Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #16
Forum Member

Sounds like a nice trip. I like your Sigma 10-20mm, FA 70 - 200mm, and 77mm for a lighter haul that will capture it all. On a side note a great phone app is photopills, helps to plan your shooting times with location plotting. Have a goodtime.

07-23-2021, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! What a great way to celebrate.

Since you been there before you probably already know where, when, and how to get to around. I made that same trip in Sept 2019. I planned the trip like I was there to do a photo shoot of the parks. Not as if that was my goal, but it got me to the best locations at the right times making the best use of my time, thus very enjoyable for me. I took everything I owned for just in case moments. I rarely found use for an ultra wide angle lens. The landscapes are just too big and distant to capture much detail going extra wide, unless you have a real interesting sky. Most of my landscape shots were between 28 and 60mm or longer on a crop camera. However, my tastes are probably different than yours. When driving thru the park I kept a K50 w/55-300mm plm and a K70 w/DA* 300mm+1.4 teleconverter at the ready for wildlife. Hint, agree to have the wife drive and you in the back seat with the windows down so you can shoot out either side of the vehicle very quickly for the wildlife.

In early September expect any type of weather. I had 3 days of sunny and 75 degrees, and 4 days of overcast misty rain in the mid to upper 40's. One night of sleet and snow (I was tent camping). Overnight lows will be in the lower 30's or colder.

I found the books "Photographing Yellowstone National Park" by Gustav W Verderber (Kodak ambassador to Yellowstone), and "Photographer's Guide to Yellowstone & the Tetons" by Joseph K. Lange to be very helpful, especially in the planning part.

Most importantly, celebrate and have fun.

Edited to add: The parks begin to transition to Winter operations the week after Labor Day. By the 15th to 20th you will find some facilities and services unavailable. The upside is the crowds and traffic are diminished.

Last edited by DWS1; 07-23-2021 at 03:45 PM.
07-23-2021, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Congratulations! What a great way to celebrate.. . .
Most importantly, celebrate and have fun.

Edited to add: The parks begin to transition to Winter operations the week after Labor Day. By the 15th to 20th you will find some facilities and services unavailable. The upside is the crowds and traffic are diminished.
thank you

a lot of park supplied tours have been very limited or stopped because of Covid-19 protocols

here is a source for information

Current Conditions - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

QuoteQuote:
Grand Loop Rd
(Tower Fall to Canyon Village)
The road between Tower-Roosevelt and Canyon Junction will be completely closed until May 2022.

NE Entrance Rd
(Northeast Entrance to Tower Junction)
Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, Montana open for the season (conditions permitting). Night closures Monday–Thursday nights (7 pm–7 am).

Grand Loop Rd
(Old Faithful to Old Faithful Ranger Station)
Construction on the bridge entering and exiting the Old Faithful Area. Expect delays during peak visitation times.

N Entrance Rd
(North Entrance to Mammoth Hot Springs)
Expect delays at the North Entrance. The entrance station will be open.
Current Conditions - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
07-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Allen, Good luck with your trip and happy Shooting there. Sound like a great way to celebrate. I've been reading alot of articles saying that the National Parks are literally swamped with people thought to be related to Covid and traveling abroad issues. People are vacationing in places they didn't normally go. If there is anything you can reserve ahead of time, I would suggest doing it... I have not been there so I don't know quite how it all works there, If My Recent trip to Mt Washington in New Hampshire was any indication of crowds, You may see far more humans than you have in the past... hopefully that doesn't affect your wildlife ops.

al

07-23-2021, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
. . . I have not been there so I don't know quite how it all works there,. . .
thanks

YNP opens reservations for in park lodging and activities for the next year a year ahead

so for the Summer 2022, the reservation system opened earlier this summer

for Summer 2023, the system will open up in late may or early june 2022

they fill up fast

so each year, " those in the know " place their reservations for staying in the park as well as for park activities asap

funny thing about the system - you are charged for the first night only and can cancel without charge if you do so 30 days or more before your arrival date

so as people cancel out, openings can occur

I was able to schedule what we needed in October of 2020 but

then found out in February of 2021 that due to covid 19 protocols our reservations were cancelled or cut back and all but one park sponsored tour cancelled

so currently we are only staying one night in the park with one park sponsored tour planned and will have to drive through the park in the dark to make the early morning tour

we have other activities planned and we have rooms in Gardiner Montana ( I had set those up as a back up when I scheduled the in park lodgings )
07-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
thanks

YNP opens reservations for in park lodging and activities for the next year a year ahead

so for the Summer 2022, the reservation system opened earlier this summer

for Summer 2023, the system will open up in late may or early june 2022

they fill up fast

so each year, " those in the know " place their reservations for staying in the park as well as for park activities asap

funny thing about the system - you are charged for the first night only and can cancel without charge if you do so 30 days or more before your arrival date

so as people cancel out, openings can occur

I was able to schedule what we needed in October of 2020 but

then found out in February of 2021 that due to covid 19 protocols our reservations were cancelled or cut back and all but one park sponsored tour cancelled

so currently we are only staying one night in the park with one park sponsored tour planned and will have to drive through the park in the dark to make the early morning tour

we have other activities planned and we have rooms in Gardiner Montana ( I had set those up as a back up when I scheduled the in park lodgings )
Thats great info.. thanks!
07-23-2021, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the time is starting to approach for my wife and I to travel to Yellowstone National Park in mid September to celebrate our 30th Anniversary [ which is actually 09/07/21 ]
I'd be guided by Ansel Adams on this, and take an 8×10 view camera and a mule.

07-24-2021, 02:12 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
advice and commentary sought
Take it all... engage a Sherpa.

Thus you're also helping the economy by creating employment opportunities... probably able to claim tax breaks or funding/grants from US Government too.
07-24-2021, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just got good news about our trip

last October I planned out the trip and arranged lodging and activities at YNP

then this spring I found out that most of what I had planned was cancelled due to covid protocols:

- reservations at the Old House section of the Old Faithful Inn

- park sponsored tours

I scrambled and got a room at Lake Yellowstone because we needed to be at Old Faithful for the Picture Perfect Photo Safari early morning tour

yesterday I sent an email to find out status

the response has arrived turns out that my original reservations still stood

however only the Picture Perfect Photo Safari is still going,

QuoteQuote:
PICTURE PERFECT PHOTO SAFARI
Morning Tour
From early morning bison and elk whose breath condenses on the cool air, to the sun shining through the vapor clouds above thermal streams, to the rainbow only visible for a few minutes each day, and only from a single vantage point, in the mist of the Lower Falls of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Yellowstone National Park is a paradise for shutterbugs. Your host, a driver-guide who is also a professional photographer, will tailor the tour to the interests, skill levels, and equipment of the group to create a day of memorable photographs for all. They’ll also lead the group out in search of wildlife (as we’re looking for genuinely wild animals, there are no guarantees of course!).

One of our safaris originates from Old Faithful, and takes in thermal areas and wildlife north of Old Faithful Village; the other departs Lake Yellowstone Hotel to visit wildlife-rich Hayden Valley, north shore of Lake Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. For both, the goal of this five-hour tour is intriguing photographic opportunities coupled with (for those who’d like it) instruction on how to better use your camera means a limited number of in-depth stops will be the order of the day. For a fantastic outing for you and your camera, sign up for the Picture Perfect Photo Safari!
Yellowstone Picture Perfect Photo Safari Tour

so I have cancelled some rooms but looks like we are set

the Old Faithful Inn will be where we will be staying in the park and ranging out into the park from there

QuoteQuote:
As a national historic landmark, Old Faithful Inn is the most requested lodging facility in the park. Built in 1903-1904 with local logs and stone, the Inn is considered the largest log structure in the world. The towering lobby features a massive stone fireplace and a hand-crafted clock made of copper, wood and wrought iron serving as focal points.
Old Faithful Inn | Yellowstone National Park Lodges

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-24-2021 at 12:15 PM.
07-24-2021, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't take so much that you forget what you have. Unless you are going to be sitting in one place waiting for something to happen, you'll be moving about and will either need a wide angle to take in some amazing panoramic scene, or a long telephoto to captured some animal within that vista. In the first case, the landsacape isn't going anywhere, use can use what you have, or change lenses, but in the latter example, you need to capture the critter before it runs off, so have the right combo ready for that case.
07-24-2021, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Don't take so much that you forget what you have. Unless you are going to be sitting in one place waiting for something to happen, you'll be moving about and will either need a wide angle to take in some amazing panoramic scene, or a long telephoto to captured some animal within that vista. In the first case, the landsacape isn't going anywhere, use can use what you have, or change lenses, but in the latter example, you need to capture the critter before it runs off, so have the right combo ready for that case.
good thoughts

my years of the " landscape " moving are long gone

[ I don't drink that much any more ]
07-26-2021, 06:34 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
so final plans have been set

roughly 12 hours a day of " daylight " while we are there

and that doesn't count the " twilight " times

leave Topeka KS the afternoon of Sept 10

arrive in Jackson Wyoming in the afternoon of Sept 12, spend the night

do Gran Tetons NP with guide on Sept 13

after that go through YNP and spend the night outside YNP at Gardiner Montana

on Sept 14 tour YNP with guide, return to Gardiner and then go back into YNP and spend night at the Old House Section of the Old Faithful Inn

on Sept 15 do the Picture Perfect Photo Safari from the Old Faithful Snow Lodge in the morning and exploring YNP the rest of the day

return to spend night at the Old House Section of the Old Faithful Inn

Spend Sept 16 exploring YNP on our own and end up back outside YNP in Gardiner Montana the night of the 16th

tour YNP with guide on the Sept 17 and leave from Gardiner on the 18th for trip home

____________________________________________________________________________________-

As far as I know the two lane black top road system in YNP is opened excepted as noted below:

Construction at the YNP northern entrance at Gardiner

road from Mammoth south to Madison open

Road from Mammoth southeast to Roosevelt open

Road to Northeast Entrance open

no direct route between the " wildlife " areas of Hayden Valley [ north south road across the valley ] and Lamar Valley [ east west road along the valley ] due to the most direct route - between Tower and Roosevelt - closed 100 % for construction

only route from the central part of YNP to the North is the Madison to Mammoth Road so traffic could be really heavy on that route

construction in and out of Old Faithful area on bridge

other than that, Route north from there to Madison open

once at Madison, routes to West Yellowstone, Mammoth and Canyon open

if heading South from Old Faithful, Route to Grant Village open

Route south from Grant Village to South entrance open

Route North from Grant Village to Lake and Southeast Entrance open

Route from the western entrance at West Yellowstone Montana across to Canyon open

Route south from Canyon to South entrance and Southeast Entrance open
07-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

will not be attempting " back country " trips
Well, so much for my suggestion. And the fact you'll only be at GTNP for the day of arrival and be on a guided tour. But just in case plans change....A few miles north of the fish hatchery near Jackson is a road that will take you east up into the Gros Ventre Mountains. An area many visitors miss out on. Your guide can point out the Sleeping Indian from the airport. Sheep Mountain is its real name. It's in the Gros Ventres. Lots of spots up there offer great views of the Tetons and like most of the area always a chance to see deer, elk, bear, coyotes, moose etc. I spent many years hunting and fishing up there back in the 70's and 80's. Sounds like you won't have the time to explore this trip but maybe next time.
07-26-2021, 07:55 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Well, so much for my suggestion. And the fact you'll only be at GTNP for the day of arrival and be on a guided tour. But just in case plans change....A few miles north of the fish hatchery near Jackson is a road that will take you east up into the Gros Ventre Mountains. An area many visitors miss out on. Your guide can point out the Sleeping Indian from the airport. Sheep Mountain is its real name. It's in the Gros Ventres. Lots of spots up there offer great views of the Tetons and like most of the area always a chance to see deer, elk, bear, coyotes, moose etc. I spent many years hunting and fishing up there back in the 70's and 80's. Sounds like you won't have the time to explore this trip but maybe next time.
thanks for the comment

your suggestion ??

don't see an earlier comment by you

may have time on the 12th to do as you suggest

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-26-2021 at 08:01 AM.
07-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My suggestion of driving into the Gros Ventres was upended by your original post before I even mentioned it. Driving up there would be a trip off the beaten path and one I would file under "attempting back country trips." It's a beautiful drive though.