Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2021, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Was it dumb for Pentax to have put an FP flash PC socket on the LX? Was anyone still using FP bulbs in 1980?
Yes - they were still used quite a bit for outdoor press photography; really powerful electronic flashes were still very expensive and heavy, the biggest FP flashes and bulbs had the edge on price and weight at that point, IIRC.

later - I see someone else has already replied to that one, my bad.

09-10-2021, 04:11 PM - 6 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dumbest "feature" of most cameras involve what is directly behind the VF.
09-14-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Like the most dangerous part of a motor vehicle is the nut behind the wheel.
09-15-2021, 01:54 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think Ansel Adam's had a quote on this:

“The single dumbest component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!”

Or something like that anyways, I can't quite remember.

09-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Minolta's Power Zoom lenses - they were power zoom only, no manual zoom, and power focus only - even the manual focus was by the camera's motor, not just manually turning the ring - a real PITA if you wanted to be quiet!

The sliding switch and button zoom speed control on Pentax power zoom lenses is also an incredibly crap design - I've never seen one that wasn't damaged, revealing the metal contacts underneath.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 09-24-2021 at 11:23 AM.
10-04-2021, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Minolta's Power Zoom lenses - they were power zoom only, no manual zoom, and power focus only - even the manual focus was by the camera's motor, not just manually turning the ring - a real PITA if you wanted to be quiet!

The sliding switch and button zoom speed control on Pentax power zoom lenses is also an incredibly crap design - I've never seen one that wasn't damaged, revealing the metal contacts underneath.
And another power-focus only bit of stupidity - Nikon's AF-P lenses, which are power focus only, while using the same bayonet etc. as all Nikons back to the F2. The electronics are unfortunately completely different, and they don't work at all on any Nikon body prior to 2016.