Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2021, 07:58 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
more delays , ~ 12AUG now

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Looking at the marketing, Nikon is clearly marketing this camera to appeal to young women, but the joke is going round in Japan that this camera is proving to be irresistible to elderly gents (and not young women at all).

Mind you, that could be said about Pentax and almost all cameras. The Zfc looks like a nice camera wanting for lenses whoever might be tempted to buy it.
yes , elderly gents with a lot of old fast primes

07-30-2021, 01:34 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looking at the marketing, Nikon is clearly marketing this camera to appeal to young women, but the joke is going round in Japan that this camera is proving to be irresistible to elderly gents (and not young women at all).

Mind you, that could be said about Pentax and almost all cameras. The Zfc looks like a nice camera wanting for lenses whoever might be tempted to buy it.
I guess they really, really want to reach the young female demography. Film photography is already quite big on instagram etc so perhaps they are trying to sell them a digital camera believing that the vintage looks will do. The status is in film though and the young women surely knows it.
07-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #138
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think in Japan Canon and Olympus have been rather successful in selling to women. I think the whole camera and photography business needs to think about how to make photography more appealing to younger demographics. I don't just mean camera makers, but also websites and individual photographers. So I don't blame Nikon or anyone else for trying.

I'm not sure whether I'll like this Zfc or not. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
07-30-2021, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #139
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Those colours look like they belong in a circus!

Ken Rockwell is anything but a guru...
Just ask him, I'm sure he will tell you otherwise.

---------- Post added Jul 30th, 2021 at 09:35 AM ----------

I think in Japan Canon and Olympus have been rather successful in selling to women. I think the whole camera and photography business needs to think about how to make photography more appealing to younger demographics. I don't just mean camera makers, but also websites and individual photographers. So I don't blame Nikon or anyone else for trying.

I'm not sure whether I'll like this Zfc or not. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Photography is appealing to younger demographics, there is no problem there. What camera makers have to do is make cameras more appealing to younger demographics.
I'm not sure if a camera styled after something their grandparents would have used is the way to do it. Certainly it is going to appeal to some portion of the younger demographic, but there is more to it than wannabe cool hipsters..

What the camera makers need to do is wean people off of their cell phones and into dedicated cameras. Unfortunately, most younger people, at least the ones I know (and I know many) aren't interested in making prints or looking at pictures on anything larger than a cell phone screen.
When that is the display medium of choice, a 24mp camera is 20mp more mega pixels than is needed, and anything beyond mediocre lens quality is unnecessary.
I don't think putting a sim card into a camera so the user can live stream to Facebook is going to sell many cameras either. I suspect that the horse has simply left the barn.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-30-2021 at 08:36 AM.
07-30-2021, 09:10 AM   #140
Pentaxian

Selling cameras to people with smartphones, is like trying to sell typewriters to people with computers.
It is only a selected few that see any point in that.
07-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Selling cameras to people with smartphones, is like trying to sell typewriters to people with computers.
It is only a selected few that see any point in that.
That's about 99% of the market. How many people own digital cameras and do not own a smartphone in 2021?
07-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
That's about 99% of the market. How many people own digital cameras and do not own a smartphone in 2021?
Probably fewer than have been walking on the moon.

07-31-2021, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

I think Sony squarely cornered the younger photographer market. I guess unlimited marketing budgets works wonders. My younger cousin is salivating about every new sony body and lens that is announced.
07-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #144

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just ask him, I'm sure he will tell you otherwise.

---------- Post added Jul 30th, 2021 at 09:35 AM ----------

Photography is appealing to younger demographics, there is no problem there. What camera makers have to do is make cameras more appealing to younger demographics.
I'm not sure if a camera styled after something their grandparents would have used is the way to do it. Certainly it is going to appeal to some portion of the younger demographic, but there is more to it than wannabe cool hipsters..

What the camera makers need to do is wean people off of their cell phones and into dedicated cameras. Unfortunately, most younger people, at least the ones I know (and I know many) aren't interested in making prints or looking at pictures on anything larger than a cell phone screen.
When that is the display medium of choice, a 24mp camera is 20mp more mega pixels than is needed, and anything beyond mediocre lens quality is unnecessary.
I don't think putting a sim card into a camera so the user can live stream to Facebook is going to sell many cameras either. I suspect that the horse has simply left the barn.
I think a camera should be fun and enjoyable to use, especially for us hobbyist.

I was loaned a Olympus Pen F not too long ago, and despite it's multiple drawbacks, it is certainly enjoyable camera for me.
The film simulation is superb, and the only thing I miss is if it would have an optical viewfinder, which is the same drawback of the ZFC that I don't like; if only they have have a real rangerfinder with optical viewfinder like the Fuji X100 series or in real DSLR format like Nikon DF.

---------- Post added 01-08-21 at 05:22 AM ----------

I'm not too sure about Canon aside from my interest in their recent line of professional video camera.
But the Olympus EPL series is fun to use, and it is easy to take good picture with it; it have a system that let amateurs focus on the essential and fundamentals and make the whole picture taking experience enjoyable.
08-01-2021, 06:11 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Conventional dials and film SLR shape make this one interesting to this old geezer.
Street price for the body is under $1000, so it should be affordable once obsolete...

Chris
08-05-2021, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

accessory for the new Nikon Zfc

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
K-01 looks more like Art Deco , I like it.
My silver MX-1 ( with beautiful real leather hand made casing ) is real Retro.

Is anything like that available for the new Nikon Zfc?
I can not locate any.
08-06-2021, 07:05 AM   #147

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Is anything like that available for the new Nikon Zfc?
I can not locate any.
Not anything like that release officially yet.
It might take a while for custom fitters to make something like that for the ZFC.
08-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

should be available after 20AUG

QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
Not anything like that release officially yet.
It might take a while for custom fitters to make something like that for the ZFC.
I contacted the shop where I purchased the case for my Pentax MX-1 and they are going to look into creating cases for Nikon Zfc.

I like their leather products.
08-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did a long, exhaustive short, inconclusive study of Nokon Zfc pricing. I checked out a few local websites and found a few interesting thing. There are some great deals on the Nikon Z50 right now. You can have one for Canon EOS M money - very tempting. The Zfc is significantly more expensive. With the crappy not too bad 16-50mm kit lens it is about the same as a Z5 body - not very tempting. As much as I like the retro dials, I do not see the value proposition in the Zfc. I get by just fine with the dumb PASM dials on my Pentax and Samsung bodies.
08-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #150
Pentaxian

I always have trouble with the concept of people buying cameras for their looks. I want rugged and functional. Especially when I look at a retro camera in a style I didn't like even when they were new, not retro.