Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2021, 09:52 AM - 3 Likes   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The best way I have found is to limit yourself for a while, be it a one-camera-one-lens challenge, or a photo a day challenge with specific gear. Explore the limits of a part of your kit, in order to stave off or get rid of the feeling that there's a hole in your gear. It's amazing what limitations can accomplish. But you typically need to do it as part of a group to stick with it.

07-12-2021, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The only remedy is to be out shooting, and don't take a smart phone or laptop, stay away from anyplace that might sell gear. I feel that I'm ready to sell of some seldom used gear, which means I'll have room for something else. I must resist, must resist. . .
Sell?
07-12-2021, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #78
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
And try holding off for 72 hours to decide if you really need it after all.................it works.
This is something I do with anything I think I need. Wait a couple of days and see if the "need" is still there. Often the extra time to think of enough, sometimes not...
07-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #79
Pentaxian

I just wait for my wife to start noticing the packages showing up on the front porch. That curbs things for a while.

07-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
We often buy things mistakenly thinking we are also buying the time to put them to use.
This could just be the best reply to this whole thread. Wise words.
07-12-2021, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
There is also the "personal museum" type in which the item is quite possibly not even used.
I certainly fit this with old film cameras, and I find it quite satisfying. I have slowly accumulated a lot of the old Pentax bodies I lusted for in a prior point in my life when I could not have considered buying them due to cost - an MX, K-2, LX and so forth. I've shot some rolls with the LX, and plan to with the others, but for now, I enjoy gazing across the room at my little collection.
07-12-2021, 07:26 PM - 2 Likes   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sell?
Heretic.

07-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That's actually really pretty easy...

Only buy something... when your existing kit can't do what you need it to.

Ask the Harem.
Sounds too easy but I've not done too badly.
I once had all of the Q series, some duplicated because I love my cameras in black.
Then I duplicated most of the lenses in black, burning my fingers when the duties and taxes from Japan and USA hit.
Sold all Qs now, losing quite some money.
Weighed down with surplus gear and still shopping like hell.
07-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somehow my GAS subsided naturally these days I really not lusting over gear... That much) still would love to get the DFA 50 1.4..
07-12-2021, 09:12 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Somehow my GAS subsided naturally these days I really not lusting over gear... That much) still would love to get the DFA 50 1.4..
Thats the last thing I bought coming in the mail tomorrow hahah. My gas should be ok for a bit. I find that it subsides as I get closer to my ideal camera gear
07-13-2021, 12:57 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
The best way I have found is to limit yourself for a while, be it a one-camera-one-lens challenge, or a photo a day challenge with specific gear. Explore the limits of a part of your kit, in order to stave off or get rid of the feeling that there's a hole in your gear. It's amazing what limitations can accomplish. But you typically need to do it as part of a group to stick with it.
It's actually not about limiting yourself. I'm in my 6th single-in-challenge (struggling a bit in the last few days, but catching up). It's actually the commitment to go out and take at least one photo to share every day - which necessarily reduces the time spent on nurturing your GAS. This, combined with the chance to really explore the strengths and weaknesses of the lens of the month, is a lot more satisfying than studying gear theoretically. I sometimes bring an additional lens, but that doesn't impact the commitment. It has also encouraged me to explore my environment for photographic opportunities beyond my usual subjects.

I'm not immune to GAS, have bought a lot of stuff and am aware of what I should probably sell. because it's been superseded or plain unused. But the stuff I'm looking for now is really what I found missing in the process of taking pictures, such as a more practical bag for my bike that would hold K-1 with the 15-30mm mounted, a low-height light stand for ground-level macro work ... Lenses? I have more than I can regularly use that cover nearly every photographic situation with good quality and enough lenses with character to fill the time that I have to play with them. I can't promise to not jump on a modern D-FA should one show up as a bargain. Knowing what I have learned through the SICs, there's no rush and not even @pepperberry was able to convince me to buy that long-sought Nokton which turned up recently .
07-13-2021, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

GAS cannot be cured, only appeased.
07-13-2021, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sell?
Think of it as recycling, that is good right?.
The money is recycled into more desirable kit, it only goes one way like DA kit lens > DA limited lens and ends in * lenses or something like that
07-13-2021, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
“discipline maketh a man”
I wasn't talking about myself
07-13-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Think of it as recycling, that is good right?.
The money is recycled into more desirable kit, it only goes one way like DA kit lens > DA limited lens and ends in * lenses or something like that
In the words of The Mandalorian (Star Wars): "This is the way" 😂😂