Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eBay purchases

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi I am looking to buy a Pentax 560mm f 5.6 lens off of the E-site and wondering if there is anyway to check to as if this is indeed a Pentax product ?
Is there a serial number cross list or something like that ?

Sorry for the dumb question its just a lot of money to throw away

Brian

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-18-2021 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
06-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I doubt that there is any chance of that lens being "faked"; and, if bought via eBay you are covered by their "buyer protection" should it not be "as described".

I would worry more that it would "fail" next week- and there is no warranty; of course depends on the seller - some do offer a warranty and there is always the opportunity to buy one of the "protection plans" offered at check out.

I've been on and off about buying a used Pentax 150-450 lens, some days I think it worth taking a chance to buy used and save $300, but other days- like today- I think buying new is a "safer" decision.

Food for thought.
06-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Forum Member

I am all too familiar with sitting on a purchase fence. With older gear, it’s not just worrying if it gives out, but also knowing parts may no longer be available for a fix
06-18-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have bought items from ebay and luckily had no problem

but the majority of the " experienced " gear I have bought has been from forum members via the marketplace " buy/sell " and if possible I would recommend that to ebay

you can sort it by country:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

you can also post a " wanted " notice as well:

Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com

don't forget to use the lens reviews sections to learn about potential purchases

HD Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-560mm-f5.6.html

there are 6 of those lenses listed in the serial number list here at the forums

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-serial-number-database/?do=viewserials&id=538

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-18-2021 at 02:23 PM.
06-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If it looks like the Pentax lens, and it is from a reputable seller with a decent track record, I'm sure it is the real thing. Basically with ebay, make sure you are buying from someone with lots of sales, and a very high (VERY HIGH) feedback percentage -- 99.5% is *bad* on ebay (unless it is from a smaller number of sales and you can tell by the negative comment that the buyer giving negative feedback is a unreasonable person). So you want someone with 100% positive feedback preferably, or if they are a high-volume seller at least 99.7+. The high-rated Japanese sellers are generally solid.
06-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is buyer protection on ebay, I've never had to use it so I don't know how good it is. And many credit cards also have protection if you use them, but I have not used that either. The best you can do is look at their feedback carefully. Also read the item description carefully, if it is non tested it's a gamble. If the photos don't show what you need to see, ask for better ones.
06-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As far as I know there isn’t any real traffic in Pentax counterfeiting.

06-18-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I buy and sell from Ebay frequently. Only buy something as expensive as that lens if the seller is a long time Ebay seller (over 2 years say) with near 100% positive feedback. Click on the seller's name to see this information.

Presumably there are pictures of the item in which case you can compare them with what the real thing should look like. Don't buy without a good set of pictures of the thing. Also, examine the pictures closely to detect whether they are stock photos of a new item rather than of the actual thing being sold - I am suspicious of photos that look too professional and would rather see clues of a homely or shop background.. or if there are any anomalies in the listing (such as giving an inexact lens designation). Don't be afraid to contact the seller for more pictures and details if you need them.

Of course they could post fake pictures, but if they reallly want to do a fake sale there is not much in advance you can do about it apart from the above precautions. Is the seller a dealer? although I don't necssarily trust a dealer any more than a private person if the latter has good feedback - I have been swindled by dealers on Ebay. The link in your post actually leads to Adorama, not Ebay.

At the present time, the used camera market is a buyer's market. It is hard to sell gear, hard even to get a page view, and the things that are being sold on Ebay are mostly going to single bidders at the starting price.
06-18-2021, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought my used K-1 with 5000 clicks on ebay for a great price; no problems at all.
06-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank You All

Thank you all for your comments There are some really good ideas of things to think about.

Brian
06-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always look at the seller's negative feedback. Most of the time it's left from stupid or unrealistic buyers.
06-18-2021, 07:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

i have had good luck/fortune with my ebay purchases, mainly lenses, and all of the tips noted above are good precautions.
06-18-2021, 11:06 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve bought many items on eBay successfully but not a single lens has been up to the description. I’ve bought a lot of lenses via the marketplace, none have disappointed me.
06-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’ve bought many items on eBay successfully but not a single lens has been up to the description. I’ve bought a lot of lenses via the marketplace, none have disappointed me.
I have to retract this. I did buy a couple of lenses for M43 and Sony FE that were excellent. Both were new or like new and had very little wear. It is the older lenses where people have optimistically overclaimed optical quality that has been an issue. This isn't limited to Pentax either. I bought a Nikon enlarger lens listed as clean, no scratches and it arrived and I could barely see through it. The interesting thing is that in all but one case when I pushed back the sellers all gave in immediately suggesting they KNEW they were misrepresenting their products. Many told me to keep it and refunded my money. I don't mean to say I have bought loads either - this is a sample of perhaps 5 items.
06-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #15
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BAKrueger Quote
Hi I am looking to buy a Pentax 560mm f 5.6 lens off of the E-site and wondering if there is anyway to check to as if this is indeed a Pentax product ?
Is there a serial number cross list or something like that ?

Sorry for the dumb question its just a lot of money to throw away

Brian
The lens I've bought from Japan have always been in the same shape as they advertise them as....