Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2021, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
EVF or OVF? Why not both?

I have this crazy idea, inspired by the interchangeable prism on my LX. I only have the FA1 that came with it but have always thought it was cool.

So here is my plan. Make a DSLR with a normal but removable prism OVF. Also make an EVF with the same form factor that can be swapped in. Sell kits with one or the other, or both.

When the camera body detects the EVF, it locks up the mirror and goes into live view mode. You can choose between the rear screen and EVF as per usual with a MILC. Best of both worlds, yippee!

What can go wrong? Modern DSLRs pack a lot of electronics into the prism, including the light meter. In an LX that lives at the bottom of the mirror box. That space is used by the AF gear in a DSLR. Might be doable, but the light meter would be duplicated in the EVF and OVF, driving up costs.

Another flaw is the number of contacts needed. It could be a great many, making the connection complicated and fragile. Perhaps some sort of near fields comms between viewfinder and body could keep this in check, but this is uncharted territory. R&D could be a big effort.

I am releasing this as a royalty free idea. No guarantee, but since is free it is great value for money.

What say you?

07-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Frankly "too complicated/expensive " for the current/future "market".
07-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
EVF or OVF? Why not both?
More expensive to make. Camera market is going down, making hybrid camera with dual viewfinder would be the nail in the coffin.
VF has never been a problem for me. If I had to complain about something it would be about eye relief when wearing glasses. I'm not aware of ANY camera model being comfortable to use with my eye glasses.
07-06-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why stop there, how about a camera that can shoot film as well as digital? Without clunky interchangeable backs, of course. What could possibly go wrong?

Quite a lot, really.

07-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what about the dust?

it is hard enough to keep dust away while changing the lenses,
+ contacts/connectivity , I used in the past some German gear with modular design , great in principals but when you start changing modules more often , the whole apparatus become unreliable.
+ WR would most likely get compromised
07-06-2021, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I say "Yes! Yes! Yes! "

But I'd go a big step further. I want a true hybrid that rapidly switches between EVF and OVF depending on the mode and settings.

I want to get the quickie review image after the shot in the viewfinder just before the mirror drops (no more chimping!). And it would be able to flip between OVF and EVF modes without taking my eye from the eyepiece.

There are at least four different technological architectures that can do this:

1. Second VF-switching reflex-mirror that swaps between the optical focusing screen and a side or top-mounted EVF display. (This is more feasible in the 645 body design)

2. An image injector shines through the front surface of the pentaprism toward the eyepiece. (Ricoh has a patent that seems to do that.)

3. A display projector inside the pentaprism apex beams an image down on to the focusing screen when the mirror is up.

4. The focusing screen is a combination of an array of microchannel light concentrators and OLED emitters. (It's an expensive option but the plate could also provide micro-prism focusing aid functionality.)

It really could be the best of both worlds in terms of having the advantages of both MILC and DSLR viewfinders.
07-06-2021, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wasp the world needs more people like you that think out-of-the box. Just remember that 99% of new ideas get shot down. Don't let the Old Fogy's get you down, they are just upset because you got there first.

07-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

On the gr3 the view finder is an accessory.
07-06-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

What about a view finder that doubles as OVF and EVF? Only needs a tiny flippy screen inside the viewfinder.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 07-06-2021 at 12:52 PM. Reason: deleting the quote
07-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hm , what about the Cyborg , perhaps even Borg.
Should we seriously start thinking about the practical and doable way to achieve it?
07-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I get the expense thing. In a world where you can buy a Canon EOS-1D X Mark III (what a mouthful) or Nikon D6 for a mere USD6500, there must be room for my over-complicated Heath Robinson monster.

A distant variation on my idea would be a DSLR with an AF sensor that has thousands of points. So many that focus point highlighting inside the OVF looks like focus peaking on an EVF. Call me a dreamer.
07-06-2021, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe it would be easier and more affordable just to make an EVF that connects to the hot shoe and put the body into mirror up position.

I've seen the Fuji GFX100 has that accessory, it's kind of big and works for slow tripod shooting but I'm sure you could make a smaller one that would be not too hard to get used to.

But honestly if you want an EVF just buy a mirrorless camera.
07-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you are retaining the mirror and all the other camera dimensions and weight, what possible advantage will a EVF have?, I don't get it.

As mentioned WR will be compromised or impossible and the inter-connections will suffer in time meaning reliability will tank.

Another aspect to consider, a dedicated OVF or EVF is as compact as possible without the need for a redundant external interface (in use). The external interface is only of use when changing over.

You might want to look at the Fujifilm X-Pro 3 for a version of what you want built in.
07-06-2021, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always good to keep tossing out ideas. I don't think this particular one is viable for a lot of reasons, but it's nice to see ideas floating around. Sometimes those "not practical" ideas spark something that is practical, or can be practical with the right technology.
07-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Not really worth it. Just have 2 cameras. I love my OVF Pentax cameras and wouldn't want to lose that. I also have a Fuji X-T1 with adapters. Almost all of my glass is usable on the Fuji and focus peaking makes manual focus a breeze. It's not that expensive to pick up second hand mirrorless bodies and a cheap adapter. Not everyone wants 2 systems, I get that, but the proposed camera with all its compromises is worse I think.