Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as expected, my rental 20-40mm zoom limited arrived early from LensRental.com, I just picked it up from my local Fed EX

well packed with a protective oversized " LensRental " plastic case in which the lens, enclosed in "LensRental " waist pack, is located, there is a XS-prodigitalB+W filter screwed into the back of the len's small hood.

original caps front and rear

no pouch

I cannot remove the filter - cross threaded perhaps - one call to LensRental and they are shipping me rush another set up and I will send this one back
JJC filter wrenches are available on Amazon. I grabbed two sets. One stays with my dad. They are lightweight and lifesavers.

3 Packs Camera Lens Filter Wrench Kit, CPL UV ND Filter Removal Wrench Tool Set, Fit 37mm-52mm 55mm-72mm 77mm-95mm Lens Thread for Canon Nikon Sony Fujifilm Olympus Panasonic and Other Camera

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDGSFJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8DZN9WGSX7SVY0R8182B

09-08-2021, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #62
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
JJC filter wrenches are available on Amazon. I grabbed two sets. One stays with my dad. They are lightweight and lifesavers.

3 Packs Camera Lens Filter Wrench Kit, CPL UV ND Filter Removal Wrench Tool Set, Fit 37mm-52mm 55mm-72mm 77mm-95mm Lens Thread for Canon Nikon Sony Fujifilm Olympus Panasonic and Other Camera

amazon.com : 3 Packs Camera Lens Filter Wrench Kit, CPL UV ND Filter Removal Wrench Tool Set, Fit 37mm-52mm 55mm-72mm 77mm-95mm Lens Thread for Canon Nikon Sony Fujifilm Olympus Panasonic and Other Camera : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Yeah

I have something similar but since this is a rental it was easier to have them send another and not risk damage

have received the replacement and this time the filter can be removed

the original rental has been sent back

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-09-2021 at 05:19 AM.
09-09-2021, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello there -- I recently returned from our 2 week vacation in GTNP and YNP and took over 2500 shots that I need to review/edit, probably will take me a while to get through! A few quick thoughts I have based on my experiences:

1. I brought one body, KP, and three lenses -- DA 16-85, DA 55-300 PLM, and Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6. The 16-85 and 55-300 were used daily, and 10-20 almost never used. I also had a compact Panasonic LX10 (1 inch sensor) camera that I used occasionally when carrying around my DSLR equipment was a pain. And in a pinch, I used my iphone 11 camera. The lesson for me is that I shouldn't have bothered bringing my Sigma 10-20 ultrawide lens. The 16mm end of my 16-85 was wide enough for most shots, and if not, I used the panorama shot on my iphone, or the "ultrawide" lens on my iphone.
2. Despite the additional baggage it would have involved, I should have brought my K-5 IIS body as well, so that I wouldn't have had to change lenses. Would have been great to have KP + 55-300 PLM and K-5 IIS + 16-85, ready to go at a moment's notice in the car, whenever I spotted wildlife or scenery and could quickly pull into a turnoff spot. Instead, I found myself often needing to change from 16-85 to the telephoto zoom, and sometimes I would miss the moose or elk that just ran across the road in front of me!
3. The 16-85 was a real workhorse and I was very pleased with its performance on this trip! Also, the 55-300 PLM got me very close to the many bison and elk I saw, and I even saw a black bear mom and her two cubs on the side of the road. The only time I felt the 55-300 PLM was not enough reach (and I don't own a HD 1.4x converter, sadly), was when we spotted a coyote in the distance. It would have been awesome to get a good picture of that!
4. I'm not a macro shooter and so I didn't bring my DA 35 macro or DFA 100 WR. No regrets there.
5. I also did not do any low light or indoor shooting on this trip. So no need for larger aperture lenses.
6. The national park service food for meals is terrible, particularly at Canyon Village in YNP. Seriously. It was never all that good before the pandemic, but now, there are so few servers, and the meal choices are down to just two options in many places. And there was a long line to get the food. We ended up buying bread and lunch meat (all overpriced) inside a general store, and making picnic lunches to eat after morning hikes. Food was better in GTNP because we ate in the town of Jackson. And when we were staying in Mammoth, we drove up to Gardiner, Montana, to eat in real restaurants.
7. The smoke/haze was a disappointment for GTNP though we had a few good days where we could see the mountains pretty well. If you're going to do much hiking, be sure to get to the trailhead parking lots early (by 9 am at latest) for the popular locations like the Jenny Lake loop. Signal mountain was a big bust for us due to the haze -- could barely see the valley, so I wish we hadn't made the drive up there. String Lake and Taggart Lake were my favorites in GTNP.
8. Rent bear spray and return at a Sinclair gas station. Seems better to me than buying bear spray and having to throw it away afterwards.

Have fun!!
-Brian
09-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #64
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Hello there -- I recently returned from our 2 week vacation in GTNP and YNP and took over 2500 shots that I need to review/edit, probably will take me a while to get through! A few quick thoughts I have based on my experiences:

1. I brought one body, KP, and three lenses -- DA 16-85, DA 55-300 PLM, and Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6. The 16-85 and 55-300 were used daily, and 10-20 almost never used. I also had a compact Panasonic LX10 (1 inch sensor) camera that I used occasionally when carrying around my DSLR equipment was a pain. And in a pinch, I used my iphone 11 camera. The lesson for me is that I shouldn't have bothered bringing my Sigma 10-20 ultrawide lens. The 16mm end of my 16-85 was wide enough for most shots, and if not, I used the panorama shot on my iphone, or the "ultrawide" lens on my iphone.
2. Despite the additional baggage it would have involved, I should have brought my K-5 IIS body as well, so that I wouldn't have had to change lenses. Would have been great to have KP + 55-300 PLM and K-5 IIS + 16-85, ready to go at a moment's notice in the car, whenever I spotted wildlife or scenery and could quickly pull into a turnoff spot. Instead, I found myself often needing to change from 16-85 to the telephoto zoom, and sometimes I would miss the moose or elk that just ran across the road in front of me!
3. The 16-85 was a real workhorse and I was very pleased with its performance on this trip! Also, the 55-300 PLM got me very close to the many bison and elk I saw, and I even saw a black bear mom and her two cubs on the side of the road. The only time I felt the 55-300 PLM was not enough reach (and I don't own a HD 1.4x converter, sadly), was when we spotted a coyote in the distance. It would have been awesome to get a good picture of that!
4. I'm not a macro shooter and so I didn't bring my DA 35 macro or DFA 100 WR. No regrets there.
5. I also did not do any low light or indoor shooting on this trip. So no need for larger aperture lenses.
6. The national park service food for meals is terrible, particularly at Canyon Village in YNP. Seriously. It was never all that good before the pandemic, but now, there are so few servers, and the meal choices are down to just two options in many places. And there was a long line to get the food. We ended up buying bread and lunch meat (all overpriced) inside a general store, and making picnic lunches to eat after morning hikes. Food was better in GTNP because we ate in the town of Jackson. And when we were staying in Mammoth, we drove up to Gardiner, Montana, to eat in real restaurants.
7. The smoke/haze was a disappointment for GTNP though we had a few good days where we could see the mountains pretty well. If you're going to do much hiking, be sure to get to the trailhead parking lots early (by 9 am at latest) for the popular locations like the Jenny Lake loop. Signal mountain was a big bust for us due to the haze -- could barely see the valley, so I wish we hadn't made the drive up there. String Lake and Taggart Lake were my favorites in GTNP.
8. Rent bear spray and return at a Sinclair gas station. Seems better to me than buying bear spray and having to throw it away afterwards.

Have fun!!
-Brian
Great report

Yes while driving I always keep a telephoto on one camera and a wide angle on another just in case the situation you described happens

And yes it does

bought bear spray since I wasn't sure if it would be available for rent next week

Yes food service in YNP has been changed b/c of covid

09-09-2021, 07:44 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bought bear spray since I wasn't sure if it would be available for rent next week
We flew to Jackson and flew back from Bozeman, so we knew we couldn't bring the bear spray on the plane. So rental made the most sense for us.

I think you'll be staying in Gardiner for part of this trip. Strongly recommend two restaurants there -- Yellowstone Pizza Company and Wonderland Cafe.

Also, our server at the Yellowstone Pizza Company recommended taking a gravel road (Old Gardiner Road) between Gardiner and Mammoth, which was the original stagecoach roads between those locations back in the day. We took them right before sunset and saw some awesome wildlife -- herd of elk, and some pronghorns. Very rough drive but your SUV should have no problem with them!
09-09-2021, 07:46 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How far away were the ones you did get and were they shout from inside the car or outside?
09-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #67
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We flew to Jackson and flew back from Bozeman, so we knew we couldn't bring the bear spray on the plane. So rental made the most sense for us.

I think you'll be staying in Gardiner for part of this trip. Strongly recommend two restaurants there -- Yellowstone Pizza Company and Wonderland Cafe.

Also, our server at the Yellowstone Pizza Company recommended taking a gravel road (Old Gardiner Road) between Gardiner and Mammoth, which was the original stagecoach roads between those locations back in the day. We took them right before sunset and saw some awesome wildlife -- herd of elk, and some pronghorns. Very rough drive but your SUV should have no problem with them!
yes we are

thanks for the recommendations

That a new route

found it

QuoteQuote:
This is a dirt and gravel road that begins just behind the Mammoth Hot Springs hotel and ends at the park’s north entrance. This is a one way auto road but bicycles are allowed to travel in both directions. Use caution and look for automobiles and and be aware of steep sections with winding curves. Mountain bikes are recommended. The distance is 5 mi. (8 km) one way. Traveling north is mostly all a steep downhill and riding south mostly all steep uphill. The elevation gain riding south is 1,079’ (328 M).

Alerts: Be alert for black bears, grizzly bears, elk, bison, and autos on the roadway. Consider riding with bear spray, have it accessible, and know how to use it. Federal regulations require you to stay at least 100 yards (91 m) away from bears and wolves, and at least 25 yards (23 m) away from bison and all other wild animals.
https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/the-old-gardiner-road-bike-trail.htm

" one way " north or south ??

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-09-2021 at 03:38 PM.
09-09-2021, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

" one way " north or south ??
north. start in Mammoth, end up near the roosevelt arch in gardiner.

How far away were the ones you did get and were they shout from inside the car or outside?
I was driving, so I stopped the car and hopped out to take most shots. There were times when I shot from inside the car, either on my side or leaning over my wife in the passenger seat. But I preferred to get out of the car, as long as I was still a safe distance from wildlife. Some wildlife was super close to the car (especially those that crossed right in front) so the 55-300 was actually too tight and I used 16-85 instead. But for others, like bison that were grazing farther away, the 200-300mm range worked well. It's when you need to get coyote or wolf pictures that I wished I had a much farther reach -- those are smaller creatures obviously and don't get nearly as close to the roadside.

If you're looking for birds, like bald eagles, having greater telephoto is essential. I got some decent shots of bald eagles in the trees but needed to use the 300mm maximum end.
09-09-2021, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would expect the bear/wolf shots to also challenge the 55-300 range since 100 yards is the required stand off distance. The other animals only have a 25 yard stand off so much easier to capture.

This is great news and I look forward to seeing your photos. This helps me thinking/planning for a future trip there. I got overly concerned with extreme telephoto and ultra wide angle. To be fair the ultra wide angle was primarily due to a desire to get some landscape Astro shots of the Milky Way against the landscape. I was mainly looking at a single prime to extend my kit.

How did the sensor perform? Are you pleased with the shots? It sounds like the KP was up to the task.
09-09-2021, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #70
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would expect the bear/wolf shots to also challenge the 55-300 range since 100 yards is the required stand off distance. The other animals only have a 25 yard stand off so much easier to capture.

This is great news and I look forward to seeing your photos. This helps me thinking/planning for a future trip there. I got overly concerned with extreme telephoto and ultra wide angle. To be fair the ultra wide angle was primarily due to a desire to get some landscape Astro shots of the Milky Way against the landscape. I was mainly looking at a single prime to extend my kit.

How did the sensor perform? Are you pleased with the shots? It sounds like the KP was up to the task.
I'm hauling the Sigma 10-20 for two reasons

1 I'm driving, not flying

2 I am hoping for wide landscape but the smoke/haze is worrying

in the past the 16-25 was plenty wide enough for close up wildlife
09-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very quick review of my shots have made me very happy, but I need some time to really go through all them. my KP was outstanding, as was the speed of focusing of the PLM motor for the 55-300. And sadly we didn't see any grizzly bears, but the black bears were fairly close (though the 300mm end could only get entire body shots, and certainly no close up of faces). If I had to do this trip over again, I would have bought or rented the teleconverter. I'm not a professional and was traveling with my family (with two small kids), so I did not bring a tripod and shot everything handheld -- but I think the KP's excellent shake reduction system helped a lot.

---------- Post added 09-09-21 at 11:29 AM ----------

I'm hauling the Sigma 10-20 for two reasons

1 I'm driving, not flying
If I were driving, I definitely would have had no problems taking the ultrawide lenses. Actually, wished I had taken my DA 10-17 fisheye for some fun shots of the hotsprings and thermal pools. But I was flying with my family so space/weight in my luggage was definitely a consideration. And did long hikes so I didn't want to take more than one lens with me in my lightweight backpack.
09-09-2021, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #72
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . . If I had to do this trip over again, I would have bought or rented the teleconverter. I'm not a professional and was traveling with my family (with two small kids), so I did not bring a tripod and shot everything handheld -- so the KP's excellent shake reduction system helped a lot. . . .

If I were driving, I definitely would have had no problems taking the ultrawide lenses. Actually, wished I had taken my DA 10-17 fisheye for some fun shots of the hotsprings and thermal pools. But I was flying with my family so space was definitely a consideration. And did long hikes so I didn't want to take more than one lens with me in my lightweight backpack.
not a hiker

but won't be hauling everything when out of the vehicle

I would recommend considering renting the D FA 150-450mm

the teleconverter will cost you light with the PLM

or consider renting the converter and the D FA

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
an issue has arisen, at least in my small mind, that it might be helpful for members to know what businesses reliably offer rental of cameras, lenses and other gear

I suggest that we all help each other by listing such companies in this thread and let others know of our actual experiences with such businesses.

I knew of two and have recently learned of a third all available to folks in the US. I am sure that other companies might exist else where as well.

the only one I have used is LensRentals.com

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more . . .
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

[ sign up and get coupons ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-09-2021 at 11:17 AM.
09-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very quick review of my shots have made me very happy, but I need some time to really go through all them. my KP was outstanding, as was the speed of focusing of the PLM motor for the 55-300. And sadly we didn't see any grizzly bears, but the black bears were fairly close (though the 300mm end could only get entire body shots, and certainly no close up of faces). If I had to do this trip over again, I would have bought or rented the teleconverter. I'm not a professional and was traveling with my family (with two small kids), so I did not bring a tripod and shot everything handheld -- but I think the KP's excellent shake reduction system helped a lot.

---------- Post added 09-09-21 at 11:29 AM ----------

If I were driving, I definitely would have had no problems taking the ultrawide lenses. Actually, wished I had taken my DA 10-17 fisheye for some fun shots of the hotsprings and thermal pools. But I was flying with my family so space/weight in my luggage was definitely a consideration. And did long hikes so I didn't want to take more than one lens with me in my lightweight backpack.

How often were you at 16-17mm vs 18+. My 18-135 is my go to wide to long zoom - I don’t own the 16-85. For me that puts more pressure on the wide end - but taking my 12-24 seems to fail on the Astro side and seems rather large compared to perhaps renting a 16-85. Next year’s decisions… I’m not sure if I’d miss the long end more at that point. Probably not if I had a long zoom along as well.

I do hike but my wife is very nervous about bears and her ability to walk on uneven surfaces has degraded over the years. So most hiking would need to be shorter and less backwoods- no camping also. Camping where bears aren’t abundant isn’t impossible with her but limited. My camping skills are quite rusty as well. The point of which is that I’ll mostly be shooting out of the car. Any rented gear would be collected in Montana as I have a friend in Butte.
09-09-2021, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #74
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@seventysixersfan

@UncleVanya

more information on the one way road north from Mammoth Springs to Gardiner
QuoteQuote:

Yellowstone National Park has more than 300 miles of paved (and often crowded) roads, but a lesser-known dirt road between Mammoth Hot Springs, Wyo. and Gardiner, Mont. offers visitors a chance to follow a historic stagecoach route out of the park.

The Old Gardiner Road is a 5-mile stretch of dirt road that roughly parallels the paved road from Mammoth to Gardiner, but travels through the hills to the west of the main road, rather than along the Gardner River as it flows out of Yellowstone.

The Old Gardiner Road is one-way only for autos, heading north out of Mammoth, although bicycling and foot traffic are allowed in both directions. Park managers typically close the non-essential road to autos during and just after wet weather, and trailers and RVs are never allowed on the Old Gardiner Road.

Originally established as an 1880s stagecoach route, the road winds through open sagebrush hillsides, affording more sweeping and dramatic views of the northernmost sections of Yellowstone Park.

During the spring and fall, motorists on the Old Gardiner Road may see elk, mule deer, bighorn sheep, bison and pronghorn antelope along the meandering route, with views of the Gallatin Range.

One of the oldest roads in Yellowstone, the Old Gardiner Road was used to ferry visitors into Mammoth from the end of the Northern Pacific Railroad, which stretched to Cinnabar, Mont. in 1883 and was extended into Gardiner in 1902. Special six-horse coaches were used for the steep haul into the park, which rises more than 1,000 feet from Gardiner to Mammoth.

Presidential ride along Old Gardiner Road
Chester A. Arthur was the first U.S. president to visit Yellowstone, traveling along the Old Gardiner Road during his 1883 trip and camping during the last night of his stay at a spot about a half-mile north of Mammoth.

Though you might be tempted to drive a bit on the wild side because you won’t meet oncoming vehicles along the one-way route, keep in mind that mountain bikers, hikers or wildlife could be around any curve. So slow down, and plan on taking at least 15 or 20 minutes to make the 5-mile trip.

The Old Gardiner Road starts directly behind the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and ends at the North Gate entrance station. Besides a panoramic view of Gardiner as you are about to exit the park, it also yields a great view of Mammoth as you climb the first hill along the route.

So the next time you’re leaving through the North Gate and have a little extra time, get off the pavement and enjoy a different trip along the Old Gardiner Road, a historic route that most Yellowstone visitors never get to experience.
Old Gardiner Road follows historic stagecoach trail out of Yellowstone Park | Yellowstone Gate

I definitely plan on checking it out while there
09-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How often were you at 16-17mm vs 18+. My 18-135 is my go to wide to long zoom - I don’t own the 16-85. For me that puts more pressure on the wide end - but taking my 12-24 seems to fail on the Astro side and seems rather large compared to perhaps renting a 16-85. Next year’s decisions… I’m not sure if I’d miss the long end more at that point. Probably not if I had a long zoom along as well.

I do hike but my wife is very nervous about bears and her ability to walk on uneven surfaces has degraded over the years. So most hiking would need to be shorter and less backwoods- no camping also. Camping where bears aren’t abundant isn’t impossible with her but limited. My camping skills are quite rusty as well. The point of which is that I’ll mostly be shooting out of the car. Any rented gear would be collected in Montana as I have a friend in Butte.
I got the 16-85 to replace my 18-135 for two reasons -- first, I got a DA 18-270 superzoom, and I really enjoy shooting at the 16-17mm wide end perspective, which I think is very noticeably wider compared to 18mm. With the 16-85mm, I don't feel like I need to carry my DA 15mm with me. I do miss the 18-135's lighter weight (which is noticeable as well) and smaller barrel size/diameter, and at times, I missed having the 86-135mm range. For this trip, since I had only one DSLR body with me, I had to change zoom lenses to my 55-300 if I knew I needed more than 85mm to get a shot. I'm sure there were times when I wouldn't have had to make that lens swap if 135mm was "good enough" of a telephoto. But I think I shot a fair amount of my landscape and wider angle shots at the 16mm end, rather than 18-20mm, perhaps in part because I knew I could always crop in post if necessary. If I still had my 18-135 (or if I took my 18-270 instead-- but did not because of lack of WR and it's not as fast in autofocusing at the telephoto end compared to the 55-300 PLM), I'm sure I would have either brought my DA 15mm, or used my Sigma 10-20mm more often.

My wife refuses to camp -- she needs a real bed and real bathroom facilities. She shuddered any time she had to use a compostable toilet or porta-potty during this trip. And my daughter was constantly worried about bears during our hikes, despite the fact that we carried bear spray and my kids deliberately made lots of noises to scare away the bears. On the heavily trafficked hiking routes with lots of people walking them, I doubt any bears would make an appearance!

---------- Post added 09-09-21 at 11:22 PM ----------

Old Gardiner Road follows historic stagecoach trail out of Yellowstone Park | Yellowstone Gate

I definitely plan on checking it out while there
It's worth it for the history alone -- I can't imagine doing it by stagecoach back in the day. But as for seeing wildlife, as you probably know from your previous visits as well as trips to other national parks, there are no guarantees, and it depends a lot on luck. Sometimes we saw amazing things when we weren't expecting/looking for it (big elk suddenly crossing the road) and other times, we waited for an hour at an overlook in Hayden Valley, hoping to catch a glimpse of a white wolf, but all we ended up seeing was a lonely bison way out in the distance.

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 09-09-2021 at 08:27 PM.