Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can have the thing you are asking for, today, right now. Just use this:

07-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have this crazy idea, inspired by the interchangeable prism on my LX. I only have the FA1 that came with it but have always thought it was cool.

So here is my plan. Make a DSLR with a normal but removable prism OVF. Also make an EVF with the same form factor that can be swapped in. Sell kits with one or the other, or both.

When the camera body detects the EVF, it locks up the mirror and goes into live view mode. You can choose between the rear screen and EVF as per usual with a MILC. Best of both worlds, yippee!

What can go wrong? Modern DSLRs pack a lot of electronics into the prism, including the light meter. In an LX that lives at the bottom of the mirror box. That space is used by the AF gear in a DSLR. Might be doable, but the light meter would be duplicated in the EVF and OVF, driving up costs.

Another flaw is the number of contacts needed. It could be a great many, making the connection complicated and fragile. Perhaps some sort of near fields comms between viewfinder and body could keep this in check, but this is uncharted territory. R&D could be a big effort.

I am releasing this as a royalty free idea. No guarantee, but since is free it is great value for money.

What say you?
You will sell as many of them as Koenigsegg sells cars, and it will probably be just as expensive.
07-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Yeah but it's not TTL...
The EVF side is. Doesn’t much matter for the OVF in 35mm eq. On the x100s the overlay will show the capture area. For the xpro you probably need to use the EVF for a telephoto but I haven't had experience with them.

Rangefinder has its limitations but so does having to have a mirror box.

A lot of mirrorless advantage is the larger lens mounts with the glass much closer to the sensor. Plus adapters that can take a bunch of different lens mounts.

If living with the mirror box then some sort of flip up or sliding EVF that goes in front of the OVF in the viewfinder would work. But you would need to have the live view speed of a mirrorless like the D780 vs the slow as heck live view on a D750 to take advantage.

One of those hoods would be fine if you don’t mind the bulk if the live view isn’t contrast detect and slow.

At any rate it’ll probably end up being expensive and have a niche market.

The X100 line is a fun set of cameras to use. The latest finally being weather sealed.
07-08-2021, 01:41 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
But are you that big a fan of EVF?
I just love the EVF on my Samsung NX1 bodies, as it makes manual focus with my old school lenses a breeze.

Wearing glasses? Two words about MF on a DSLR with the likes of 50/1.2, 85/1.4 or 200/2.5 - forget it!

That said, I will always have a place in my heart for mirrors. Been using them since the mid eighties.

---------- Post added 2021-07-08 at 11:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Maybe it would be easier and more affordable just to make an EVF that connects to the hot shoe and put the body into mirror up position.

I've seen the Fuji GFX100 has that accessory, it's kind of big and works for slow tripod shooting but I'm sure you could make a smaller one that would be not too hard to get used to.
An EVF that sits on the hotshoe? Great idea, I like it a lot.

Sounds entirely doable - vloggers already do this. A little EVF makes more sense for stills shooters than this contraption.

07-08-2021, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sure enough, someone beat us to it. A little clunky maybe but seems to be entirely what is needed to scratch the itch. Should work with any recent Pentax but IDK.

UrbanFox.TV Blog: World's first HD DSLR EVF ships

---------- Post added 2021-07-08 at 11:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
You can have the thing you are asking for, today, right now. Just use this:
Sorry but that is just way too ugly, geeky, dorky and nerdy. I do not want to be seen in public rocking one of those.

Last edited by Wasp; 07-08-2021 at 02:51 AM.
07-08-2021, 03:40 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I'd say it's a great idea and could 100% work at a technical level but it'll never happen. The cost would be prohibitive plus the people who want mirrorless wouldn't want the added size and weight of a DSLR mirror box. The people who want a DSLR wouldn't want the IQ impact of the focusing pixels needed to get really good AF when in mirrorless mode.
07-08-2021, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about something like this?

Sure enough, someone beat us to it. A little clunky maybe but seems to be entirely what is needed to scratch the itch. Should work with any recent Pentax but IDK.

---------- Post added 2021-07-08 at 11:49 ----------

Sorry but that is just way too ugly, geeky, dorky and nerdy. I do not want to be seen in public rocking one of those.
Definitely not ugly , dorky , geeky or nerdy it is just very cute

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air (4th generation)  Photo 
07-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Definitely not ugly , dorky , geeky or nerdy it is just very cute
It took me a few seconds to digest what I was looking at there, but it is a solution to a use case.

Steve
07-11-2021, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is the Fuji GFX100 attachment for the hot shoe. It is able to tilt up so if you have it mounted on a tripod low you can angle it up to look down through it.
Attached Images

07-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Should work with any recent Pentax but IDK.
This is the current product catalog:
http://www.cineroid.com/upload/2019/04/2019%20cineroid%20catalog_web.pdf#page=13
03-18-2024, 10:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

it's a bit funny that the number one selling camera right now is a EVF/OVF hybrid looking back through the comments on this thread.