Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 02:23 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I think your film camera might have a rose tinted filter on it.
Unfortunately I do not use filters except in the film era a polarizer. And perhaps my experience is different from your camera using a black filter.

06-18-2021, 02:33 AM   #32
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
And perhaps my experience is different from your camera using a black filter.
aka a lenscap. A great example of technology that detracts from a good photo.
06-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also love my manual focus lenses. That's how I got started and I am still at it. The thing is, my eyesight is different now and I wear multifocal prescription glasses. This makes nailing focus a real challenge, especially with something like an 85mm f/1.4. On a DSLR you can use the focus indicator but you have to work slowly, going back and forth, to be sure.

What changed the game for me was when I got a K mount adapter for my Samsung NX1. Now I can do live view, with depth of field preview of the best kind - the image doesn't dim. The best part is focus peaking. Yes, modern DSLRs can do it too, but I have the luxury of having all this with the camera held up to my eye. The one downside is that I have to press the OK button to activate focus peaking, since there are no electronics to tell the camera about what the lens is doing.
06-19-2021, 07:02 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
My eyesight is different now and I wear multifocal prescription glasses. This makes nailing focus a real challenge, especially with something like an 85mm f/1.4. On a DSLR you can use the focus indicator but you have to work slowly, going back and forth, to be sure.
It is our eyes that betray us as we get older... I wear similar glasses, and agree that while the focus indicator works, it takes time to get it right. Pentax has a magnifying eye piece (I forget the name of it), and I am going to find where to order one. It should give me a bit more eye relief and make it easier to determine the correct focus.

06-19-2021, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Push RAW's in post and shoot with the ISO lower than what the camera suggests when you hit the green button. It's a Pentax, this is a feature, ISO-invariance is your friend. As long as you're not more than five stops short of where it should be you can do the final exposure compensation in software.