only slightly related:
start at 03:06
https://youtu.be/x1t0pzX6VzQ?t=186
:P

07-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I didn't have a camera back when I weny to the GC (it all started because of that trip) so I can't quite say a lot regarding personal experience specifically with photo gear, but like others said light is 100% plentiful. The 16-85 ought to be mostly enough for the trip - my friend took awesome shots with his 16-50 Sony kit lens. The other two zooms (10-20 and 55-300) I'd keep as backup if you see something for which you need them.

Can't give advice on baseball, though... No clue even about distance to field
07-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a pretty short and regimented trip, I would just take the K-3III. The Grand Canyon guided tour sounds as if you will be moving quite a bit with no chance to stop and use a tripod, for me that would rule out the excellent Kiron 28, and the other manual focus lenses. I would think the possibilities here are the 10-20, 31 or 77, 16-85, and 55-300. Also consider how much you want to carry, and the environment for changing lenses, I do assume you will be in a vehicle some of the time.

I have been to sporting events with the same or similar rules. They will barely look at your gear as you come through. Unless you want closeups of players or fans, I would stick with wide angle and get pictures of the park and maybe architectural details, or more like street shots. I would probably choose the 10-20, or the 16-85 and maybe the 31 or 77. Again, how much do you want to carry and keep an eye on? About the only place to stash gear is under you seat or hold it. And people do drop drinks and such that just flow downward.

I only have one of the lenses you list which is the 55-300PLM. So it's a bit of guessing on some, I don't really know the character of the Sigma 10-20, just that it is wide. Also I have none of the FA Limited, but they have such good reputations, I would think having at least one of them along for high quality photos would be a good thing. I mention the 31 and 77 because they are the ones that intrigue me the most.

In the end I would say take the ones that you like the best and go light.
07-07-2021, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Sounds like a pretty short and regimented trip,. . . I have been to sporting events with the same or similar rules. . . . About the only place to stash gear is under you seat or hold it. And people do drop drinks and such that just flow downward. . . . .
yes it is

the nice thing about the requirement of a clear plastic bag is that it can help protect the gear

in the past, I put the stuff under the seat in the bag and place a towel around it all

here is a photo, after crop and PP, that I took at a ball game using the K 3 + the HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

of course where your seat is located can affect a lot

in that case, my seat was far enough back and first base was far enough away that the " protective netting " was rendered " invisible "

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-07-2021 at 04:02 PM.
07-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little off topic, but while you're out there I would suggest checking out Arizona Highways magazine. The issues I've seen had some stunning photography.
07-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
A little off topic,. . .
a response to a thread that is a little off topic

how typical of the forums

[ one of the many reasons I like the forums and its members ]
07-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #22

I personally wouldn't bring a long lens to a baseball game unless I had some personal reason for making the effort. Like, I know a player, or I had always wanted to get a picture of a favorite player, etc. I'd take a camera with a wide lens and focus on having fun and documenting the trip itself.

I would personally take the K3iii and sigma 10-20, and then pick between the 43, 55, 77 or 100mm macro. If I wanted to make it really interesting, the lx and 43 would go along for taking documentary images. And then I would spend the whole trip thinking that I should have just brought the K1, 24 and 77 and called it a day.

07-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I assume then that you are staying overnight at the canyon? It’s more than 3.5 hours each way by car from Phoenix. If staying overnight are you doing Astro? . . .
not staying over night, it will be a long day but nothing scheduled for the next day until the ball game in the evening so hopefully we can make a full recovery. The wife scheduled the Grand Canyon trip, I thought there wouldn't be time for it

QuoteQuote:
Tour Itinerary
Van tours to the Grand Canyon with Sedona and the Oak Creek Canyon . . . Tours begin between 6:30 am and 7:30 am and return to your pick up point in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe and Mesa between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm.

Grand Canyon National Park
The Grand Canyon with Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon van tour takes I-17 north with amazing views of the Saguaro Cactus in the Sonora Desert. Continue on to the beautiful Ponderosa Pine Forests en-route to Flagstaff, Arizona. . . .

Sedona

Our stop for pictures of Sedona includes an amazing panoramic view of the Red Rocks. Be sure to have your camera on hand for the breathtaking view you'll want to capture. Journey through the trees of Oak Creek Canyon with its spectacular scenery.

The Grand Canyon
Across Arizona Tours will take you to some of the most spectacular vistas of the Grand Canyon you will ever see. Plus, there will be opportunities to stop and soak in the grandeur. Words and photos alone pale in comparison to the breathtaking experience of seeing the Grand Canyon in person.

more details

QuoteQuote:
Desert View Drive and Desert View Watchtower
Our tour guide will take you on a scenic route that follows 25 miles of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. You will take in spectacular views of the Grand Canyon. A stop at the Desert View Watchtower will give you a chance to see the majestic Grand Canyon. Plus, you can browse through the gifts at the trading post or pick up a quick bite at the snack bar.

El Tovar Lodge
The historic El Tovar Lodge is the crown jewel of the Grand Canyon Lodges. This beautiful lodge originally opened its doors in 1905. In 2005, El Tovar Lodge went through a major renovation keeping its original charm while providing modern amenities. Enjoy the view of the Grand Canyon from the dining room or stroll the grounds to find your favorite vantage point. The El Tovar Lodge also has a great gift shop.

Mary Colter's Hopi House
Famed architect Mary Colter created the Hopi House as a living museum. Hopi Indians live and create one-of-a-kind traditional Native America crafts. Walk through the museum and watch live demonstrations of Hopi Indians creating wonderful crafts. There also is a shop to buy the crafts. Visitors can browse through the collection of Native American arts including Kachina Dolls, silver jewelry, baskets, woven rugs, sand paintings, and pottery to select that special Grand Canyon souvenir.

Verkamp's Visitor Center
For over 100 years, Verkamp's has been a highlight of visitors to the Grand Canyon. Located close to El Tovar Lodge, visitors can meet and speak with National Park Service interpretive guides. Browse through the exhibits and bookstore.

We'll stop as we travel through Sedona for picture taking with a view of the incredible Red Rocks. Be ready to take some incredible pictures of this breathtaking area. We will journey along Oak Creek Canyon with its spectacular scenery.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
is the tour private or public? If private I assume they’re aware you plan to photograph and time is built in for it? . . .

yes there is time for photos, how much time who knows

we have to share a van, hopefully we have picked a day when not many will be going

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-07-2021 at 05:21 PM.
07-07-2021, 05:05 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
I personally wouldn't bring a long lens to a baseball game . . .
I've had pretty good luck with the D FA * 70-200mm in the past at ball games

see post # 19 for an example

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/428014-comments-...ml#post5347004

I've taken photos at base ball games in St. Louis, Chicago, Denver and Kansas City and the D FA * 70-200mm has always been part of the gear I take into the games

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-07-2021 at 05:26 PM.
07-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #25
Pentaxian

That is a huge amount of equipment you would be hauling around. I went to the Grand Canyon back in 2017. The trails you will be waking on can be quite rugged and less gear you have to carry is better. When I went I took a K-5 with SMC 15 Limited K-3 with 16-85 and 55-300 WR (I did not have the PLM back then) I also packed along my DA 21 limited for compact carrying. I would say that at least 90% of the time I was using the K-3 with the 16-85. I would switch to the 55-300 for distant wildlife.
Enjoy your trip! as others have said less is more and you don't want to chance losing a shot changing lenses. If I had your gear I would take the K-3 iii and the 16-85 and the 55-300 PLM, the K10D as backup and one or two small primes as backup. If you think you need more wide angle and don't mind carrying more then add the Sigma 10-20 zoom.
07-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
That is a huge amount of equipment you would be hauling around. Ient to the Grand Canyon back in 2017. . . .
The list is a proposed list of what I may take to Phoenix

Not a final list

That is why I am asking for advice

And what I take to the GC will not be everything I take to Phoenix

We will not have time to hike into the canyon nor would I try such an activity

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-07-2021 at 05:58 PM.
07-07-2021, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably better take a extra large backpack, but the smallest camera and lens you can to the Grand Canyon tour. That way you will have plenty of room to carry all of the stuff your wife is going to buy in those places.
07-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
never been to GC so no idea what I will see or what the light will be
The good light is at sunrise and sunset, mid-day (in summer after 9 or so and before 4 or so) is pretty blah, flat.

for clear skies, You do have some altitude working for you, south rim is about 7k-ft, and north rim over 8K-ft but haze and smoke can be a problem if there are wild fires nearby.
I've been there a couple times, but 30-years or so ago now,
They did have a steam train that ran up to the south rim from Williams, not sure how it has fared from the pandemic shutdowns. If it's running, could be some neat photo ops even if you don't ride it.

In my trips there, I have preferred the north rim, it's quieter (cooler) and more personal, but more commitment, a long single lane highway in and out, the old park lodge there is neat.

My last trip like this with family, to Mt. St. Helens, I took nearly all my gear with me, but only used a single body and two zooms, 18-135 and 55-300, rest of the family does not have the patience to wait for me to mess around a lot. The rest of the gear stayed in the car in the case all of the trip.

it's a pretty part of then world, Have fun,

Last edited by K-Three; 07-07-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Sorry did not notice the second page, I'm probably saying what other have already said...
07-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #29
Pentaxian

10-20, 43, 55-300.

I would not try for baseball shots unless you have good enough seats. I'd settle for a few smartphone shots, there.
07-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'd start with the 10-20, 31 ltd, and 55-300 PLM. Put them all in your kit, and think about a lot of walking. And then maybe add another one you just really love to have. The 16-85 might make a lot of sense as the 4th. Agree that less is often more when traveling. I marvel at how many shots I took over the years with my 28/2.8 on my ME Super while traveling all over the place.