Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LowePro Passport slingbag. Plenty of space for a couple of lenses, three if smaller, blower, a speedlight, a second camera, lens wipes, sd card case, spare batteries and "misc". My primary camera has a Spider handstrap, and carried on a Spider 2-camera holster belt.

If I'm heading out for a remote shoot needing lights and stands I use a Strobius Standard 85, the finest gear bag I've ever seen. In one relatively compact bag I can carry over a shoulder I pack two light stands, an extension arm, two Phottix umbrella-style softboxes, two Godox AD200's, a pair of Godox V1's, a Godox accessory kit, two remote triggers, X-Rite Passport, gels, light stand mounts, pins, and a light meter. Add that LowePro sling and everything I need for almost any shoot is contained in two bags.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-03-2021 at 04:45 AM.
06-04-2021, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

My Domke F-5xb arrived yesterday and I feel like it will quickly become my go-to bag, thanks to some of the recommendations in this thread.

I just took it on my morning dog walk and it was refreshing to travel light.

I have very slight regrets about not going with the XC, but am still very pleased about how much the XB will hold

KP, P30, gray card, a spare lens cap, and 3 compact primes (28,35,50).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
06-04-2021, 05:12 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I feel like it will quickly become my go-to bag
Good for you if you like your purchase!
06-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #64
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have a PD 3l Everyday sling? I'm particularly interested in what you can fit in, I'm looking at whether a kp with 20-40 a DFA 100wr and a Da 15 ltd would fit in.

I suspect it would be tight but the sling is a perfect size for wknd travel and would fit into my rucksack, when not being used, with all my other stuff and come out by itself once my destination is reached. I think the 6l is probably a bit big for that.

I need to find one in a shop but that's proving easier to say than do.

06-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Does anyone have a PD 3l Everyday sling? I'm particularly interested in what you can fit in, I'm looking at whether a kp with 20-40 a DFA 100wr and a Da 15 ltd would fit in.
You'd probably need the 6L for that, it would be very tight otherwise, if at all possible. I personally like to have a bit more room, so I use the 10L, it lets me add a longer lens, a bottle of water, etc, as needed.
06-04-2021, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #66

Original Poster
My Domke F-5xb arrived yesterday and I feel like it will quickly become my go-to bag
Welcome to the F-5XB Club! We meet weekly, and new members are expected to bring beer and cheese puffs.
06-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have very slight regrets about not going with the XC, but am still very pleased about how much the XB will hold.

Domke F-5XC additional space is on bottom. This space can be accessed from the top
by removing a hard bottom divider or alternatively through a zipper on the lower front.
I found this compartment useful mainly for occasionally used items, e.g. a long lens.

I sold my Domke F-5XC but I still regularly use an F-5XB.
If I wanted a deep narrow bag I'd get a Domke satchel.

Chris

06-04-2021, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #68

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I cannot for the life of me understand what makes Domke bags appealing.

So please educate me as to what I'm missing. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that bags like the one mentioned above are narrow, but with a zippered top opening which means the opening is narrow and risks scratching your equipment. Again, I don'T get it.
What I love about my F-5XB is that it's easy.

Easy to open: The velcro flap is nice and all, but the oversized zipper is the best. It opens like a breeze, even one-handed (to a degree). The zipper teeth are rounded and (I'm guessing) plastic, so there really isn't a risk of scratching equipment. It also opens wide enough that it doesn't get in the way. I've always preferred straight zippers to U-shaped ones, because straight zippers open in one motion. U-shaped zippers generally need two hands and three directions of movement.

Easy to keep clean: You can just toss it in the wash with other heavier items, like jeans or blankets. The padding is minimal (which is just my preference as it keeps the bulkiness down, and I'm pretty careful with any bag, let alone camera bags) so it dries quickly.

Easy to keep at hand: It can be a shoulder bag, belt bag, satchel or sling bag (sort of). I usually keep the shoulder strap extended all the way and wear it diagonally across my body, sitting on my hip or rear end. When I pull it around to my front, the bag is nearly level, making lens-changing and whatnot pretty easy.

Everyone has their bag preference, and it's totally fine if Domke bags don't appeal to you. I just wanted to explain why I love my F-5XB so much.
06-07-2021, 05:27 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Neopifex Quote
Everyone has their bag preference, and it's totally fine if Domke bags don't appeal to you. I just wanted to explain why I love my F-5XB so much.
Thank you for the explanations and again, I hope I'm not coming through as criticizing. I am honestly interested in understanding better the appeal.
The zipper teeth are rounded and (I'm guessing) plastic, so there really isn't a risk of scratching equipment.
I've seen plastic zippers scratch equipment in the past, sadly.

U-shaped zippers generally need two hands and three directions of movement.
I disagree. a good quality zipper with a correctly drawn path will be perfectly fluid. Witness 5 sling bags I've reviewed, as well as the Peak Design Zip backpack. All of those operate beautifully one-handed.

You can just toss it in the wash with other heavier items, like jeans or blankets.
The washer is a fun bonus Others rely on fabrics which are easy to clean but more technical fabrics don't easily go in the washer, indeed.

The padding is minimal
I understand what you mean, although that's not necessarily a perk for everyone. Some companies (Wandrd, Peak Design) keep the padding to a minimum also by cleverly hugging the equipment.

When I pull it around to my front, the bag is nearly level, making lens-changing and whatnot pretty easy.
That's not particularly unique, but a desirable feature I agree.

Thanks for the insight!
06-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Just ordered this as my Patagonia sling bag is starting to look very tired.

Think Tank TurnStyle 10 V2.0 Blue Indgo | Wex Photo Video

Will report back when it arrives.
I am very pleased with the bag. I've removed all but one of the dividers leaving ample room for my KP with either the 16-85 or PLM fitted and safe space for the other lens. A good sized front pocket for spare batteries, memory cards, etc and a rear pocket which easily houses an iPad mini.

It has an integral rain cover and waist strap which stow away neatly when not in use.

An added bonus is that it hangs from my left shoulder as I have arthritis in my right shoulder.

Materials and construction seem quite good for the price and I love the colour.

06-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I only use a bag while transporting my camera and/or flashes from one point to another so ease of use hasn't really mattered. For the past few years Ive used an old messenger bag I found in a consignment shop. If I'm on a hike or walking through town I either just hold the camera in hand or use an OpTech sling strap. I think a bag would be too uncomfortable while out and about.
06-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I may have responded in this thread previously.
Depends on kit, destination and purpose. At one time I tried to fit all my gear in one bag but now a judicious selection is made before leaving the house.
Currently none of the bags are dedicated camera company bags. The line-up is:
1. a leather backpack with three compartment removable packing liner for longer walks as weight goes on two shoulders. Carrys camera and three zooms or teles and portable tripod or flash. Comfortable for tourist hikes.
2.a canvas messenger bag, same removable liner as no 1 but good for travel as it also has a 11" tablet or 13" laptop pocket. Fits same three zooms or teles. One shoulder but packs alot. Also good for photo jobs working out of a vehicle or hotel room.
3. a leather messenger - good for work commute with packed lunch, K3 camera and three DA limiteds, Much smaller in size and very comfortable for everyday carry. Fits the MX and 3 or 4 M lenses if I feel in a retro mood.