Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2021, 08:06 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
My suggestion of driving into the Gros Ventres was upended by your original post before I even mentioned it. Driving up there would be a trip off the beaten path and one I would file under "attempting back country trips." It's a beautiful drive though.
ok

" back country trips " to me is out hiking, not taking the less traveled road

I am not as dumb as I look and I know better than to try something like that

Topeka is roughly 950 feet above sea level

so there is the elevation issue

as well as my physical shape and my age 64

can you send me a pm please with more info on the side trip you are recommending please

07-27-2021, 09:49 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I did this exact trip this past August and enjoyed it immensely. We concentrated more in the northern and central sections of Yellowstone having seen most of the major southern attractions in 2017. Also we did a cursory drive-through of Grand Teton NP since we covered that well also in 2017.

I brought my K-3 II with the 18-135 WR, the 55-300 PLM (which I rarely used), and the 10-17 ED Fisheye (and I'm glad I did).

Also along was my trusty P6x7 with the 55/4 6x7 and the 35/4.5 6x7 Fisheye-Tak (and some 320TXP and Velvia 100).

It turned out to be the perfect combination for me. Here's my "greatest hits" trip album.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Cheers, Allan
07-27-2021, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
K3iii + 150-450 as wildlife grab and shoot ready camera. 1.4x ready for any very far off opportunities that may occur.

Practical choice for camera 2: K3ii with 16-85 as camera 2 in the car. 10-20 as a wider landscape lens for the special times you need to go wider. (Both lenses will also work as intended on the k3iii as a bonus).

Alternate camera two: k1ii with your fa31 for any special Landscapes that need that special lens. Shoot the k1ii in crop mode in the car with the 16-85 attached. Use the k3iii with the 10-20 alongside the k1ii for Landscapes. Perhaps rent the Laowa 12mm f2.8 to use on the k1ii for ff ultrawide and possible Astro.

Nostalgia option: bring the LX to use the sigma 24 / fa 31 / 50 f1.2 / 135 f2.8 for a few shots. Take just one roll of film, make the shots count.

I am not suggesting the da 300 as the 150-450 covers that option very well. The 55-300 is a good backup lens, that might make sense to take. The 100 macro is another possible lens, for me I’d miss it but pack a Raynox I think.
I like your pick Uncle.

I've been to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons twice, early 80's & late 90's, with the Big Fire happening between trips. The first trip I packed my first SLR a Petri using M42 lens, loved the camera but wanted something better. I discovered MUCH better optics with my Pentax Super Program, which went the second trip. KA 28 f/2.8, KA 50 f/1.7, and KA 70-210 f/4, and a 2X TC. Shot Ektachrome both trips. I seem to recall getting use out of all three lens and occasionally the TC if I had to have have the extra reach.

We put 4500 miles on the minivan that second trip, adding Jackson Hole and Rocky Mountain NP to our stays and a whistle-stop visit to Teddy Roosevelt NP on our way west.
07-27-2021, 08:41 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
I just got back from a trip to the Big Horns and Red Lodge/Beartooth pass (outskirts of YNP), a few days in both places. Didn't go into a National Park though.

It didn't seem unusually busy to me ... more Americans are out, but still hard for most foreign tourists to get here. Mostly limited by number of campsites available, and that hasn't changed. They definitely do get reserved early, but that's not a new thing. As mentioned, there are cancellations. Also, national forests have different camping rules, but those are on roads that are often "minimally maintained".

One other item that I haven't seen mentioned here ... know your animals before you go. We stopped for some pictures and a guy comes around the bend in a side-by-side (ATV). He stops and helpfully tells us there are some moose around the curve. We're on a treeless slope so that surprises us, but we thank him, and soon we're on our way. Get around the curve, and all we see is a big herd of cattle Maybe he meant some moo's?

If you want to identify plants, PictureThis is a good app, but you need cell phone service, not available in the cool places (you can take the pictures and it will store them until you get data service). There's a similar app for bird songs, not sure about animal photos.

Last edited by bogwalker; 07-27-2021 at 08:48 PM.
07-27-2021, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a little late to the party here, but since I took a trip to Yellowstone/Tetons for the first time a few years ago I can at least offer you some data on what I used. First, a couple details about the trip: we spent 4 days in Yellowstone (tent camping at one of the campgrounds in the park) and only one day in the Tetons. Focus of this trip was more the landscape than the wildlife. Camera was a K30, lenses I used were:

DA 10-17 Fisheye
DA 15mm Ltd
DA 17-70
DA 35 f/2.4
DA 50-200 WR
DA 55-300
DFA 100mm macro
FA 135mm
Sigma 150-500

I took just under 1500 pictures in the time we were there, and the clear winner in number of pictures taken was the lowly 17-70 at over 80%. Followed closely by the DA 15mm at 7.5%, the 55-300 at just under 7%, and the fisheye at 2%.

Looking back, I'm sure if I'd had the 18-135 at the time I would have used it the most, there were certainly times I wanted a bit of extra reach. If I owned the 16-85 I'm sure I would have used it instead of the 17-70 for the extra reach on both ends. There were just so many wonderful opportunities for photos that I didn't switch lenses nearly as often as I thought I would. I switched to the Mammoth fisheye for views of the terraces, which is the main reason it came in so high. I'm sure if we'd spent more time chasing wildlife the 55-300 and 150-500 would have seen considerably more use.

But that's just my experience. I'm sure no matter which lenses you take and end up using you'll get some lovely images. Enjoy the trip!

Last edited by ashurbanipal; 07-29-2021 at 09:09 PM. Reason: clarify lens used
07-27-2021, 11:26 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
Camera was a K30, lenses I used were:

DA 10-17 Fisheye
DA 15mm Ltd
DA 17-70
DA 35 f/2.4
DA 50-200 WR
DA 55-300
DFA 100mm macro
FA 135mm
Sigma 150-500

I took just under 1500 pictures in the time we were there, and the clear winner in number of pictures taken was the lowly 17-70 at over 80%. Followed closely by the DA 15mm at 7.5%, the 55-300 at just under 7%, and the fisheye at 2%.

Looking back, I'm sure if I'd had the 18-135 at the time I would have used it the most, there were certainly times I wanted a bit of extra reach. If I owned the 16-85 I'm sure I would have used it instead of the 17-70 for the extra reach on both ends. There were just so many wonderful opportunities for photos that I didn't switch lenses nearly as often as I thought I would. I switched to the Mammoth for views of the terraces, which is the main reason it came in so high. I'm sure if we'd spent more time chasing wildlife the 55-300 and 150-500 would have seen considerably more use
The DA 17-70 is a great lens. My copy is now owned by a niece. I always found that lens to have excellent iq. I am confused by the remark, “the mammoth”.
07-28-2021, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for all the comments and suggestions, please keep them coming

QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
... know your animals before you go. We stopped for some pictures and a guy comes around the bend in a side-by-side (ATV). He stops and helpfully tells us there are some moose around the curve. We're on a treeless slope so that surprises us, but we thank him, and soon we're on our way. Get around the curve, and all we see is a big herd of cattle Maybe he meant some moo's?. . .
where I grew up, those critters were some time called " rectangular deer "

since some out of town hunters seemed to think there was a hunting season on them

@cobbu2

nice photos in the flickr.com album I recommend that folks take a look

if any one is curious, you can find some in my albums at flickr.com

from 2018

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pre69cubfan/albums/72157695404497531

from 2017

Reflections from a Yellowstone National Park Lake | Flickr

Old Faithful Geyser | Flickr

Dusky Grouse | Flickr

Bears found at Yellowstone | Flickr

cut throat trout yellowstone | Flickr

Yellowstone Bison (Buffalo) | Flickr

Yellowstone Wolf | Flickr

Yellowstone Animals | Flickr

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-28-2021 at 02:56 AM.
07-28-2021, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The DA 17-70 is a great lens. My copy is now owned by a niece. I always found that lens to have excellent iq. I am confused by the remark, “the mammoth”.
Whoops, I switched to the fisheye for views of the terraces at Mammoth.
08-15-2021, 07:01 AM   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
our trip is getting closer

we all know how accurate weather forecasting is

especially " long range "

QuoteQuote:
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming Long Range Weather Forecast
Helping You Avoid Bad Weather. 30 days and beyond.
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming September 2021 Weather Forecast | WeatherTAB

________________________________________________-

updated thoughts about what to take

thank you for your time, past and future comments

usual plan while driving:

K 3 III with the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW attached

and another camera body will have the HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR

[ remember that we are driving our GMC Acadia Denali and will have plenty of room and thus the urge to " take everything but the kitchen sink " ]

Pentax Cameras
K-1 II, K-3 III, K-3 II, K10D, Pentax LX

will carry b/w and color film

possible Lenses to haul

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM *

HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR *

Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II F2.8

SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited ( MIJ )

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited ( MIJ )

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2

SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE *

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW *

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited 49 F ( MIJ )

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW *

SMC DA * 300mm F4 ED (IF ) SDM *

HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter

* no A ring so cannot be used on the LX

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-15-2021 at 07:52 AM.
08-15-2021, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not how much room do you have to take everything, it's how much time do you intend to devote to decide on which gear to use versus how much time do you intend to devote on considering a scene and composing an image worth looking at after you've taken it?

This trade-off is one reason I prefer to travel with no more than 3 lenses, and often only two. I know the type of photos I like to take, no matter where I am, and I bring the lenses which best serve making those photos. In my case, I use a DA 18-135 WR, and a DA 40mm XS.
08-15-2021, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
good points

chances are most photos will be with the DA 16-85 and D FA 150-450

the others will be available if we are in our vehicle and stopped

not planning on hauling all those cameras and lenses around outside of the vehicle
08-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #42
Forum Member

Make sure to cover and secure everything you take and most importantly have a good time.
08-17-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #43
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sort of repetitious but here goes.

I have been to YNP 9 times starting at the age of 12.

Cameras taken
Kodak Brownie - one roll of film - 6 images (I dare any of you to take only 6 images - two of my images were of the Tetons - so four in the park)
Fujica ST-801, ST-901 AZ-1 (shot Kodachrome 64 and 25, High Speed Ektachrome (ASA 160) and Ektachrome IR) on another trip shot Fujichrome
Lenses on that trip - Fujinon EBC 28mm, Fujinon EBC 55mm, Fujinon EBC 135mm and Vivitar 300mm.
Pentax SF-1 - color print film (wife hates slides)
Lens - Tokina 28-70mm
Pentax K-20D
Lenses smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL, smc PENTAX-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
Pentax K-3II
Lenses Bower 8mm f3.5 Ultra-Wide, smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM, smc PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM, Vivitar 300mm f5.6 (same lens as above, it is a TX mount. I have Fujica M42 and Pentax K adaptors)

Never used a tripod or cable release. No Polarizing filters although I have them available, no cable releases although I have them. The only filters I used were skylight (1A), UV haze and a #12 Yellow (minus blue) for use with Ektachrome IR.

Through out the years of taking images there, I have mostly used the 18 to 50mm focal lengths. The biggest issue I have discovered is taking too much crap with me. If you have everything you own with you, you spend more time swapping out stuff instead of 1) Taking well thought out images. 2) Enjoying the park.
Keep it simple - you will enjoy it more.

I most likely missed a trip or two with the *istDs or K10. So it goes.
08-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you aslyfox for starting this thread and thanks to all who have already offered up gear and on site suggestions. I will also be visiting Yellowstone NP and Grand Tetons NP this fall, arriving 9/4 and departing 9/11. We'll be staying in West Yellowstone and venturing out from there each day.

We have reserved a guide for the first full day of what we are referring to as the "animal safari" since that is what this particular guide is noted for. After that we will be loosely following an itinerary that we all have been working on for weeks. By "we all" I mean my wife, my adult daughter and a grand daughter and her husband who are flying in from LA to meet us there.
Since we are flying there as well I am limited as far as what gear I can bring. As it stands right now I am taking three bodies: the K-3 III, K-3 and the K-1 II. As far as lenses go I am thinking the DFA 150-450, DA* 60-250, FA 31 Ltd, DA 15 Ltd, DFA 100 WR Macro, and the SigmaDC 8-16 HSM and/or the DA 10-17 Fisheye. I really only want to bring one of the wide angle zooms so maybe someone can advise me on which one would be the better choice.

I will also have the Ricoh GR III, with the wide angle converter,holstered on my hip. I am curious to see what it can produce in the wide open spaces.

Last edited by chuck_c; 08-17-2021 at 01:08 PM.
08-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
. . . As it stands right now I am taking three bodies: the K-3 III, K-3 and the K-1 II. As far as lenses go I am thinking the DFA 150-450, DA* 60-250, FA 31 Ltd, DA 15 Ltd, DFA 100 WR Macro, and the SigmaDC 8-16 HSM and/or the DA 10-17 Fisheye. I really only want to bring one of the wide angle zooms so maybe someone can advise me on which one would be the better choice.

I will also have the Ricoh GR III, with the wide angle converter,holstered on my hip. I am curious to see what it can produce in the wide open spaces.
have you been to Yellowstone before ?

hiring a guide is a good idea to get an idea of what is going on at the park so you know what to look for on your own

we have done that each time we have gone

what type of vehicle are you renting ? I recommend an SUV

what type of pass will you have ?

Entrance Passes (U.S. National Park Service)

you don't want to pay each time you go into the park

make sure you check out the information available on the web and elsewhere about Yellowstone and how to get around

you might want to take a look at this book

QuoteQuote:
Yellowstone And Grand Teton National Parks Road Guide

Description
If you're looking for a sure-fire way to get the most out of your upcoming visit to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, then this National Geographic road guide is essential.

Scenic locations of all kind are marked on the detailed maps and elaborated on, so while you're traveling and sightseeing you're obtaining a detailed background of the region.

The road guide points out the best fishing locations, where to find wildlife, the human history of the region, and of course, the location of famous landmarks like Old Faithful.

Product Details

9 1/4'' x 4 1/8''

Soft cover
ISBN 978-1-4262-0597-2
personally I don't use a fish eye so that is the one I would leave at home

which wide angle is similar to the Ricoh ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-17-2021 at 03:24 PM.