Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2021, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's on your photography bucket list?

I did a search and surprised I didn't find any recent threads on the topic. So what is on your bucket list? I primarily mean a specific location, technique, theme, etc related to the actual photo taking, but could be stretched to mean finding that perfect lens or seeking out a rare piece of equipment.

Personally, I have two right now. The relatively easy one would be a good Milky Way or deep sky object photo, as that is just a problem of scheduling.

The near impossible, but more exciting one would be to cover an NHRA event. I'm lucky enough to get special access at a local drag strip that occasionally has some cool stuff, but jet cars would be the only major excitement (which are fun to shoot!). Unfortunately the NHRA is understandably strict on their photography policy. Photographers must be on specific assignment from a news media outlet just to be considered. Even freelance photogs must show proof of assignment from a media outlet. I doubt I'll be able to get that sort of assignment, but man it must be cool to get that close to the line when Top Fuel is running.

07-03-2021, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
What's on your photography bucket list?
Being able to take some real celebrity portraits in an unhurried manner... not the usual 5mins or so that's given.
07-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are so many places that I want to go to that I have not made a list, sounds like a good idea. A year and a half ago there were some preliminary plans for Southern Europe, but COVID has dashed that for a while. There are many places in the US and Canada that I would like to go to for the first time, and some that I really want to go back to. But there are so many scenic spots that are not “destinations” to keep busy with, unfortunately finding a spot to shoot them is sometimes nearly impossible, like several places I have in mind that are visible as glimpses from busy highways.

Of course time and money also get in the way.
07-03-2021, 07:31 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Being able to take some real celebrity portraits in an unhurried manner... not the usual 5mins or so that's given.
If I make it to Scotland (being of Scottish descent it is a place I’d love to visit) any time soon I’ll give you a whole 30 minutes, … oh wait, I’m not a celebrity.[

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 07-03-2021 at 07:37 AM.
07-03-2021, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good Lord!

Too much on my list to post.
07-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
dlhawes

I hope to be able to learn how to do photography before I kick off.
07-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Locations:
* Copeland Mountain, Colorado (maybe this summer)
* Ireland (likely)
* Nepal (less likely)
* Heard Island in the Indian Ocean (almost impossible)

Photo methods/projects:
* interval composite of a full day (play of light-and-shadow)
* interval composite of a dinner party (play of static-and-dynamic elements)
* cover the "cathedral ceiling" of our living room with an image of a cathedral ceiling

Lenses:
* set of extension tubes (why don't I have these already?)
* a tilt-and-shiftshit lens

DIY photo-optical mucking about:
* pinhole shift lens
* full-frame spectrometer (slit+prism on a tube that mounts to the K-1)
* frankenlens teleconvertor (reversed Sigma zoom front group with k-mount ends)
* crystal ball lens

Last edited by photoptimist; 07-03-2021 at 03:05 PM. Reason: otto co-wreck phicks
07-03-2021, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Getting a good fall photo of a particular tree, so i can complete all four seasons of it. And maybe redoing the spring one too. It's a short bike ride from where i live so it should be achievable.
07-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Antartica by ship, have flown over it, low and slow, but would love to stand there
07-03-2021, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thinking more on this, I remembered another one. Old, abandoned places like factories and other industrial settings. My issue there is many of them are tricky to get into without being seen (and thus having cops called).
07-03-2021, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

As a want a be National Geographic wildlife photographer I want to hit the three A's, Alaska,Africa and Australia.

For Alaska I would love to get a shot of a brown bear mom and cubs standing up on Kodiak Island.

Africa, I'm going there in November, Botswana specifically and just too many shots I have in my mind that I would like to get.

And Australia has so many colorful birds and of course koalas and kangaroos.

I'm looking at trips for 2022 now and it's either going back to Botswana or Alaska, I think Australia will have to wait a couple years.
07-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have ticked three off this year, character portraits (albeit remote via zoom), street portraits where you need balls to ask random strangers and shooting with film. We have a portrait shoot planned soon so doing one with my gear is another that will be ticked. Other than that, I want to visit the Alhambra in Granada (hopefully next year) and I want to return to Rome, now I know what I am doing! My unreachable would be a Lord of the rings tour in New Zealand and a trip to Kyoto
07-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There’s a face in the rocks at the foot of a certain mountain I want to photograph at dawn in interesting weather. There’s most of northern Scotland I have still to see, let alone photograph. I have still to visit most of Scotland’s western isles, but all the above is doable. So for a bucket destination I’d perhaps say the fjords and glaciated valleys of Greenland.

Oh, and Mesa Arch at sunrise on a stunning morning without a crowd.
07-03-2021, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If I make it to Scotland (being of Scottish descent it is a place I’d love to visit) any time soon I’ll give you a whole 30 minutes, … oh wait, I’m not a celebrity.[
I’m sure you are really… so I’ll take you up on your offer of 30 mins.
07-03-2021, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
* a tilt-and-shit lens
It's gonna require some strenuous effort from myself, but I think I could provide you with something like that

I don't have a bucket list really. Just trying to get some pictures I enjoy taking and looking at later. Hoping for good light and steady hands for as long as I enjoy the hobby. Perhaps getting some nice shots of friends and family now and then. Training my eye and my brain and my fingers to get the best out of whatever is going to be presenting itself to me.