Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 04:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

gimbal heads

I have fallen out of love with my Manfrotto joystick head and think a gimbal head might do a better job for holding the DA 300mm/ 1.4X TC combo still.

Does anyone use and recommend one?

05-27-2021, 04:33 AM   #2
dlhawes

I've got one, rather too expensive, made by Benro. Works pretty well, though the knobs aren't as smoothly functional as I'd like - they tend to be on/off rather than gradually tighter and looser. Other problem is that if I use a camera with a battery grip (i.e., all the cameras I have), there isn't enough distance between the mounting screw hole in the bottom of the grip (since it's offset somewhat to the left) and the angled support beam on the horizontal component of the gimbal. I use a modified macro focusing rail to get a bit of height on the camera/grip combination so that it clears that beam. This is no problem when using a lens with its own foot, though, since I'm not clamping the battery grip down to the gimbal, but the lens.

What I've got is a couple of years' earlier version of this:
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/cksQSu4baDa7qarREy6wgB-970-80.jpg.webp

You'll notice the triangular reinforcing beam at the lower corner of the arm with the raise/lower control knob - that's the thing that causes the interference. I got that picture link off this web page which may give you some more pointers:
The best gimbal heads in 2021 | Digital Camera World
05-27-2021, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Not inexpensive, but very light and very stable.

Katana Jr. Pro. GKJRC Katana Pro Gimbal Head Telephoto Lens Side Mount Clamp

A suggestion. Get a LensCoat for it or it will develop feet and walk away. Stunning piece of hardware that attracts eyes.
05-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this one: Nest Carbon Fiber Gimbal Head Distributor

Don't know if they are still available; but actions on it are very smooth, holds large lens very well. Looks great! I couldn't be happier, especially at the price I got it at; less than $300!

05-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to use the Manfrotto U-shaped gimbal and really like it, but as I was using a manual focus lens the U-shape got in the way, so I moved to an older Wimberley one so I could get to the left side of the lens.

I picked them up used for something like £120 each
05-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

Don't know if they are still available; but actions on it are very smooth, holds large lens very well. Looks great! I couldn't be happier, especially at the price I got it at; less than $300!
I don't think you can get them anymore, at least in the US,
05-27-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I currently have a Movo GH1000 MKII Heavy-Duty Carbon Fiber Double Gimbal. It's like the Manfrotto but uses an Arca-Swiss plate. Probably going to get a Movo GH600 Vertical, Portrait Mount Carbon Fiber Gimbal to use on my monopod and the Eckla Eagle window mount I just bought.

05-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently picked up one of these from the river of women warriors:
Neewer Professional Heavy Duty Metal 360 Degree Panoramic Gimbal Tripod Head with Standard 1/4'' Quick Release Plate and Bubble Level

Using it with a set of Manfrotto legs,
Have used it with my K3, DA300+1.4 & Bigma, not shot a lot with it yet, but it makes tracking things easier, spent a Saturday afternoon at an RC airfield with it and my keeper rate went up a bit from the pan and tilt head I had been using, still need to practice more with it, but it seems to meet my needs,
Appears solidly built and lots of adjustment possible for tension in the pan and tilt functions, and adjustment to balance the camera+lens position
05-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

Yes, I have one of these as well, It's excellent for the money.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't think you can get them anymore, at least in the US,
I think I remember maybe a rebranding of them, Sevenoak gimbal seems to ring a bell.

The Movo Gimbals look just like the Wemberly Gimbals. The Sidemount ones are OK, and save on weight, but are harder to correctly balance Lens and camera combos, and put a little extra strain on the lens foot as well, especially if the lens foot is the removable type as on the DFA 150-450, DFA 70-200 and the DA 300. The Foot is designed to support the weight of the lens directly above it, in a vertical position . not holding it out sideways.
05-28-2021, 07:27 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Wimberley is about the most well known, but here in the UK... I'm hearing lots of good things about the brand Lensmaster (see link below).

https://www.lensmaster.co.uk

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-28-2021 at 12:54 PM.
05-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Might also look at two-way pan/tilt heads like the Acratech long lens head. Leofoto makes a knock-off that I bought instead, very nicely constructed.

They weigh less than gimbals and take up less space in a bag.

Best with a leveling base tripod though.
05-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like CSA I have a Nest gimbal head. No longer available. There were sold out of Camera Cottage in Billings Mt. He closed shop a few years ago.

Like Kerrowdown mentioned I also have a LensMaster. Mine is the RH-2 full gimbal. Excellent head at a good price. It took about 7 days to get from England to western, New York state in pre ccovid days. It is simple, well made, easy to take apart for cleaning and built to withstand a nuclear blast. Comes with two Arca plates too. I really like mine.