Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
The lens I've bought from Japan have always been in the same shape as they advertise them as....
I know people who say to be very careful and read the posts. I have to agree with that sentiment as the lenses descriptions can sometimes be at odds in terms of language. Read carefully - Excellent can to some people include FUNGUS. It is important to really carefully look at photos AND read the full description. Don't get swept up in the moment.

06-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of my purchases of Pentax equipment have been through eBay. Pentax is still the number one seller of cameras in Japan. The used market there for Pentax is amazing. I have found that the descriptions are accurate and photos are the actual item. Pricing varies widely as is common on eBay. I cannot say that for my purchases of camera equipment from US Sellers. I have had to return several Konica bodies for undisclosed damages. Almost everything out of Florida has corrosion on the battery contacts. eBay is an interesting market place and their purchase guarantee does take most of the risk out of buying. Eastern Europe and Russia are a mixed bag. The sellers usually are very honest but delivery times are long and their postal systems have many problems including outright theft. So for used Pentax, I prefer doing business with Japan.
06-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Don't just look at one listing -- look at other listings (including completed/sold) from the seller. Look at the feedback. I've never found it very difficult to separate the people that know what they are talking about, know what to include in the pictures in the listing, are honest, etc, from those that are obviously over-hyping or simply don't know what they are looking at (like people that buy from estate sales but don't really know camera gear). Feel free to ask the seller some questions -- their answers (or lack thereof) will tell you a lot.

People that I think are dishonest or would give a hassle over a return for a bad item I simply won't buy from unless it is something I'm willing to gamble knowing full well the risks. (Watch out for the "of course it is scratched to hell, it is a *used* item" people or anybody that fills up their listings with things about buyers they don't like -- life is too short to deal with those people.) But you know, even in those cases you can always open up an issue under Buyer Protection and all that. (Although I guess they are dumping PayPal so that's strictly an ebay thing now or what?)

For high-end items I'd probably stick with pro camera dealers, very established sellers of gear, etc (again, there are some excellent ones from Japan), but for myself I'm almost always buying items that are fairly or extremely rare and don't come up very often (or don't come up often at a reasonable price anyway), and I just have to make a determination. I've bought probably a few hundred lenses over the years. I've only had to get refunds or do returns less than 10 times, and I think only once from a reluctant jerk sort of seller. I've had to return a greater percentage of stuff to KEH than from buying on ebay, actually.
06-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BAKrueger Quote
Hi I am looking to buy a Pentax 560mm f 5.6 lens off of the E-site and wondering if there is anyway to check to as if this is indeed a Pentax product
How could it not be? No one is going to fake a Pentax lens. And if they did they would fake the serial number as well, right? Check the pictures, check the sellers reputation. If those are good then whats the concern? Worst case you file a Not As Described case with ebay.

06-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the whole I haven't had any issues with eBay purchases. To be honest, the higher priced sales are more reliable than the lower priced but I have had some absolute bargains