.
05-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's your go-to camera bag?

My favorite is my old and beat-up Domke F-5XB. I have other bags that are smaller or larger, but the F-5 is just the right size for my camera and one or two lenses... or my Q-7 and the entire line of Q-mount lenses.
Go-to bag depends upon the occasion and the kit; F-5XB is my favourite for APSC with limited primes round town (so good I got a basement-bargain used one from Ebay for my film camera kit)

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I have ordered this bag
The Top Shelf - Super-Fast, All-Access Camera Bag | Indiegogo

A total new design what imho fix all the possible problems with other bags.
This looks interesting - clever combo of sling bag and flipside.

Comparison? probably you tube has helped me the most
Maybe not really what your after from the above description but the F-5XC is very versatile - its a 5XB +50% on the bottom. Here:
Review / Photos : Domke F-5XC Black ( 700-53B ) Bag -- Canon Accessories in photography-on-the.net forums

I use this for travel with a larger APSC kit or a FF kit of primes or (currently) the DFA 28-105/FA 31 and DA*200 on the K-1 (at an angle not vertically)

My go-to bag when water bottle or small rain jacket required round town is the Domke F-803 but again this is for APSC and limited primes - or just the 20-40/55-300 with TC

Most recent pre-loved acquisition from Ebay, is the Domke F-810 - larger than the others but with a simple padded compartment from amazon it fits the K-1 with my manual primes - all 49/52mm filter threads - and remains manoeuvrable and reasonably lightweight.

Hiking/Trekking - Lowepro Protactic 350 - many kit options with this bag.
05-25-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

What's your go-to camera bag?

My favorite is my old and beat-up Domke F-5XB. I have other bags that are smaller or larger, but the F-5 is just the right size for my camera and one or two lenses... or my Q-7 and the entire line of Q-mount lenses.
Hmm......I'd never heard of Domke bags before, but the olive drab one looks nice.......

Both of my bags are massive and it's taken me 20 years to realize I don't need to be carrying 6 lenses and two bodies every time I leave the house.
05-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have some sort of orange colored Tenba I got 4 or 5 years ago. No longer made. An Old Coastal that I got at K-Mart or some such place in the ancient days that still carries my K3 and lenses. I have a couple of backpacks. One given to me last year. Can't remember the brands. Tamrac and Lowepro I believe. They work great but I do not use them much. I have three big lenses a Tamron 70-200 f2.8, a Pentax D FA 150-450 and a Sigma 300mm f2.8 lens that I carry in an old roll about carry on piece of luggage. I cut up some of those floor pads that you get at Harbor freight as padding and when checking in and out of a hotel it just looks like an old piece of luggage. Same when it is sitting in the car.
05-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
Hmm......I'd never heard of Domke bags before, but the olive drab one looks nice.......

Both of my bags are massive and it's taken me 20 years to realize I don't need to be carrying 6 lenses and two bodies every time I leave the house.

I think we've all been there, done that and got the T-shirt
05-26-2021, 04:50 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another vote for the Domke F-5XB. Fits the K-3 Mark III, 55-300PLM and either the 20-40 LTD or some limited primes, plus a couple batteries. And a lens pen and a microfiber cloth in the pocket. That's all you need.
05-26-2021, 05:53 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Oh my!

Don't get me started...

Here goes:

For hiking : Mindshift Gear rotation180 34L
For light outings : Peak Design 10L Sling
For bigger loads on specifically photo-oriented outings : Peak Design Messenger v1 15L
When going to the office : Peak Design Zip 20L backpack
When traveling / carrying a lot of gear : Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L

I have good words for the Mindshift Gear Photocross Sling 13, it only lacked a place to attach a Capture Clip. Also, I really like the Think Tank Signature 13 messenger (same issue, no place for Capture). The Moment Rugged Sling is also pretty nice.

Incidentally, you can read reviews of all those bags here on Pentaxforums.