Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

Like that ever happens. Where were you lot when I dropped nearly $3k on the D FA* 85/1.4 last year?
Well truthfully, we here on the forums arent that good on the whole "talking people out of buying camera gear & camera related accessories", which I think is why we end up sellin.. *cough* I mean "tradeing" out gear amongst each other 😂

07-11-2021, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Well truthfully, we here on the forums arent that good on the whole "talking people out of buying camera gear & camera related accessories",
That's a serious understatement.
07-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cancel your internet provider.
07-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Cancel your internet provider.
I think this.... amd maybe crushing both feet/knees should do.

07-11-2021, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I think this.... amd maybe crushing both feet/knees should do.
I don't think we need to cripple the poor boy! Thanks for the laugh though.
07-11-2021, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're contemplating buying something new then just think about the resources that will be used in it's manufacture and remember that everything ends up in landfill eventually. And if it's a used item then buying it will put you $xx further away from retirement.

Those are the things that work for me.

And try holding off for 72 hours to decide if you really need it after all.................it works.

Last edited by carlb; 07-11-2021 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Extra info
07-11-2021, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Guys I just bought a drone. GAS is somewhat satisfied hahah

07-11-2021, 10:47 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
Guys I just bought a drone. GAS is somewhat satisfied hahah
Our work is done here!

Steve
07-12-2021, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank god I am clean...no G.A.S., no lenses psychosis, just the essentials. Money rules and I have not.
07-12-2021, 01:11 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Our work is done here!
with the caveat: 'for today'.

See you all for another round tomorrow
07-12-2021, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
working on my skills rather than dreaming over a bit of gear that likely will not really make any difference to my skill level
GAS in the hope of improving your photos is only one particular type of GAS, it is just the most expensive one. There is also the "personal museum" type in which the item is quite possibly not even used.

A few years ago here there was a link and discussion here (can't find it now) to a UK newspaper article about a guy who had spent his life buying old cameras from junk shops. He had rented a redundant village hall and packed it with them. About half of them were Box Brownies AFAIR. I don't think his aim was to improve his photographic skills though
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
These things place a limit on G.A.S.:

-- Available funds
-- Available space on shelf/in bag
-- Realization that a tool unused is a tool wasted and too many of one's tools are languishing in dark corners unused.

Steve
For the second type of GAS I mentioned above, funds are not much of a limitation. I have bought several high end film era flash units from Ebay recently, mostly for under £10. There is a certain fascination about paying peanuts for something which, not all that long ago, I would only have admired in a shop window with a price tag of £100-200. Used photo gear is a buyer's market at present, there are heaps of film era stuff that most people don't realise can still be used with digital. So there are hardly any bidders on Ebay and I've watched stuff sell for its 99 pence starting price that should have sold for £100 - possibly placed by inexperienced sellers who didn't realise that would happen.

Most of this older stuff will be wasted whether you buy it or not. Putting it on your shelf is probably saving it from landfill. It is sad to see nice film era outfits on Ebay - camera and two or three lenses in a shoulder bag, probably being sold by the widow of the deceased owner - that nobody wants.
07-12-2021, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Purchase in haste, repent with treasure
07-12-2021, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does anyone have any tips on how they deal with their G.A.S as for me its urges may soon be pushing me over the edge?
Log off, get a life, take photos

I can't say I'm a gas sufferer but trying to find a ff 4 prime lens setup for Pentax has, coupled with pandemic surfing, led to me looking more at gear, and auction sites than I used to. Also buying a few lenses to see if they might work. My photography has at the same time taken a dip due to the pandemic (not numbers of photos, having young kids means I snap away more than enough).
07-12-2021, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t know about everyone else I sometimes find myself to have to much G.A.S that I don’t know what to do with myself. And sometimes I just feel it build up so much that I need a release. Does anyone have any tips on how they deal with their G.A.S as for me its urges may soon be pushing me over the edge?
Gear in total is not hard, at least for me……….YET

Do I have a lot, possibly, 3 film SLRS 5 DSLRs, but I have acquired them all in sequence as technology advanced, I just never sold off old gear.

Lenses, on the other hand, are a little different. Especially legacy lenses, if I happen onto one at a good price, we’ll, I simply bui it. That said, there is method to it.
I have an M42 kit, ranging from 16mm fisheye through 300 mm. But all the lenses are usually quite fast 24 and 28mm f2.5, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.9, etc…. I have duplicate focal lengths, usually because I like to play especially with preset lenses. In all about 20 lenses
My K mount kit has 3 zooms at present 17-35, 70-210/3.5 and 200-500/5.6, plus primes from 8mm fisheye through 400 mm, but again most lenses are fast, 24 through 35 mm at F2.0, 50 and 85 mm f1.4, etc… again about 20 lenses
My AF kit is all zooms 10-20mm sigma, 28-75mm/2.8 tamron 70-200/2.8 sigma with 1.4x and 2x TCs plus a DA560/5.6

Again all lenses are high quality and fast. The point is that good lenses outlast camera bodies. I used my Series 1 70-210/3.5 for 20 years, and my sigma 70-200/2.8 which replaced it is almost 20 years old and still produces good images.
07-12-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it is a big deal to accumulate gear, as long as you can afford it.

If it is a problem, then focus more on taking photos and only get new gear when you feel there is a deficiency in your gear that keeps you from taking the photos you want to. What I have come to realize is that most of us take a similar style of photo, regardless of the camera/lens we are using. Better gear may give sharper or more in focus images, but the style remains our own. Clearly the biggest focus each one of us should have is improving our vision and skill such that our images live up to what we see in our mind's eye. This will be the most satisfying experience and one that will give better results than getting a new 50mm lens.