Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography Magazines

Just received a letter from " Outdoor Photographer " offering a deal on a new subscription

I have no idea about this or any other Photo magazines

any recommendations for such publications

please state why or why not

thanks

06-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used to get it years ago, it was mostly adds for gear and one small article so I cancelled it after one year.
06-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

with many print magazines folding, it would make me wonder if I would ever get my money's worth....
06-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don’t know that title, but maintain a subscription to Outdoor Photography magazine here in the UK. The quantity of gear talk in its pages is small especially compared to the amount of photographs in its pages. Thoughtful and thought-provoking articles and interviews with photographers about their work are a mainstay and each month readers’ work fills pages with enjoyable photos. I look forward to its arrival each month and re-reading old issues is worthwhile. I believe it’s also available in download-only form. The gearheads won’t like it, but I do.

06-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a related note are there any good printed magazines of film photography still published?
If you know of any you can recommend please let me know.

Chris
06-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
On a related note are there any good printed magazines of film photography still published?
If you know of any you can recommend please let me know.

Chris
Only on eBay. They carry quite a few issues of defunct photo magazines which might be of interest to you. You might also check your library in the periodicals section - some carry the old issues of Pop and Modern Photography which had great film articles. Just be ready to read about some great films and film chemicals, which don't exist anymore. The techniques never change though.
06-30-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Outdoor Photography is one of the better mags. It actually has a lot of articles about places to go photograph and some tips. But it has less issues and is smaller than it used to be. I’m sure they are struggling, I have not subscribed for a few years but they still send it, because advertising rates are based on subscriptions and sales.

06-30-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The value of photo magazines is having hardcopy media to examine without distraction, in fairly large size, and not dependent on your monitor's color settings. I don't enjoy reading more than a page of text online, and I like to read without distraction as well. Having a magazine, and taking the time to read it, and try out the lessons in the articles, etc, is also valuable.

Otherwise, I often leaf through the pages at the newsstand, and if the articles are not well written and informative, I look at the pictures, and then put it back on the rack
06-30-2021, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't subscribe to any photo magazines, but pick up copies at local magazine stands when I spot one I think I'd enjoy.

My favourites are from the UK: Digital Camera World, Black+White Photography, and Outdoor Photography. There is a small premium to pay here because of shipping, I presume, but they're fairly good value. Digital Camera World is a generalist magazine, catering to a range of interests. Black+White tends to feature well-written articles and its print quality is excellent. Outdoor Photography's large pages feature an abundance of interesting images.

When I used to travel to the UK for work, I'd hurry to a local WH Smiths to pick up half a dozen magazines to read through the week. At that time, most of them cost around ₤5 or less -- a real deal, I thought!

At one time, I subscribed to Outdoor Photographer for a couple of years. I rarely buy a copy these days, however, as the magazine has become thinner recently and I found that some of the articles were quite lean.

- Craig
06-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

One of the only current analog photography magazine that I know of is Silvergrain Classics (formerly PhotoKlassik International)
06-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not give it a whirl? If you like it, you've perhaps helped them survive, and if not, well, not too big a financial risk.
06-30-2021, 05:46 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Why not give it a whirl? . . .
here's the problem, it promises to show

" Top Destinations for Nature Photography "

I might find places I want to go to
06-30-2021, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Otherwise, I often leaf through the pages at the newsstand, and if the articles are not well written and informative, I look at the pictures, and then put it back on the rack
The vendors must love you!
06-30-2021, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
The value of photo magazines is having hardcopy media to examine without distraction, in fairly large size, and not dependent on your monitor's color settings. I don't enjoy reading more than a page of text online, and I like to read without distraction as well. Having a magazine, and taking the time to read it, and try out the lessons in the articles, etc, is also valuable.

You and I are alike in this aspect. I'm the same way with maps too. Give me a paper map any day.
06-30-2021, 11:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
here's the problem, it promises to show

" Top Destinations for Nature Photography "

I might find places I want to go to
You'll end up with an increase of GAS but too broke for it due to all the traveling 😂😂