Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2021, 09:38 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cousins

My kit has changed more than my hair color in the past several years. I migrated towards micro43 recently, finally learning after numerous trials & errors that the EM1 Classic is the best fit in me. It's a shame i went through so many models only to learn the one i skipped over was the one.

That experience taught me what I'd like in a non-m43 body, so I wandered the web for something with a higher-level sensor that was compact, well featured and different. And so here I am again, never havng quite left*, with a KP.

They are similar in size and several features like WR, ibIS, and tip screens, but enough different in several details. The gen.1 eM1 doesn't have Oly's HiRes mode, for example, and the KP doesn't use ibIS wuth video. They will each find their place.

Good times ahead, and new tricks that my K-5 era didn't prepare me to experience!

* I've been away for too long (Soundgarden) now plays in my head..

Attached Images

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 06-10-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Space
06-10-2021, 01:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That is just lovely!
Beeing a pentaxian myself, Olympus is the only other brand which has seduced me. The EM-1 is a beautiful camera and a workhorse.
06-10-2021, 03:44 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My kit has changed more than my hair color inthe past several years. I migrated towards micro43 recently, finally learning after numerous trials & errors that the EM1 Classic is the best fit in me. It's a shame i went through so many models only to learn the one i skipped over was the one.

That experience taught me what I'd like in a non-m43 body, so I wandered the web for something with a higher-level sensor that was compact, well featured and different. And so here I am again, never havng quite left*, with a KP.

They are similar in size and several features like WR, ibIS, and tip screens, but enough different in several details. The gen.1 eM1 doesn't have Oly's HiRes mode, for example, and the KP doesn't use ibIS wuth video. They will each find their place.

Good times ahead, and new tricks that my K-5 era didn't prepare me to experience!

* I've been away for too long (Soundgarden) now plays in my head..

great looking kit - welcome back....
06-10-2021, 04:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am a long time Pentax user and recently also got the K3-III, but alongside I also have the Olympus EM1X. It is strange but I immediately settled in with this camera, the design, the ergonomics, and the extreme customizability. The way Olympus communicates with their customers, everything well organized, and all details well thought out into perfection is in strong contrast with Pentax. However, Pentax and Olympus are both underdogs, so that is certainly a binding factor.

I don't want to pick off customers from Pentax, but nowadays you can get an EM1X body with the same price as the K3-III, and if you like small well built lenses similar to the Limited series, Olympus has a few of them too. And if you are cautious about Olympus's future, be aware Pentax could be in the exact same situation tomorrow. That is a similarity between these two brands too, albeit less positive.

06-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too own a KP and an em1. I however find the em1 very confusing compared to my Panasonic bodies (GX1,GX7, GX8). I agree that the Olympus is a good camera but I’d love to know more about the journey, what didn’t work for you? What was your path the lead here?
06-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I too own a KP and an em1. I however find the em1 very confusing compared to my Panasonic bodies (GX1,GX7, GX8). I agree that the Olympus is a good camera but I’d love to know more about the journey, what didn’t work for you? What was your path the lead here?
At some point I was completely fed up with the introduction of the K3-III endlessly postponed (and the bicker about flippy screens on this forum), so I looked for an alternative to shoot monochrome in particular. After a search among all brands, I spent 3 days unraveling the EM1X manual (680 pages) to look for a skeleton in the cupboard, but all signs stayed green and I snapped it up when the price went down. I also looked what lenses were available and saw some small high quality metal lenses (I got the 12 and 17mm). However an 28mm equivalent (my standard lens) was not available so I got a Panasonic 14mm F/2.5 for that.

For setting up the camera for monochrome shooting, a Pentax is far more convenient using Custom Image Monochrome, including color filters, and also the D-Range feature. All of this can also be done with the EMIX but most of it is deeply hidden into the menu structure. So, actually the Pentax is an excellent choice for shooting JPEG and all the choices you have in Custom Image. So in the end I also got a K3-III.

The EM1X (and the EM1 which is virtually the same camera) is endlessly customizable to the point you can invent a feature for yourself and then search the manual if it is available. And most of the time you can indeed find it. Notably the viewfinder can be customized in great detail, showing a big histogram live, a zoom option for focusing manual, and grid lines (which are also customizable by themselves) etc. Of course a disadvantage is that all these features must be set via the menus, which is a very large structure and only understandable with the user manual as a guide. All the items though have a Help by pressing the INFO button on the item.
06-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I agree Uncle, the Lumix gear has far more sensible ergonomics & menus for me also. I complained at the µ43 Olympus forum once "what if I want to shoot 2 fish, I only have 1-fish or 3-fish setting?"

My happy camera for quite a while was the GX1, then GX7. Neither was great for larger or adapted lenses though, not enough grip - and once 4k arrived the features I liked most were sacrificed. I liked the GX85 but it lacked the AF/MF switch that I used a lot - and when that came back on the GX9 I suddenly had a separate EV bias dial which I didn't think as much of, nor was the 3-setting AF dial to my taste. And everything went to the flipout screen, which I can manage but like less than tip-ups. The GX8 used flipout and EV dial and wasn't a great fit. I almost loved the eM1.ii, but someone dumped their em1 Classic for cheap and I liked it better. The idea of AF limiting in body and AF-on button on my middle shooting finger were nice though. I tried a few PENs for compactness but those of course are also lousy for larger lenses.

Still learning the KP, silly me I shot a bit before resetting all parameters so it confused me more than it should have. For starters I'll have 18-50re and 50-200wr for light kit in heavy weather, plus DA15/A28/A50/M135 for relaxed amusement. More Limiteds (70/2.4 at least!) and something around 100mm once finances are more settled.. that's been a 7-year problem for me, wife's health issues and random events make plans hardly worth making. Covid didn't help there at all, but we've been blessed in our family with no related events.

I keep my kit updated at https://granitix2.blogspot.com/2020/11/kit.html - no more separate posts every time I change something. That's why I now post time of day and not just the day something changes

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 06-10-2021 at 12:37 PM. Reason: bonus material!
06-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The gx7 is still one of my favorite m43 bodies. I love my KP as well. Enjoy the new kit.