Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2021, 10:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Last year I shot about 30 rolls. I sometime shoot film on vacation, but last year I was testing out different film types in a Pentax Auto 110, and I also started to do more film during the pandemic since i was doing daily walks and wanted to avoid excessive digital shots during that time.

07-04-2021, 11:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am shooting two rolls a year. My aim is four at least.
I have them developed and scaned in a lab, which does both much better, then I could.

I shoot film because I still prefer the ergonomics of analog cameras and for me it is real fun to work with them. I only keep cameras in working condition, so every camera I aquire gets light seals renewed and then a film roll is shot. Unfortunately I have now quite a queue of cameras waiting for their roll .

I restarted shooting film with black and white, because I wanted to self develop the film. With my present output of film rolls, there is no use in this. In addition B&W is the most expensive film when developed and scaned by a lab. I thus will change to C41 color negative films and the occasional slide film. Back in analog times I was shooting 90 percent Kodachrome and Ektachrome 64.
07-05-2021, 12:42 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More than 10 films per year and I process all my films 135 and 120 at home (b&W, C-41 and E-6).
I scan all my films and ink print some and enlarge print some.
When I visit somewhere I have at least two cameras (one digital and one or two analog).
07-05-2021, 12:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Whatever answer I provide now, it'll be completely different this time next year when borders are open and we're able to travel freely again.

07-05-2021, 04:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I’m currently shooting enough to justify developing it myself, but I’m not sure if that trend will continue.

At this moment I’m leaning towards processing my own B&W negatives at home and driving them to a local camera shop to have the keepers scanned at a high resolution.

I’m extremely interested in the cost comparison, so I’m going to start keeping a spreadsheet with each roll.
07-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shot film exclusively until 2014. Then went on a long vacation in Asia where film was impossible to buy easily. So bought a K-50 and used that exclusively. Still have a freezer full of Reala that I'm rationing.
07-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #22

I didn't shoot that much with film as a child, was getting back to it these 2 years with medium format in B&W.

I originally looking to shoot like a roll per month, very realistic since 6x6 only 12 shots per row, but I could never go out to shoot much due to corona.
I probably shoot a roll per 2-3 months, I can easily run into a few rolls per month if I have more engagement to shoot in it.

07-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I’ve really been giving this topic a lot of thought.

My wife pointed out that I spend at lot of the time scrolling through or retaking shots, when shooting digital, and that makes me less engaged in our activities.

She also pointed out that I was much less shutter happy on a recent camping trip because I had only taken a film body and two rolls of film.

The KP is king of varied conditions and low light sensitivity, but I think I’ll continue to shoot the P30 and ZX-M on bright sunny days….I also find myself yearning for a 67….

Last edited by trixtroll; 07-06-2021 at 04:33 PM.
12-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just circling back for a 6 month update, if anyone cares.....Which they probably don't. Just a few observations:
  • 2021 has been an interesting year for sure....I started the year without a working film camera and find myself finishing the year with three working 35mm bodies, a semi working Yashica TLR, and a Pentax 645.

• I shot 13 rolls from 7/1/21 to 12/29/21 and had them all developed and scanned by The Darkroom, followed by "post" in Darktable. I like this workflow and can't believe I didn't adopt it back in 2010.

• The Darkroom does a really great job and their scans are way better than anything I could achieve at home, but it is getting rather expensive. I "may" start developing B&W at home (again) and outsource scanning to a local camera shop that offers scanning services....I miss the instant gratitude of developing a roll as soon as I get home and looking at it under my 8x loupe.

• I still rely on the DSLR when I want convenience. It's really nice pulling it out of the bag and not being frustrated because I have TMAX 100 on dark and overcast day..... Film is usually reserved for planned shooting events.

• Printing....Eh, my keeper rate is WAY too low to replace the enlarger that I gave away a few years back. I'll stick to mail ordering the occasional digital print.

Last edited by trixtroll; 12-29-2021 at 11:00 AM.
01-08-2022, 01:29 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I shot 12 rolls in 2021, with three rolls not yet complete (which I am counting in my 12).