Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2021, 06:18 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Things you see when you don't have a camera.

Today I was at work on the road picking up some materials and on the return trip a Hawk like I have never seen before glides across the road it front of me and lands in a tree, I couldn't guess what type Hawk it was at first but when it landed I could see the red tail feathers. Now I have seen and photographed many Redtail Hawks but what made this one special was that it was totally white except for the couple red tail feathers, it was a leucistic Red-Tailed Hawk. How I would have liked to get that one!

06-09-2021, 06:44 PM - 12 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's well known that rare and fantastic creatures seek out camera-less humans to taunt. It's a variant of the fact that UFOs target solitary pick-up truck drivers on lonely back roads. Both are adult versions of having siblings that are angels when the parents are near and devils when the parents turn their backs!

Such are the mocking ways of the universe!

Last edited by photoptimist; 06-10-2021 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typo
06-09-2021, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Today I was at work on the road picking up some materials and on the return trip a Hawk like I have never seen before glides across the road it front of me and lands in a tree, I couldn't guess what type Hawk it was at first but when it landed I could see the red tail feathers. Now I have seen and photographed many Redtail Hawks but what made this one special was that it was totally white except for the couple red tail feathers, it was a leucistic Red-Tailed Hawk. How I would have liked to get that one!
Feel your pain, I got tired of that too, tried having a P&S with me for a while, and a phone is even worse, If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!
I carry a kit with body, 18-135, 55-300 and a small prime or two, all in a small Domke bag with me most places.

Some days its just for the exercise, but it's nice to know you have it, and sometimes, if I have time to kill, or need to take a break from real life, it's nice to just stop and try to make a picture or two.
06-10-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
dlhawes

And, even when you've got your camera, there's no place to pull over so as to get out and take the picture.

06-10-2021, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw three old men with a step ladder and a mop, trying to clean a speed limit sign. It was like a scene from buster Keaton and all I had was my infrared,..... So I took it anyway! OK, so their faces are blue, ... Its still one of my favourites
06-10-2021, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As dlhaws said even if you have your camera. We were on a backroad in Wind Cave NP, South Dakota and a Pronghorn was "rooting" in the wildflowers by the side of the road. We surprised him/her and when his/her head raised it was draped with wildflowers. The k70 was inches from my hand but by the time I reacted the Pronghorn was leisurely moving away (leisure for a Pronghorn is 30MPH). Such is life.
06-10-2021, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
As dlhaws said even if you have your camera. We were on a backroad in Wind Cave NP, South Dakota and a Pronghorn was "rooting" in the wildflowers by the side of the road. We surprised him/her and when his/her head raised it was draped with wildflowers. The k70 was inches from my hand but by the time I reacted the Pronghorn was leisurely moving away (leisure for a Pronghorn is 30MPH). Such is life.
An hour ago I had some minutes to kill, so I walked through a Schrebergarten (allotment / community garden), camera in a messenger bag, looking for inspiration. And wouldn't you know it, a few meters away from me a (presumably) falcon took off into the sky. I immediately went for the camera in my bag, and by the time I had it out and ready (luckily the 55-300 PLM was on it already), all I could see of the bird was its shadow circling around me and when I tried to spot it in the sky, all I got was blinded by the midday sun By the time I could spot it in the sky again it was already quite far away

06-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Hawk like I have never seen before glides across the road it front of me
Dashcam?
06-10-2021, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've missed shots of a Bigfoot family twice . . . oh, an' three unicorns -- one with a colt.
06-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I've missed shots of a Bigfoot family twice . . . oh, an' three unicorns -- one with a colt.
Me too, but I have better luck with Dragons. Just toss 'em a Canikon user to incinerate, and they're happy as a cat with a cream-filled canary.
06-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to always see unusual butterflies/insects/birds when I'm out without a camera. Sometimes I can snap a blurry photo with my phone for later identification, but its not the same.
06-11-2021, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Dashcam?
Still trying to find a dashcam with a 400 mm lens
06-12-2021, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, it seems the birds know the focal length I am using. My best red tailed hawk shot is with a 28-108 mm lens. I have yet to match this with my da560

06-12-2021, 04:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Still trying to find a dashcam with a 400 mm lens
About 10 years ago, driving through a remote forest in North Wales, at dusk, just as a thundestorm was about to start and the air was "electric", a disoriented owl struck my car windscreen with a thud . I hope he was OK. Didn't have a dashcam back then, but it would have needed a fisheye lens to get all the action. There followed one of the worst storms I have ever been in - took refuge in the Royal Goat Hotel, Beddgelert
06-15-2021, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Way way back in the 1970s - I cannot remember whether i had my K2 or my ME, ready in hand, looking for birds or butterflys. Early morning. Misty. I crossed the road from my house to the bush on the other side. My dog, and my neighbour's dog, followed me. My dog was perhaps just under a metre tall, my neighbour's dog was a dachsund - eight inches high if that. I was standing amongst the trees, the early morning sun rays shining through the trees and mist. The two dogs, side by side, started walking away from me.
PIcture it: these two dogs, such contrasting sizes, side by side, tails high, walking away through the trees in the early morning mist, sunrays shining through the trees and mist. I watched, entranced. And did not lift my camera!!!!!! I have missed not taking that shot for the last 40+ years!!!