Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The next step is going to be no viewfinder at all and the signal piped directly into your brain.

07-06-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recall suggesting this some time ago, but without much response at the time. Any LX owner knows that the objections about dust and contacts are fairly trivial, as I think most users don’t change viewfinder modules anywhere near the rate at which you swap lenses. The LX modules also have a basic seal, which could probably be improved on in a new body.

Building in a hybrid viewfinder would certainly make it more convenient, nonetheless. The choice would be between the Ricoh patent that injects the image via the pentaprism, or using an LCD screen, as with the K-1 and K-3iii but with colour and high resolution. The challenge for the latter would be finding a colour LCD that was sufficiently transparent to use the optical focussing screen as normal. The only problem with the Ricoh patent is the loss of light for the optical viewfinder that comes with adding a semi-silvered section to the prism, although the extra prism housing size may be also a problem for some.

The interchangeable viewfinder wins, in my view (pun intended) because it allows the best image in both modes, and it has the best bragging rights.
07-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I should have added that this is only a thought exercise, as first envisioned by Einstein.
07-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I should have added that this is only a thought exercise, as first envisioned by Einstein.
They are quite popular, here, as I’m sure you know.

07-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The big advantage of a hybrid is in getting an on-demand digital preview before the shot or quick digital review after the shot. A hybrid makes is easy to switch between OVF tasks (composing, tracking/watching the subject, waiting for the shot without running down the battery, etc.) and EVF tasks (checking the most recent shots, doing a bunch of menu setups, or using focus peaking for critical focus).

Plus there's no way a hybrid OVF+EVF camera would cost more than two separate cameras of decent quality. Adding an EVF and view finder switching optics to a camera like the K-1 or 645Z is surely cheaper than building an entire second camera with a second body, sensor, computer, buttons, switches, mount, memory cards, battery, etc. And adding second camera (even a svelte Fuji) to the bag is surely much much heavier than adding just an EVF display and optics to an existing DSLR.
07-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting idea. On the table in the next room sits my Exakta VX IIa. It is presently fitted with its native waist-level finder. The system works great and dust is really not a huge issue. As a cool option, the WLF converts to a sports finder* for quick shooting using zone focus. (Ricoh should make a sports finder for the GRIII.)

What you are suggesting would be quite do-able, though a big question might be ROI.

Steve

* A sports finder has no optical elements and is simply a peep hole set opposite a metal frame allowing an estimate of subject framing. They work well for fixed lens cameras.
07-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #22

Form and function together. Make either a great EVF camera or an OVF camera. Compromises putting both in the same camera.

07-06-2021, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #23
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you use live view all the time is that not ' mirrorless ' and you if you want can do it right now .......... No ?
07-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a neat thought with some entertaining responses. Keep 'em coming!
07-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds more like a solution looking for a problem to solve.
07-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's never a bad idea, just some are unfeasible at the time. I would like one that somehow puts the image on my contact lenses, or just right into my brain, well, there ARE bad ideas (mine).
07-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #27
Pentaxian

They just need to add a connection for third party. I couldn't justify the price but something like this would be nice.
Z CAM EV101
Highlights
2.89" LCD Viewfinder
10-Bit 1440 x 1440 Resolution
Supports up to UHD 4K30 via HDMI Input
Supports up to 1080p60 via SDI Input
Selectable & User-Defined LUTs
Waveform, Histogram & Vectorscope
Focus Peaking, False Color & Zebra
Adjustable Diopter
2-Pin LEMO Power Input
ARRI-Style Rosette Mount
Features
The EVF101 Electronic Viewfinder from Z CAM offers a crisp viewing option for your Z CAM or other camera lacking an integrated viewfinder. This viewfinder has an HDMI input that supports up to UHD 4K30 video and an SDI input supporting up to 1080p60 video. A wireless viewing option supports HDR imaging via a dual-antenna 5 GHz interface.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1591264-REG/z_cam_ev101_2_89_evf_elec...BI%3A514&smp=y
07-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The Fuji x100s and xpro line have OVF/EVF built in. It’s quite nice to use on the X100s. I have not tried the xpro. A lever on the front switches between the two quickly.
07-07-2021, 01:04 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The Fuji x100s and xpro line have OVF/EVF built in. It’s quite nice to use on the X100s. I have not tried the xpro. A lever on the front switches between the two quickly.
Yeah but it's not TTL...
07-07-2021, 01:24 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I get the expense thing. In a world where you can buy a Canon EOS-1D X Mark III (what a mouthful) or Nikon D6 for a mere USD6500, there must be room for my over-complicated Heath Robinson monster.

A distant variation on my idea would be a DSLR with an AF sensor that has thousands of points. So many that focus point highlighting inside the OVF looks like focus peaking on an EVF. Call me a dreamer.
Dreamer.!
Although I like the idea, it's not gonna happen any time soon. And I'll second the point of the compromised WR. We pentaxians pretty much rely on this. And many other aspects, of course. But are you that big a fan of EVF? Additionally, on what type of body would you put that? And how much would it sell for?..