Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Looking for a Macro photography guide/book

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Good day Pentaxians!

Can anyone suggest a good that will help me upgrade my skills and knowledge in macro photography? I've heard Lee Frost wrote a book about it. Is it any good? Also I've found our forum member old4570's book. Will this be enough?

I'll dilute the dullness of my grey text with a photo.

Attached Images

07-09-2021, 12:10 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
John Shaw's Closeups in Nature is excellent. He is a superb photog and specializes in macro. I have this book.
07-09-2021, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canadian photographer Don Kamarachka has just released "Macro Photography: The Universe at our Feet" which is excellent - his projects include water refraction, snowflakes and frozen soap bubbles. I did one of his workshops a few years ago - very inspiring.

Macro Photography: The Universe at Our Feet eBook : Komarechka, Don: Amazon.ca: Books

"The Complete Gude to Macro and Close-up Photography" by Cyrill Harnschmacher is also very good.

The Complete Guide to Macro and Close-Up Photography: Harnischmacher, Cyrill: 9781681980522: Books - Amazon.ca

Last edited by jacamar; 07-09-2021 at 04:24 PM.
07-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys!

07-09-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't know if you can find one, but quite a few years back, Kodak put out a book on Macro and micro photography. Maybe check online or a larger library. It was a paperback of about 60 pages or so and covered a lot of the technical aspects of those subjects (If the technical end peeks your interest).

Oh, here it is on ebay (they "have everything"). Good investment for $4.

Close-Up Photography, Vintage Kodak Book 9780879850234 | eBay

and another (the above was a first edition and then they added content in a second book which was combined into this one).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224151338662?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213...140fd5ad0ddf51

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-09-2021 at 02:24 PM.
07-09-2021, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Don't know if you can find one, but quite a few years back, Kodak put out a book on Macro and micro photography.
Kodak put out so many great books in their day that are still relevant in the digital world.
07-09-2021, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out this site - lots of great information, and he's a Pentax shooter.

Extreme Macro Photography

07-09-2021, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poonis5 Quote
Good day Pentaxians!

Can anyone suggest a good that will help me upgrade my skills and knowledge in macro photography? I've heard Lee Frost wrote a book about it. Is it any good? Also I've found our forum member old4570's book. Will this be enough?

I'll dilute the dullness of my grey text with a photo.
Another vote for John Shaw's Close-ups In Nature. His writing has clarity and flows. It is one of the best photography books.

Thanks,
barondla
07-10-2021, 03:43 AM   #9
dlhawes

Youtube is being flooded with wannabees, but there's still a lot of good information, though you have to hunt and fetch:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=macro+photo
07-11-2021, 12:52 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Another vote for John Shaw's Close-ups In Nature. His writing has clarity and flows. It is one of the best photography books.

Thanks,
barondla
Found a free copy of it online. But it looks like it was written in the film Era. But since two people recommended it, it should be still good. Thank you
07-16-2021, 01:10 PM   #11

Very good job on that butterfly

I was brought to this discussion by Google; I'm looking for good books on macro photography because I want to photograph insects.

I wanted to tell you that for a beginner, you did not do a half bad job on that butterfly. A professional might have made the butterfly take up more of the screen and blurred out the grass, or in this case maybe not. The image is clear and in focus, and one can make out every feature, and that is a very tiny butterfly that constantly moves very fast. I'd love to know how you shot the picture!

Yours,
Dora Smith
08-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by villandra Quote
I was brought to this discussion by Google; I'm looking for good books on macro photography because I want to photograph insects.

I wanted to tell you that for a beginner, you did not do a half bad job on that butterfly. A professional might have made the butterfly take up more of the screen and blurred out the grass, or in this case maybe not. The image is clear and in focus, and one can make out every feature, and that is a very tiny butterfly that constantly moves very fast. I'd love to know how you shot the picture!

Yours,
Dora Smith
Thank you Vilandra.
I have an old manual Pentax 100mm f/4 lens and Pentax k-30. I set up my camera in such a way that if only takes a picture in AF mode (while using MF lens) when camera confirms that center object is in focus. I kneeled and started slowly shifting my body towards the butterfly pressing the shutter release. Camera took a photo when the butterfly came into focus. I've also did some basic lightroom editing.