Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #16
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
as I can't see myself having to photograph a specific thing / group of things for a monthly competition,
I am a very active in my local club and this is something I growl them about. We are not performing seals - we should be making our own journeys through photography. They tend to have an "open" alternative though.
But I am in the club for the social connection - to be able to dribble on and someone actually understands me!
There is very little snobbery about gear there. And because of that I feel our group have forged ahead in creativity.

06-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Short answer to your dilema... find a few like minded souls to do photo walks, and drink a cup of coffee with and leave it at that. Just remember, if you miss a coffee meet up you might be elected president (that's the on going joke with our group).
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Concurrently to that, there was a group of about half a dozen of us that regularly went shooting, the group size varied greatly, but it was always about the photography, food and beer. That was my kind of group.
It would be nice if there was some way here on the Forum to arrange similar get-togethers. Perhaps some way to indicate to a geographic area that I (or anybody) am considering meeting at X at time Y. If you are interested, please show up!

I would be interested in trying that for the Phoenix, Arizona area at some point when I go "south." I think I can identify potential participants based on location indications in their profiles and could contact them all separately, but it would be simpler if I could just say to a relevant set of folks (i.e by area) that I will be in Phoenix on xx/xx and would love to meet for lunch at yyyy at zzzz time.

And, there are certain Forum members I would love to have lunch with, if I am ever in their area. Perhaps one's profile could include an "I am open to meeting with you" option?
06-19-2021, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There's a local club here. I've been asked to join several times but thus far I have resisted as I can't see myself having to photograph a specific thing / group of things for a monthly competition, not with life being so incredibly busy already.
I'm already involved with a few running and cycling clubs and while a member of a 4wd club, I never get time for that.

So, yes, time and arbitrary competitions gets in the way of me wanting to join such a club.
That's how the Pentax Users Gallery works, sort if. It isn't a competition, but it is a monthly themed gallery.
As an aside, it's also the oldest photo gallery on the internet.
06-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #19
Forum Member

I went to one meeting of the oldest camera club in my town. It was a mid week night time meeting to take portrait shots with strobes. Incredibly unwelcoming. The head honcho was very low on social skills and the established members pushed in front of me in the queue to photograph. Zero welcome for newbies.

A week before the next scheduled meeting the head honcho emailed me a PDF of the form I had signed undertaking to provide images by the next meeting. Hardly a friendly early reminder. I sent the images and decided against going to the next meeting. I pay to learn from expert photographers and that works for me. I mostly prefer my own company when shooting, unless, obviously, I am photographing people.

06-19-2021, 11:40 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There’s no local photo club where I live. I’d love to be a part of one, with so many people getting their shot at photography, we could definitely exchange some thoughts, experiences and feedback. I must be the only pentaxian in my island........that is either sad or an honor. Idk.
06-20-2021, 01:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I've been a member, and got roped in as committee member and then president when no one else wanted the job on my club, but that time is coming to and end and I'm seriously considering taking a 'sabbatical'.
I actually enjoyed competitions for quite a while, as they challenged me to get out of my comfort zone, and my photography definitely improved as a result, but I've noticed the standard of judging seems to have got softer with things like soft focus and digital artifacts not getting pulled up when they should, and also there seems to be more inconsistency. I don't mind getting pulled up on an image that's not up to standard if there's good reason, and I'd actually prefer that than being damned with faint praise.
I've also noticed there's been a trend towards looking after beginners (good), at the expense of more experienced photographers (not good).
I know it's hard to keep everyone happy, but I think at least some effort should go into considering different photographic interests and how to cater for them.
There doesn't seem to be really much gear snobbery, but unfortunately software focus seems to be very Adobe focused. I have Adobe now myself, so don't mind, but didn't when I joined the club, so had to figure out digital processing for myself.
I've enjoyed some of the guest speakers, particularly if they're artists or photographers who can talk about their craft, but less so if their talk is basically just a big slideshow of exotic locations they've been to.
Probably the bit I've enjoyed the least is the committee work. Seeing as I'm the only computer geek in the club, I ended up having to write an entire competition management system - twice - first as an offline system, then when Covid came along, as a cloud based system, to avoid the madness of manually handling emailed competition entries that typically never followed instructions for sizing or file naming conventions.
Basically the club became too much of a part time unpaid job, to fit around my paying job and family life, and even actual photography, rather than an opportunity to have fun with photography, so I'm glad it's just about over so I can refocus on photography.
06-20-2021, 02:46 AM - 7 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best camera/photography club that I have ever been a member of, by far, is right here at PF! No obligations; competitions, with seemingly endless variety, to enter or just observe. Members from all over the world, the vast majority of whom keep it friendly and welcoming. The wealth of knowledge, and willingness to share it, astound me almost every time I check in! The consistency of receiving multiple, helpful replies to questions asked, be they "newbie" or from those who've been working pro's for 50 years or more, is something I am very proud to be a part of. This site is truly "photography's best kept secret" online.

Bravo Pentax Forums and every member who pitches in to keep it the best photography club in the world!!

06-20-2021, 03:17 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lancaster Photographic Society does quite well for gender equality. We have a 60/40 split and Female photographers regularly win Tog of the year. Last year Women came 1st, 2nd and 3rd (I was 6th, ... somehow lol)
06-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I enjoy photography as a solitary pursuit. When I think of going out with my camera or even later, when editing or printing, I enjoy the fact that its just me....I think a club or group would suck the joy out of it for me.
06-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
I enjoy photography as a solitary pursuit. When I think of going out with my camera or even later, when editing or printing, I enjoy the fact that its just me....I think a club or group would suck the joy out of it for me.
I think this is at the heart of my problem. Last week the alarm went off at 3:15am and I enjoyed a peaceful early morning lost with my thoughts and camera. All nicely isolated. That's the landscape bit.

I've done a few paid real estate and other commissions recently - it feels a little like being a professional getting paid for a few jobs, but it isn't really. It does, however, fulfil a photography purpose which helps. This purpose thing is important to me, otherwise I'm sometimes inclined to thrash around.

What a gathering in a club/society/meet-up would fix, is the chance to chat about photography in general. Trigger ideas. Solve problems. Informal critiques. Help and advice. Etc. All low key and informal. Unstructured. Stop the thrashing. This isn't on offer from my local clubs, as mentioned.

I've met several other photogs via social media and then subsequently in person, but in all cases these occasions have been at shows and events nationally, so not helpful. On-line meetings do offer options, but they lack many attribute that face-to-face gatherings benefit from.

So it's how to begin to put together a parallel style of "club" that's unlike the normal diet on offer. First requirement will of course be a certificate of being double jabbed before we might begin. Thinking ...
06-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love solitary shooting, in fact I hate it when I am walking Bailey, camera in hand and someone decides to tag along. The clubs give you a chance and encouragement to diversify much like PF. In truth, I have received more encouragement from here than anywhere, but I still love my club night tea and bikkies
06-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Perhaps one's profile could include an "I am open to meeting with you" option?
In some social groups I would be very reluctant to meet some of the 'crazies', but not PF members. We all seem relatively sane. At least y'all do; can't speak for myself. I'm in Southeast North Carolina, and I know there are some members in my general neck of the woods. Covid has been a challenge, but if anyone close by is OK with meeting one-on-one or in small groups you can PM me. I'm fully vaccinated.
06-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I've enjoyed some of the guest speakers, particularly if they're artists or photographers who can talk about their craft, but less so if their talk is basically just a big slideshow of exotic locations they've been to.
Our club has enjoyed a number of excellent talks from advanced photographers who really know their craft. But, we've also had several who presented an annotated show of their travels -- really interesting locations, but the images were basically snaps.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Probably the bit I've enjoyed the least is the committee work.
Like many types of amateur clubs, a few members tend to work hard to pull together an interesting program for the benefit of all. I've recently taken on the role as VP Programs for our club, and find that I've got little things to do each day -- emails, speaker engagement, calendar coordination, etc.

- Craig
06-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
The best camera/photography club that I have ever been a member of, by far, is right here at PF! No obligations; competitions, with seemingly endless variety, to enter or just observe. Members from all over the world, the vast majority of whom keep it friendly and welcoming. The wealth of knowledge, and willingness to share it, astound me almost every time I check in! The consistency of receiving multiple, helpful replies to questions asked, be they "newbie" or from those who've been working pro's for 50 years or more, is something I am very proud to be a part of. This site is truly "photography's best kept secret" online.

Bravo Pentax Forums and every member who pitches in to keep it the best photography club in the world!!
I think K(s)evin"s comments were great. My feelings exactly.
06-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
The little group I used to shoot with would go to an area and for the most part split up with an agreement to meet back at a designated location at a fairly specific time. That seemed to work well, and it was nice travelling with like minded people and having lunch with them.
Too large a group is unwieldy though. I wouldn't want to be in a group larger than half a dozen. Too much chance of getting in each other's way.