Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pancake lens for K-01

On display CP + 2012 Japan

Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMGP3645.jpg _ hisway306 _ Flickr.pdf (912.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by i_trax; 07-12-2021 at 09:00 PM.
07-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photo
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Oh, I see. Thanks. No donuts?
I don't see why there would be.

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
On display CP + 2012 Japan
That's gotta be the tiniest DSLR lens ever, even if just a prototype. A pinhole could hardly be smaller
07-13-2021, 06:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's gotta be the tiniest DSLR lens ever, even if just a prototype. A pinhole could hardly be smaller
it is a mirrorless lens only compatible with K-01. On a DSLR the rear of the lens would hit the mirror.
I believe it was too hard for Ricoh to market a K-mount lens not compatible with their K-mount DSLRs.

07-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What were the intended specs for that K-01-only pancake lens?
07-13-2021, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I do not think they ever told the exact specification.
And it is probably not a working lens, just a mishmash of parts from different DA limited lenses glued together to show a conceptual lens for K-01.
The front seems to be taken from DA21 and the mid part from DA40.

Another picture of it.
Attached Images

07-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 40mm XS

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I do not think they ever told the exact specification.
And it is probably not a working lens, just a mishmash of parts from different DA limited lenses glued together to show a conceptual lens for K-01.
The front seems to be taken from DA21 and the mid part from DA40.

Another picture of it.
My DA 2.8 40 XS looks even smaller , and works well on my K-1 (FF).

07-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

With the rear lens element so far back on the concept lens, I'd assume it would be way wider than DA40, maybe even wider than DA15.
07-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

it is a mirrorless lens only compatible with K-01. On a DSLR the rear of the lens would hit the mirror.
That's interesting, and actually illustrates a missed opportunity. Pentax COULD have kept the K-mount alive by designing also mirrorless lenses with that approach, those lenses being only for mirrorless cameras, and traditional K-mount lenses being compatible with both.
07-13-2021, 09:54 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm glad they didn't because it would put some major limitations on lens design and optical performance.
Using a small rear lens element close to the sensor will most likely create optical problems and having most of the optics in a small tube make a major limitation on optiical design.

It would have been much better to design a new mount that can use fully optimized mirrorless lens design and make it fully compatible with K-mount with an adapter. There are many reasons for everyone else gone for that route.
07-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tend to agree that the K-01 should have been a fork in the road point where there was a mirrorless Pentax body with a mount adapter that brought k-mount glass into the future. This could have been a nice olive branch to folks with manual focus k-mount glass where the adapter also included the aperture indexing linkage; coupled with focus peaking on the K-01 this could have been a great way to get more enjoyment out of using old glass.

This would have also put Pentax years ahead of Canon and Nikon.
07-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm glad they didn't because it would put some major limitations on lens design and optical performance.
That is true, but still it could have bene done. Even if only for a niche market. And rear elements wouldn't have had to be as small as the one here. Plus optical constraints always exist, these are just different
07-16-2021, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #28
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think they gave up on the idea of lenses that would interfere with the mirror pretty quickly. Can you imagine the warranty claims when people tried to mount their "K-mount" lenses to cameras that would be damaged by them?

Here are some other images I found.

Commemorative retro styled K10D

The infamous old K-1

J-Limited KP color variations that were exhibited at CP+ 2019 but not released. I saw these in person.

07-16-2021, 08:08 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I think they gave up on the idea of lenses that would interfere with the mirror pretty quickly. Can you imagine the warranty claims when people tried to mount their "K-mount" lenses to cameras that would be damaged by them?

Here are some other images I found.

Commemorative retro styled K10D
I like that silver K10D.
I have silver smc DA 40 Limited , I love it.
I thought that all silver smc DA Limited's did not have a green band , my lens has no band.
The one on your photo ( although it is TAKUMAR ) has green band??
07-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #30
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I thought that all silver smc DA Limited's did not have a green band , my lens has no band.
The one on your photo ( although it is TAKUMAR ) has green band??
I think this must be a special one they were thinking of making for this model. Note the AOCO mark on the cap.