Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK, while we are talking accessories, what about straps? I have cheap non Pentax neck straps but I have been wondering about sling straps lately. The issue I have is they are more strap to stuff in your bag but I am beginning to wonder

05-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
OK, while we are talking accessories, what about straps? I have cheap non Pentax neck straps but I have been wondering about sling straps lately. The issue I have is they are more strap to stuff in your bag but I am beginning to wonder
I just use an old guitar strap as a bag strap
05-26-2021, 11:59 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I just use an old guitar strap as a bag strap
OK, that's 100 cool points without even seeing it
05-27-2021, 02:37 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never really seen a camera bag that comes anywhere close to a decent hiking bag (with the exception of the Kata bumblebee, but that went out of production around the time I found out about it). So I use a Tenba BYOB (bring your own bag) insert into a Deuter hiking backpack. Not as great for quick accessibility as dedicated bags, but comfortable with good back venting. When hiking, I'd typically keep the camera loose on in the backpack on top of the BYOB for quick access, or only bring the camera with one lens.

Another advantage is that when your bag looks like an old hiking backpack, people won't assume there is valuable stuff inside of it.

05-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Oh! Another fun topic

I used an Op-Tech for several years and have good things to say about those. The best comfort around, certainly. But big and somewhat cumbersome.

Then I switched to Peak Design, still very comfortable although maybe not as much as Op-Tech. However the quick-release system and quick adjustment buckles make it so much more convenient, it can go from neck strap to sling to no strap in moments.

That system made me realize I don't like neck straps at all. These days I rarely use one. Instead I use a custom hand strap made with Peak Design anchors to stabilize the camera in my hand, and a Peak Design Capture Clip on my bag to attach the camera (I have several of those! One on each bag, essentially). That's a much better way to carry a camera.
05-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Looks like there are a few happy Domke F-5XB owners on here.

I haven’t found any local resellers to check out in person, but I’m leaning towards one for light carry days and was hoping for some input.

Will the F-5XB fit either of the two options below:

1)KP w/ FA-50mm lens mounted, plus a DA 21.

2)KP w/ FA-50mm lens mounted, plus a film body w/ A-28 mounted.

I went out shooting yesterday with “option 2 ” on peak design slings and felt like a dork with two cameras across my back.

I’d rather carry them in a bag with wrist straps.

Last edited by trixtroll; 05-27-2021 at 09:50 AM.
05-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #37

Original Poster
Anyone have experience with Think Tank bags? I've just found their Retrospective 7 v2.0, and it seems like a good step up in size from my Domke F-5XB for when I want to carry just a couple more lenses. Thing is, I've never heard of the brand, so I'm just a bit wary of jumping in unprepared.

05-27-2021, 10:15 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neopifex Quote
Anyone have experience with Think Tank bags? I've just found their Retrospective 7 v2.0, and it seems like a good step up in size from my Domke F-5XB for when I want to carry just a couple more lenses. Thing is, I've never heard of the brand, so I'm just a bit wary of jumping in unprepared.
I have a retrospective 7 v1 and I love it. I have room for my KP with a limited plus room for two more plus bits and bobs. Its quite a slim bag, sitting flush to the body and is very discrete, it doesnt look like a camera bag at all, which is great, depending on where you are. Build quality is superb and they are pretty tough. The canvas is showerproof but probably not monsoon proof. Mine was £25, fairly well used but you often see them fetching £80+. Mine will probably be my everyday bag for ever, certainly the foreseeable future because it is a versatile camera/general bag. Check it out on youtube
05-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Neopifex Quote
You can say that:

Think Tank Retrospective 30 V2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Think Tank Urban Access 15 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Mindshift Gear Photocross 15 Backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Think Tank Modular Belt System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Mindshift Gear Photocross Sling Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Think Tank Signature 13 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Think Tank Shape Shifter 17 v2 and Perception Pro backpacks Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Mindshift Gear rotation180° Horizon backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Think Tank are among the 3-4 most reputable camera bag manufacturers on the planet. Quality is many steps ahead of the entry-level like Lowepro and Manfrotto (those are good enough, but not as premium at companies like Think Tank, Peak Design, etc). Their products come with lifetime warranty and are consistently well made.

If you have more specific questions, ask away!
05-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only strap I've used in the last two years is the hand one I have for extra safety . Belt clip all the way!
A neck strap is just good for getting a stiff neck, if you ask me... slings CAN be nice, but they don't work well underneath a backpack, so they are out for hiking.

@Bdery how do you manage to stabilize the camera on the bag's strap with the capture clip? My belt clip can be adapted to a backpack strap, but I've found that the K-1 just pulls/tilts the entire strap sideways, even if I use the chest clip to hold the two straps together... so it's very uncomfortable and flaps around
05-28-2021, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
Looks like there are a few happy Domke F-5XB owners on here.

I haven’t found any local resellers to check out in person, but I’m leaning towards one for light carry days and was hoping for some input.

Will the F-5XB fit either of the two options below:

1)KP w/ FA-50mm lens mounted, plus a DA 21.

2)KP w/ FA-50mm lens mounted, plus a film body w/ A-28 mounted.

I went out shooting yesterday with “option 2 ” on peak design slings and felt like a dork with two cameras across my back.

I’d rather carry them in a bag with wrist straps.
Easily. Mine will fit:
Option 2 - the K-5iis plus DA21 or 70 with the Super Prrogram plus A 35 or 50 or FA43 so you shouldn't have any problems (both on wrist straps too )

and as for option 1 - I carry the K-5iis with the following: DA15/21/35Macro/40/70 Limiteds one of which is fitted to the camera, the other four are in two pairs connected with an Optech back to back K mount adapter - basically two rear lens caps glued together.

---------- Post added 28th May 2021 at 11:40 ----------

I bought a Black Rapid sling years ago now. The quality is excellent and I found it very easy to use. Last few years though I find I prefer a simple paracord wrist strap.

Last edited by W412ren; 05-28-2021 at 03:42 AM.
05-28-2021, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
@Bdery how do you manage to stabilize the camera on the bag's strap with the capture clip? My belt clip can be adapted to a backpack strap, but I've found that the K-1 just pulls/tilts the entire strap sideways, even if I use the chest clip to hold the two straps together... so it's very uncomfortable and flaps around
With my messenger and my sling, I use Peak Design bags with bands to attach the Capture.

For backpacks, I use a variety of models and sizes. I always prefer to attach to the shoulder strap. I mount the Capture higher rather than lower, and always use the chest harness to stabilize the strap (I do this without Capture also). I've always found this method to be quite stable, comfortable, and effective. The water bladder hose goes over the left shoulder and the camera on the right shoulder.

I hope this helps.
05-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
With my messenger and my sling, I use Peak Design bags with bands to attach the Capture.

For backpacks, I use a variety of models and sizes. I always prefer to attach to the shoulder strap. I mount the Capture higher rather than lower, and always use the chest harness to stabilize the strap (I do this without Capture also). I've always found this method to be quite stable, comfortable, and effective. The water bladder hose goes over the left shoulder and the camera on the right shoulder.

I hope this helps.
Ah, thanks. I'll try to clip it closer to the shoulder, I was centering the camera around mid-sternum height and the entire strap "opened sideways" with the weight of the camera, sort of sliding into the armpit.
05-28-2021, 07:19 AM   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Nowadays it's the Billingham 445 with Delta End Pockets.

Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Billingham Delta End Pockets reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
05-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #45
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I used an Op-Tech for several years and have good things to say about those.
I've used the OPTec straps for many, many years. They are a Montana company; and the straps are the most comfortable and durable I've used.