Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2021, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I've grown a lot by being forced to rethink what photos i make. That also meant abandoning"traditional" street photography entirely and landscapes for the most part.

07-10-2021, 11:31 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Of course the impact of Covid on photographers is pretty much irrelevant in the great scheme of things, but perhaps it will have had one positive outcome if it has taught photographers how to find the beauty and interest in their own local environments.
Well said on both counts.

In January of 2020 my sister and I were planning a summer trip to Newfoundland; she for the second time and me for the first. In preparation, I cashed in a small retirement fund and bought a used DA*60-250 (my 'iceberg' lens) and a used KP, both from PF members. Then Covid hit and Canada closed its borders. My wife and I are both in our 60s and she has asthma, so we were very cautious about masking and social distancing until we got vaccinated. The upside is that I bought Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Composition'. It opened my eyes to photo possibilities all around me. I still haven't put into practice all that it taught me, but now I see things I didn't see before.
07-10-2021, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It really hasn't impacted me, but much of my photography has become what Is see on daily walks where I live. The challenge is not overlooking things you take for routine because of familiarity. Different times of day, weather etc. add new dimensions, and it's just a matter of being receptive to them.
07-10-2021, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The pandemic has affected my photography in a profound way. I used to dabble in street photography during my commute. I work from home now, for which I am thankful. But I seem to have lost my mojo, photographically speaking. Still looking for other genres to move into.

To make thing slightly worse, my Samsung NX100 was stolen. I replaced it with an NX1. Great camera but a little too pro looking for the street. Not that it actually matters. I could venture out onto the streets I suppose, but without a commute it would serve no purpose. No time for that.

Last edited by Wasp; 07-10-2021 at 11:47 AM.
07-10-2021, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Covid changed my photography. I started with thinking I need a shot worth printing. My view changed to what is worth having printed or even photographed. Amazing subjects started revealing themselves to me.
Photography switched from me capturing the best of what I see to seeing wonderful parts of the world I would ignore. The world has become much bigger.
07-10-2021, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the UK we had a furlough scheme which helped no end for financially surviving lockdown and we put the time to enormous use at home: it really was time well spent. Photographically, it gave time too to watch some truly excellent content on YouTube about photography, instead of gear, technique or iconic locations. Creators had to think of stuff they could make or talk about under the isolated conditions and a few really excelled themselves. I find myself looking with much more aware eyes these days and enjoying the world for what it is, not just as a subject to snap away at.
07-10-2021, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardJ Quote
I think I found it creatively fruitful. The restrictions on movement meant I was staying local and just going for a walk along the same streets each day, seeing the same things each day. But that actually forced me to try different things, so I could find new photographs out of those same scenes. I'd go out with a different lens each day, because that would lead me to look for different photographs. I was surprised how much variety of subject matter and composition I could find. I tried different styles of photography, like still life studio type pictures, that I'd not tried before.

It's one of those things that sometimes a constraint can help you creatively.
I’ll agree with you. My photography surely did get hit at the first two months, this cannot be argued. But then there is an open call for alternative themes, experimentation. And I took it warm-heartedly, personally. I participated in some interesting challenges in the forum, took a great macro self-seminar and tried to look for a bright side. The big problem is now. I get to work regularly again , the weather is hot and I cannot say no to the sea.

07-10-2021, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Trips to Florida and the Arctic were cancelled and we didn't travel anywhere else that would require an overnight stay (like the bird migration hotspots on Lake Erie) when things got restrictive so less variety of output from travel at least, for bird photography especially. Distance travel was discouraged but we didn't have curfews or actual distance limits so we did day trips to places we knew would have few people and where we could keep a safe distance.
At first the parking lots of the parks we visit along the lakeshore were closed off but the powers that be soon came to their senses (in that regard at least) and opened them up again. The parks became much more crowded than before as there were fewer alternative things to do. More photographers too - I understand more people are taking up birding and photography but that may have been at least partly becase people had to travel more locally. My new K3-III encouraged me to get out and test its capabilities so that pushed me out of the house a bit more.
I have done a lot more walking on local streets and in the ravines that run through the City carrying just my Ricoh GRIII and that produced some murky B&W shots. The camera has also been good for B&W shoreline and driftwood shots that also seemed to suit the mood of the times.
So it was mostly a shift of emphasis - there's a lot to be said for paying more attention to your local patch but I'm certainly looking forward to doing more travel again.

Last edited by jacamar; 07-10-2021 at 02:47 PM.
07-10-2021, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The covid situation didn't really affect me that much. Social distancing required no change in my lifestyle. Since we never got into a total lockdown situation here. I was able to get out and get some shots of deserted streets & buildings, and explore the countryside with less people around.
07-11-2021, 03:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian

My very last street picture. I worked from home the next day and has not been back to the office yet.