Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Major Vent: Considering Departure from Pentax - Frustrations with Repairs

Hello all,

I have been a Pentax user since doing a bunch of research on value and brand, and buying a K-3 in 2017. I have been on these forums since I bought the camera, and have found the users here friendly, supportive, interesting, and informative.

I never thought I would consider leaving Pentax, but given some recent frustrations, it is becoming a serious consideration.

I bought a K-1 at a very good price from a user here, knowing I might need a new shutter for it (given the high actuations). I used it for a year or so, then sent it to Precision for a shutter replacement, which they did a good job upon and got it back to me quickly.

About the same time I got it back, I bought the D FA 28-105mm lens. I have never been able to get the lens to focus consistently through the viewfinder. Today, in the same light (outdoors, midday bright, though on a lightly shaded porch),the live view focus works fine - perfectly. Switching to the viewfinder, the lens does not even attempt to focus - it acts like the switch is set to MF. I tested it back and forth 2-3 times, and no dice. I had it mounted on a tripod, with two charged batteries (in body and grip).

The 28-105mm is the only lens that does this consistently with the K-1. My Tamron A001 70-200 works fine, with and without TC. An older Promaster 70-300 tele-macro does have focus issues, but I put that down to the age of the lens.

I sent the K-1 back to Precision to test, along with the Tamron, and they were unable to reproduce the issues. They also tested with their in-house 28-105 and had no problems they could find.

I feel extremely frustrated, and now suspicious of newer Pentax lenses. How can I purchase more Pentax products if a brand-new 28-105 after now being factory warranty checked, will not function properly on my K-1, especially after my K-1 (with a new shutter and otherwise health-checked by Precision) is itself in fine working condition (and functions well with an third-party, older, lens)?

I made a video illustrating my issues, and I have sent it along to Precision for their opinion. I am now outside their re-work period. If they come back and recommend sending the K-1 and lens to them again, I am torn as to whether to do so, or simply sell and change to Canon or Nikon or Sony.

06-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
dlhawes

My experiences were similar to yours. I wonder, though, whether it isn't a matter of the contacts not making their connections. I've had lenses act that way on a few occasions with both Canon and Pentax cameras, and each time, simply removing and reinstalling the lens solved the problem.
I've taken the position that Ricoh/Pentax simply does not have "customer service" or "support" functions - like applying for disability payments with the SSA or medical care from the VA, they seem to exist to simply deny claims - the attitude is "ok, let's see you make me." I've found that Precision does good work if you pay up front and don't use the phrase, "warranty service"; but when they're acting as Ricoh's agents, getting something done and done right under warranty is like pulling teeth without an anaesthetic. I've still got a lot of Pentax stuff that works fine (other than one lens that had the SDM problem "fixed" under warranty - my one success story as to "warranty service", but which has since bitten the dust again for exactly the same reason - they'd replaced the original defective part with a new defective part). So I'm keeping and using the stuff I've got until it dies.
I've never liked Nikon; it's always felt like too much money for too little product. And Sony's been on my "do not buy list" since the Walkman days for reasons that Ricoh now is.
I've always liked Canon since the AE-1 came out (the commemorative lens cap reads, "Official Camera of the 1980 Olympics"), so I went out and bought a Canon EOS model 5DS-R with some appropriate lenses when I found Pentax to be administratively impaired. (Saved money by buying a camera that's been out for three or four years, but which is still a fantastic machine.)

My experience with Canon gear is a lot like my experience with early word processors. You may be old enough to recall a product called, "WordPerfect". Everyone was buying WordPerfect because the Orem, Utah company had a reputation for outstanding customer support. I went with Lotus WordPro, which I still, in fact, use on an old XP machine. My observation at the time was, why not just get a product that really works? In other words, why would you buy a product that needs "customer support" so badly that it was the one issue that compelled people to buy the software? Same thing here. My recent Pentax stuff (I hadn't used one before I bought the K-1 since I was a sophomore in college) has been full of problems - and they don't even have a good reputation for customer support. I'm going with Canon, I'm sure like any manufactured product, they're going to have problems, but I've never had one with anything I bought with their label on it, nor have I known anyone with such a problem. Let alone a customer service complaint.

Now, let me tell you what I REALLY think...
06-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I made a video illustrating my issues, and I have sent it along to Precision for their opinion. I am now outside their re-work period. If they come back and recommend sending the K-1 and lens to them again, I am torn as to whether to do so, or simply sell and change to Canon or Nikon or Sony.
Sony uses Precision too as their authorized warranty repair. So FYI.
06-04-2021, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
My experiences were similar to yours. I wonder, though, whether it isn't a matter of the contacts not making their connections. I've had lenses act that way on a few occasions with both Canon and Pentax cameras, and each time, simply removing and reinstalling the lens solved the problem.
I've taken the position that Ricoh/Pentax simply does not have "customer service" or "support" functions - like applying for disability payments with the SSA or medical care from the VA, they seem to exist to simply deny claims - the attitude is "ok, let's see you make me." I've found that Precision does good work if you pay up front and don't use the phrase, "warranty service"; but when they're acting as Ricoh's agents, getting something done and done right under warranty is like pulling teeth without an anaesthetic. I've still got a lot of Pentax stuff that works fine (other than one lens that had the SDM problem "fixed" under warranty - my one success story as to "warranty service", but which has since bitten the dust again for exactly the same reason - they'd replaced the original defective part with a new defective part). So I'm keeping and using the stuff I've got until it dies.
I've never liked Nikon; it's always felt like too much money for too little product. And Sony's been on my "do not buy list" since the Walkman days for reasons that Ricoh now is.
I've always liked Canon since the AE-1 came out (the commemorative lens cap reads, "Official Camera of the 1980 Olympics"), so I went out and bought a Canon EOS model 5DS-R with some appropriate lenses when I found Pentax to be administratively impaired. (Saved money by buying a camera that's been out for three or four years, but which is still a fantastic machine.)

My experience with Canon gear is a lot like my experience with early word processors. You may be old enough to recall a product called, "WordPerfect". Everyone was buying WordPerfect because the Orem, Utah company had a reputation for outstanding customer support. I went with Lotus WordPro, which I still, in fact, use on an old XP machine. My observation at the time was, why not just get a product that really works? In other words, why would you buy a product that needs "customer support" so badly that it was the one issue that compelled people to buy the software? Same thing here. My recent Pentax stuff (I hadn't used one before I bought the K-1 since I was a sophomore in college) has been full of problems - and they don't even have a good reputation for customer support. I'm going with Canon, I'm sure like any manufactured product, they're going to have problems, but I've never had one with anything I bought with their label on it, nor have I known anyone with such a problem. Let alone a customer service complaint.

Now, let me tell you what I REALLY think...
I have a friend who uses Canon semi-professionally, and loves it.

I paid Precision up front, and they've been very good about troubleshooting the K-1 after doing a replacement of the shutter and checking all the other problems. However, I am starting to wonder if I am crazy when their engineers cannot duplicate a problem which is obviously occurring right in front of my eyes.

It could be a contact issue someplace, but when the camera was just cleaned and checked by Precision and the lens was just warranty checked by Pentax at their factory and the problems are the same I was having in February...

---------- Post added 06-04-21 at 01:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Sony uses Precision too as their authorized warranty repair. So FYI.
Oh, well, then it might be Canon if I cannot get this resolved.

06-04-2021, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lack of a decent support system is the primary reason why, if I ever decide to give up my lovely older glass and sink money into a modern long telephoto lens, it will not be with Pentax.

I view several photography gear related forums and have seen equipment failures from every system, so it's not reliability/durability I'm especially concerned with... but if something breaks, either through a defect in the gear or a user-generated mishap, I want to have confidence that I can send the damaged item for repair and have it returned in (somewhat) timely fashion. And I have no confidence in Pentax's ability or willingness to do this - at least here in the USA.
06-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I paid Precision up front, and they've been very good about troubleshooting the K-1 after doing a replacement of the shutter and checking all the other problems. However, I am starting to wonder if I am crazy when their engineers cannot duplicate a problem which is obviously occurring right in front of my eyes.

---------- Post added 06-04-21 at 01:38 PM ----------

When it comes to cannot duplicate the issue/problem. Reminds me of a family member who bought a new Jeep and whenever there was an issue, and there were plenty...invariably the dealer said cannot duplicate the issue and did nothing.

Odd thing was he took it to another Jeep dealer, they could always duplicate the issue and always did a good job of fixing it.
06-04-2021, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

If I had purchased the 28-105 and it performed like that I would consult with the seller and request a return. The seller could possibly test with another K-1 body to see if the lens performs as it did when you used it (viewfinder or live view use). If the lens does not have a problem, it may be the camera.

I have never had AF problems with my K-1 II which I bought new, with any of my Pentax or Sigma for Pentax lenses.

I don't want to seem sarcastic, but I have always bought new Pentax equipment to avoid having any second hand problems. I also treat my equipment very well.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-04-2021 at 03:20 PM.
06-04-2021, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Did you buy your D FA 28-105 new or used ?

Have you tried that lens on any other Pentaz body ? It's possible the lens is at fault.

Just as it's possible the body is.

I bought a K1-II with D FA 28-105mm 3 years ago. Within a month, it made a fall on rocks with the lens and grip on it. Still worked. I had to send it to Precision for a credit card insurance claim - cost of making it like new, which meant a new housing at the very least.
Precision voided the warranty due to the fall, as expected .
But they took 2 months to give the estimate and return the camera. It was really hard to get it back.
They didn't provide any estimate for the grip scuffs. They said grips are not repairable. In the end I got $400 back from Amex which was the housing estimate. They denied the claim on the grip because it was a promotional so-called free item as part of a package with the camera and lens. Of course that's BS as I would not have paid the same price without the grip. I gave up fighting with Amex insurance over the $200 on the grip.

The good news though is that my combo of camera, lens and grip still works fine despite the cosmetic issues.

I agree with you that Precision is terrible to work with. I would not recommend Amex either, for the matter.

I think there should be better consumer laws in the US to allow warranty claims to be processed by other shops. Having a single national service center that's so terrible is not a good look.

I know that doesn't help your problem, unfortunately. I think you should try the lens on another body first. Look for another local Pentax owner here on the forums. Or on Facebook or craigslist. And just try it.
06-05-2021, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #9

I always wonder why people essentially vent in to the ether rather than addressing their concerns in say a letter to the President of Ricoh Imaging. As my mom would say in less politically correct terms "Why deal with the serfs when you can deal with the lord of the manor?"

I've gotten satisfaction the few times I've written to the president of some corporation.
06-05-2021, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
my friend i shoot with a lot uses canon mirrorless and has used canon clear back to the film days and he will tell you pretty much the same thing about repair and warranty problems. even places with consistent 5 star reviews has made someone mad along the way. i have had 3 experiences with precision over the years one was a pain right where i sit which was cured with a couple calls to Pentax directly, but the other two were flawless. all were under warranty one the factory warranty on the DFA 70-200 and the other was a damaged K-1 through new leaf. got a super fast turn around in both cases. no matter what brand you use there will be some people who have problems.
06-05-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The neighbor’s adult son shoots Canon. 3 separate times his 16- something lens has developed zooming issues where the ring gets stuck. He keeps paying to have it repaired. Precision sucks. But so do most repair options for most users. Consumer gear is not made to the standards of yesteryear.

If I was a pro that depended on my gear for a living Pentax wouldn’t make the list due to a lack of pro level support available. But as an amateur with occasional sales, I’m completely fine with the risks. I don’t feel like Pentax poses more risk than any other brand for consumers.
06-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If I had purchased the 28-105 and it performed like that I would consult with the seller and request a return. The seller could possibly test with another K-1 body to see if the lens performs as it did when you used it (viewfinder or live view use). If the lens does not have a problem, it may be the camera.

I have never had AF problems with my K-1 II which I bought new, with any of my Pentax or Sigma for Pentax lenses.

I don't want to seem sarcastic, but I have always bought new Pentax equipment to avoid having any second hand problems. I also treat my equipment very well.
I bought the K-1 used. However, I purchased the 28-105mm lens new from B&H. That lens has now gone to Precision, then on to the factory, for warranty review, and has been returned without any issues found.

---------- Post added 06-05-21 at 10:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I always wonder why people essentially vent in to the ether rather than addressing their concerns in say a letter to the President of Ricoh Imaging. As my mom would say in less politically correct terms "Why deal with the serfs when you can deal with the lord of the manor?"

I've gotten satisfaction the few times I've written to the president of some corporation.
That's a decent idea. I'd been used to sending things to the president of some corporation only when there was a complaint and / or subpoena involved. Perhaps a letter to the president would work.

---------- Post added 06-05-21 at 10:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Did you buy your D FA 28-105 new or used ?

Have you tried that lens on any other Pentaz body ? It's possible the lens is at fault.

Just as it's possible the body is.

I bought a K1-II with D FA 28-105mm 3 years ago. Within a month, it made a fall on rocks with the lens and grip on it. Still worked. I had to send it to Precision for a credit card insurance claim - cost of making it like new, which meant a new housing at the very least.
Precision voided the warranty due to the fall, as expected .
But they took 2 months to give the estimate and return the camera. It was really hard to get it back.
They didn't provide any estimate for the grip scuffs. They said grips are not repairable. In the end I got $400 back from Amex which was the housing estimate. They denied the claim on the grip because it was a promotional so-called free item as part of a package with the camera and lens. Of course that's BS as I would not have paid the same price without the grip. I gave up fighting with Amex insurance over the $200 on the grip.

The good news though is that my combo of camera, lens and grip still works fine despite the cosmetic issues.

I agree with you that Precision is terrible to work with. I would not recommend Amex either, for the matter.

I think there should be better consumer laws in the US to allow warranty claims to be processed by other shops. Having a single national service center that's so terrible is not a good look.

I know that doesn't help your problem, unfortunately. I think you should try the lens on another body first. Look for another local Pentax owner here on the forums. Or on Facebook or craigslist. And just try it.
The 28-105 is brand new, and now has been to Precision and Pentax for warranty repair. It is possible the body is at fault, as this is the only lens I have which has KAF3.

---------- Post added 06-05-21 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The neighbor’s adult son shoots Canon. 3 separate times his 16- something lens has developed zooming issues where the ring gets stuck. He keeps paying to have it repaired. Precision sucks. But so do most repair options for most users. Consumer gear is not made to the standards of yesteryear.

If I was a pro that depended on my gear for a living Pentax wouldn’t make the list due to a lack of pro level support available. But as an amateur with occasional sales, I’m completely fine with the risks. I don’t feel like Pentax poses more risk than any other brand for consumers.
This is a good reality check, too - thanks, UV.
06-05-2021, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The guy who ran the photography Meetup I'm in was a Canon shooter. He used the 'Professional' 6D with the 24-105/4...Right before he retired to travel out west and become the new Ansel Adams the 6D stopped focusing any lenses. After getting a repair quote he decided to buy a RF with the EOS adapter instead of getting the 6D repaired or a 6D Mk II.
06-05-2021, 01:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have posted about a similar issue with my Fa 28-105, a a little work around I do to get it by here:
HD D FA 28-105/3.5-5.6 occasionally refuses to focus on K-1 - PentaxForums.com

See if it works for you too.
06-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
I have posted about a similar issue with my Fa 28-105, a a little work around I do to get it by here:

Hmm. Interesting. I'll try this out.

---------- Post added 06-05-21 at 03:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote

No such luck. It seems to auto-focus on occasion, but it's hard to tell what that occasion might be.