Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
latest information I have seen about YNP

not good for Gardiner MT nor the towns at the NE entrance of YNP :

QuoteQuote:

Yellowstone Public Radio | By Olivia Weitz
Published August 5, 2022 at 4:33 AM CDT . .. .

Tourism at Yellowstone National Park is down about 40% this summer after devastating floods wiped out roads in and around the park in June. Towns at two of the park's five entrances were completely cut off from it. . . .

In July, the park opened a lifeline: Improving an old dirt road from Gardiner into Yellowstone that is typically only used by bicyclists, hikers and one-way vehicle traffic.

It took tons of heavy equipment work to make it more drivable, but now the Park Service is allowing a limited number of guide service vehicles to use the road to bring tourists into the park. It's still closed to private vehicles.

Wildlife guide Matt DeMassino says the Old Gardiner Road dates to the stagecoach era.

"This is the exact road that Teddy Roosevelt would have taken when he visited the park in 1903," said DeMassino. "And before that, Chester A. Arthur, first president to come visit the park, came in on this way, so I'm going to start calling it the Presidential Route."

A great experience for a few tourists
The road winds steeply through sagebrush hills toward the massive, steaming mineral deposits at Mammoth Hot Springs.. . .

Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Cam Sholly says the goal is to open up as much of the park as possible for the benefit of tourists and the businesses that depend on their spending, which is more than $230 million a year on this end of the park alone.

"Whatever we can do to as quickly as possible regain some level of access for those communities is critical for us," Sholly said. He says it will likely be years before there's a permanent fix to the park's entrance road at Gardiner. For now, the park is trying to strike a balance between allowing guides to use the Old Gardiner Road and making sure construction crews can pave it for tourists to start using it in the interim this fall.

"We all know it's not going to be normal," Sholly said. "We also know that it can't be just wide open on the Old Gardiner Road because if we don't give those contractors time to work and they don't finish the road before winter then that opens up a whole other host of problems that we'll have to deal with." . . .

Attendance at Yellowstone National Park plummets after road washouts in June | Iowa Public Radio

08-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Attendance at Yellowstone National Park plummets after road washouts in June | Iowa Public Radio
Thank for the updates, I haven't been closely following the developments there. So very sad. On an unrelated note, I'm off in a few weeks to visit the Rocky Mountain National Park. I assume you've been there before, Allen? I'm trying to travel fairly light this time, so taking my KP, DA 18-270mm, DA 15mm, and FA 43mm. Maybe also my little 18-50mm RE WR in case there's inclement weather.
08-05-2022, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #138
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
. . . On an unrelated note, I'm off in a few weeks to visit the Rocky Mountain National Park. I assume you've been there before, Allen? I'm trying to travel fairly light this time, so taking my KP, DA 18-270mm, DA 15mm, and FA 43mm. Maybe also my little 18-50mm RE WR in case there's inclement weather.
been there twice, Sept 2001 and Sept 2020, here is the thread for that trip:

going to Estes Park + Rocky Mountain National Park 9/10 - 14, hints + advice sought - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-05-2022 at 04:31 PM.
08-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #139
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Thank for the updates, I haven't been closely following the developments there. So very sad. On an unrelated note, I'm off in a few weeks to visit the Rocky Mountain National Park. I assume you've been there before, Allen? I'm trying to travel fairly light this time, so taking my KP, DA 18-270mm, DA 15mm, and FA 43mm. Maybe also my little 18-50mm RE WR in case there's inclement weather.
been there twice last time in 2020, here is the thread for that trip:

going to Estes Park + Rocky Mountain National Park 9/10 - 14, hints + advice sought - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

08-05-2022, 05:53 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
been there twice, Sept 2001 and Sept 2020, here is the thread for that trip:

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing some bull elk!
08-05-2022, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #141
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
have fun

Be careful

they are wild animals and can be dangerous

as can be the cows
08-19-2022, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #142
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Best information I have seen on the access to areas of YNP

Flood Recovery and Operations - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

bottom line the chart you find there shows no private vehicle access through the North or North East Gate

limited foot traffic and bicycle access to those locations and the Lamar Valley

10-19-2022, 10:50 AM   #143
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Latest news:

QuoteQuote:
North Loop (Mammoth to Norris, Canyon Village to Tower-Roosevelt, & Tower-Roosevelt to Mammoth) - OPEN

North Entrance Road (Gardiner, MT to Mammoth Hot Springs) - CLOSED1
Old Gardiner Road (a limited-access road between Gardiner, Montana and Mammoth Hot Springs) will open to regular traffic no later than Nov. 1, 2022 to regular traffic.

Northeast Entrance Road (Cooke City, MT & Silver Gate, MT to Tower-Roosevelt) - OPEN
This road will continue to be an active construction zone. Drivers will need to use caution and watch for crews and heavy equipment.

South Loop (Norris to Canyon Village to Fishing Bridge to West Thumb to Madison to Norris) - OPEN

Hwy 191 - OPEN
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-21-2022 at 07:22 AM.