Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just ordered this as my Patagonia sling bag is starting to look very tired.

Think Tank TurnStyle 10 V2.0 Blue Indgo | Wex Photo Video

Will report back when it arrives.

05-28-2021, 10:27 AM   #47

Photos: Albums
Depending on how heavy I'm traveling, I've got a little K+F Concept sling bag for a body and a couple of lenses, or a Wandrd Prvke 31 (old model) for carrying a complete kit (2 bodies, suite of lenses, speedlight, filters, laptop, etc. etc.) on a long trip.

Can easily recommend the Prvke, despite the ridiculous name. I sat down with the sales guy at B+H in Manhattan and went through damn near everything they had before settling on it. Sturdy construction, flexible design, and will fit a good chunk of gear and still fit under an airplane seat. A little pricey but I haven't regretted it.

For a strap, I went Black Rapid Curve style shoulder sling and will never go back. I have never used a neck strap that I didn't hate after a half an hour. Even with lightweight compact cameras. Just not a good place to hang weight from.
05-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
Easily. Mine will fit:
Option 2 - the K-5iis plus DA21 or 70 with the Super Prrogram plus A 35 or 50 or FA43 so you shouldn't have any problems (both on wrist straps too )

and as for option 1 - I carry the K-5iis with the following: DA15/21/35Macro/40/70 Limiteds one of which is fitted to the camera, the other four are in two pairs connected with an Optech back to back K mount adapter - basically two rear lens caps glued together.[COLOR="Silver"]

That is fantastic, thank you! I've been working lots of profitable OT at work lately, so I'll order myself one as soon as I manage to decide on a color.
05-29-2021, 04:32 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Domke F6 has ample room; about twice that of your F5XB.
Like other Domke bags it is simple and easy to work from.

The Domke modular insert system allows you to add as much (or as little) padding as you like.

Chris

05-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #50
Pentaxian

After much deliberation I caved and ordered a Domke F-5xb from B&H this morning. It definitely won’t replace my “vintage” Beseler shoulder bag or my Lowepro backpack, but I bet I carry it more.

Speaking of B&H. I’m afraid to think about all the money that I’ve spent with them since the late 90s.
05-31-2021, 06:05 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Since several people here favoured Domke, let me ask this with all the politeness I can emphasize.

As a guy who has tested and used MANY bags, I cannot for the life of me understand what makes Domke bags appealing. I'm sure I'm missing something, and have not used one extensively, just for a short while. While I don't dispute the quality, Domke are not alone in this. All I see is bags so thick they are cumbersome to carry, with a closure system that takes a while getting into, decent but not unique organization schemes, in short I don't see the appeal. For someone digging the look I'd recommend a Think Tank retrospective anytime, and to anyone else it seems there are tons of better options.

So please educate me as to what I'm missing. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that bags like the one mentioned above are narrow, but with a zippered top opening which means the opening is narrow and risks scratching your equipment. Again, I don'T get it.
05-31-2021, 06:31 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW only the F5-A/B/C models have zippered top openings.
All other Domke models have large open main compartments.

The F5 series also differs in that they have integrated padding.
Other Domke models use optional modular padded inserts.

Chris

05-31-2021, 06:54 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Since several people here favoured Domke, let me ask this with all the politeness I can emphasize.

As a guy who has tested and used MANY bags, I cannot for the life of me understand what makes Domke bags appealing. I'm sure I'm missing something, and have not used one extensively, just for a short while. While I don't dispute the quality, Domke are not alone in this. All I see is bags so thick they are cumbersome to carry, with a closure system that takes a while getting into, decent but not unique organization schemes, in short I don't see the appeal. For someone digging the look I'd recommend a Think Tank retrospective anytime, and to anyone else it seems there are tons of better options.

So please educate me as to what I'm missing. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that bags like the one mentioned above are narrow, but with a zippered top opening which means the opening is narrow and risks scratching your equipment. Again, I don'T get it.
I get this pov because bags are a subjective thing and it often depends upon what's available to look at - even in London I never saw a Thinktank bag in the shops I visited (not saying they weren't in others).
Before buying the F-5XB I tried out lowepro, Tamrac and a couple of other brands that I cannot remember with a basic APSC kit.
For me it's the simplicity and ease of use of the design and they certainly don't feel cumbersome; a common worry is that there is little padding so not sure why you think they are thick either. Having said all that, I am not a Domke FanBoi - if I found a better bag for me I'd buy it and stick my old one on Ebay.
Narrow zippered opening? Not a problem unless you are putting your K-1 into it. Not saying scratches can't happen but I have had my first 5XB since 2012 now and never scratched anything yet.
Versatility-wise I can use this bag for a film camera plus three lenses (24/50/135 for example); I can fit the K-5/3 series cameras with all the DA limiteds or the 15/20-40/100Macro or the 20-40 & 55-300 plus 1.4TC. If it's summer and a bottle of water is required the 5XC does the job.
Closure system is great; very secure when clips are on, just leave un-clipped when quick access is required. People complain about the noise of the velcro fastening - I just keep a spare divider for covering two thirds of it up - no different to your fancy-dancy silent-mode dampeners.

Anyway - had a browse and look at the Retrospective. looks like a decent line and a modern-take on the basic Domke bags like the F-5XB and F-5XC. Who knows, If the availability in the shops was reversed then I might well own one now. Once life gets back to normal I may even go out of my way to find one and try it out.
05-31-2021, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

not sure why you think they are thick either
Maybe I should have used "wide". I mean they extend away from the body quite a lot. Boxy instead of narrow.

Narrow zippered opening? Not a problem unless you are putting your K-1 into it.
Having used bags with zippers in the past, and bags with wide openings, to me having a linear zipper such as this one is enough to disregard a bag completely. If it was U-shaped it would be a different story.

had a browse and look at the Retrospective. looks like a decent line and a modern-take on the basic Domke bags like the F-5XB and F-5XC. Who knows, If the availability in the shops was reversed then I might well own one now.
Crazy when companies miss opportunities because the consumer isn't exposed to the product... happens with Pentax also.

I've written many bag review for Pentaxforums, from over 8 brands. I've come to know what I like and dislike about bags, but I like to learn more and be proven wrong from time to time
05-31-2021, 09:57 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the selling point with the retrospectives, particularly the small ones, is that they are just so discrete. They don't have external pockets and aren't bulky, unlike my crumpler that is the equivalent size to my retrospective 7. The crumpler is very boxy but doesn't hold any more. My other messenger, a manfrotto with a tripod pocket is odd in that it only has a single divider
05-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe I should have used "wide". I mean they extend away from the body quite a lot. Boxy instead of narrow.
Now some definitely are but the F-5XB and C and the F-803 are only just wide enough to fit a K-5/3 or KP. I have used the 5XC for the K-1 but it needs to be a little wider for easier access truth be told.

If it was U-shaped it would be a different story.
I get the U-shape thing but does that not make the bag stiffer and less likely to mould to you ?

I've come to know what I like and dislike about bags
This is the crux of it really. We all want to use our camera bags in a way that suits us - designers nightmare

---------- Post added 31st May 2021 at 18:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I think the selling point with the retrospectives, particularly the small ones, is that they are just so discrete. They don't have external pockets and aren't bulky, unlike my crumpler that is the equivalent size to my retrospective 7. The crumpler is very boxy but doesn't hold any more. My other messenger, a manfrotto with a tripod pocket is odd in that it only has a single divider
There's the "discrete" word I've never understood this; if you need discrete then buy a cheapo messenger bag off Amazon/ebay-type store or local market stall and fit a padded insert.
Apart from random bag snatches the majority of thieves targeting tourists will know exactly what a "retrospective" looks like and contains - or any other brands innocuous looking bag.
05-31-2021, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now some definitely are but the F-5XB and C and the F-803 are only just wide enough to fit a K-5/3 or KP. I have used the 5XC for the K-1 but it needs to be a little wider for easier access truth be told.

I get the U-shape thing but does that not make the bag stiffer and less likely to mould to you ?

This is the crux of it really. We all want to use our camera bags in a way that suits us - designers nightmare

---------- Post added 31st May 2021 at 18:25 ----------

There's the "discrete" word I've never understood this; if you need discrete then buy a cheapo messenger bag off Amazon/ebay-type store or local market stall and fit a padded insert.
Apart from random bag snatches the majority of thieves targeting tourists will know exactly what a "retrospective" looks like and contains - or any other brands innocuous looking bag.
Lol fair point the thefts round here are mostly opportunists or people trying to fund a habit. As for buying a cheap bag, the thinktank bags are well thought out, dedicated discrete camera bags to be honest, I just think they are extremely cool
05-31-2021, 02:24 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
OK, that's 100 cool points without even seeing it
Here's a photo of it. It's a Planet Waves strap, and I use two Harley Davidson snap hooks (got em from a music festival years ago (I think it was Ozzfest?) to attach to the bag.

Here's a photo of the inside of the bag, it's wide & deep enough to hold my ZX-L with Tamron 28-75mm attached and my Kalimar K-90 with the Sigma 50mm Macro attached
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-T113  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-T113  Photo 
06-01-2021, 06:05 AM   #59
Pentaxian

It depends on the bag.

The Retrospective is quite soft, molding to the user.

The Signature 13 (also by Think Tank) is a bag I prefer, it's stiffer but in a good way. It has a U-shaped zipper for extra security but also a top flap.

The messenger I prefer using is the Peak Design 15L, it has no zipper but a wide opening.

I have bags with top zippers, they are sling bags. Again my favourite is the Peak Design (and the recently released V2), closely followed by the Mindshift Gear Photocross.

There's the "discrete" word I've never understood this
It depends. Some people don't like the looks of camera bags screaming their purpose. Particularly relevant where there are thieves. Other bags are designed as "everyday" bags, meant to carry photo gear or not.

Don't get me started on backpacks
06-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the Retrospective. It is softer than a brand new Domke and has built-in padding.

The good news is the Domkes soften up with use; I have even machine washed some of mine.
I sold the Think Tank bag and went back to a simpler, easier to use Domke.

If you like a slimmer deeper bag that conforms to the body take a look at the Domke satchels.

Chris