Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2021, 09:02 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I got the 16-85 to replace my 18-135 for two reasons -- first, I got a DA 18-270 superzoom, and I really enjoy shooting at the 16-17mm wide end perspective, which I think is very noticeably wider compared to 18mm. With the 16-85mm, I don't feel like I need to carry my DA 15mm with me. I do miss the 18-135's lighter weight (which is noticeable as well) and smaller barrel size/diameter, and at times, I missed having the 86-135mm range. For this trip, since I had only one DSLR body with me, I had to change zoom lenses to my 55-300 if I knew I needed more than 85mm to get a shot. I'm sure there were times when I wouldn't have had to make that lens swap if 135mm was "good enough" of a telephoto. But I think I shot a fair amount of my landscape and wider angle shots at the 16mm end, rather than 18-20mm, perhaps in part because I knew I could always crop in post if necessary. If I still had my 18-135 (or if I took my 18-270 instead-- but did not because of lack of WR and it's not as fast in autofocusing at the telephoto end compared to the 55-300 PLM), I'm sure I would have either brought my DA 15mm, or used my Sigma 10-20mm more often.
That da 15 + da 18-135 is indeed a great combination that I also use. How does the da 16-85 compare to the da 15 on flare handling (my da 15 is the smc version) and starbursts? It sounds like this was a great solution for your trip, thanks for the insight.

09-10-2021, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #77
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

[ The Highwaymen were an American country music supergroup, composed of four of country music's biggest artists who pioneered the outlaw country subgenre: Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson. ]

don't worry I won't be singing as we drive along

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. . . I do hike but my wife is very nervous about bears and her ability to walk on uneven surfaces has degraded over the years. So most hiking would need to be shorter and less backwoods- no camping also. Camping where bears aren’t abundant isn’t impossible with her but limited. My camping skills are quite rusty as well. The point of which is that I’ll mostly be shooting out of the car. Any rented gear would be collected in Montana as I have a friend in Butte.
remember that most camping/lodging inside YNP fill up fast usually within day/weeks of when opened up a year in advance

but you are only charged one night fee for the lodges until you arrive

and you can cancel without penalty if you do so more than 30 days in advance

so spots open up as the time goes by

as far as bears go

learn about bear behavior

don't get too close, especially with sow and cubs

carry bear spray and know how to use it

don't be quiet as you walk

and my advice: [ never actually had to do it tho ]

never run if approached, try to be big and be very vocal

. . . It's worth it for the history alone --. . .
I'm a " history buff " so I am so happy you brought this unknown to me route to my attention

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-10-2021 at 05:08 AM.
09-10-2021, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

How does the da 16-85 compare to the da 15 on flare handling (my da 15 is the smc version) and starbursts?
I'm not sure exactly -- I think the smc DA 15 is better at starbursts because of the older coating (I've read the HD coating lessons the effect). As for resistance to flare, in my experience, the DA 16-85 is outstanding, though the smc DA 15mm is wonderful too in that respect. So I think it may be a draw, with the exception that the DA 15 is better at starbursts, obviously more compact and all-metal, though not WR.
09-10-2021, 07:13 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure exactly -- I think the smc DA 15 is better at starbursts because of the older coating (I've read the HD coating lessons the effect). As for resistance to flare, in my experience, the DA 16-85 is outstanding, though the smc DA 15mm is wonderful too in that respect. So I think it may be a draw, with the exception that the DA 15 is better at starbursts, obviously more compact and all-metal, though not WR.
That’s very helpful. I’ll have to rent one of I see enough on Flickr that rivals the da 15. Thanks!

09-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #80
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That’s very helpful. I’ll have to rent one of I see enough on Flickr that rivals the da 15. Thanks!
[ don't tell my wife I'm posting this, I am suppose to be packing and cleaning ]

reviews of the HD vs SMC FA Limiteds -

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax FA Limited Lenses
Introduction

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax FA Limited Lenses Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

as far as the DA Limiteds

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
09-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #81
Pentaxian

specifically:

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Aberrations and Flare | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
Verdict

The HD coating controls flare and ghosting better than the SMC coating. HD coating also enhances contrast. The difference between HD and SMC is somewhat lens dependent and practically non-exisitng for the 15 mm lens.

Not related to the coating but to the shape of the aperture blades is the star burst aberration. The smc lenses are preferable for star bursts since their aperture blades are not rounded, but this comes at the expense of more flare. The exception is the smc 15mm which controls flare as well as the HD counterpart while rendering a much nicer star burst effect.
09-12-2021, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #82
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
after 1,150 miles we have arrived in our hotel in Jackson Wy

warning if you are a landscape photographer and want to arrive in a timely fashion do not, repeat do not, take this route from Casper Wy to Jackson Wy

https://windriver.org/

https://windriver.org/destinations/

you also end up with great views of the Grand Tetons as you approach the Grand Teton National Park

I had no idea it extended so far to the east

you will be stopping very very often to take photos

we resisted but it was tough

the only wild life we saw was pronghorns

we ate at a good small restaurant in Dubois called " The Lone Burrito " 106 East Ramshorn

we did stop to donate at a volunteer fire department bar b que on route

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-12-2021 at 04:13 PM.
09-12-2021, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
after 1,150 miles we have arrived in our hotel in Jackson Wy

warning if you are a landscape photographer and want to arrive in a timely fashion do not, repeat do not take this route from Casper Wy to Jackson Wy

via US-26 W

Driving Directions from Casper, WY to Jackson Hole, WY - MapQuest

you will be stopping very often to take photos

we resisted but it was tough
Yeah, next time go to Red Lodge, Montana and take Bear Tooth Pass to get to Yellowstone's North Gate, drive through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. From there it's a short drive over to Jackson Hole. If time is of the essence, wear a night mask and have somebody who has done it a few dozen times do the driving. By the way, this is also how you avoid temptation to buy the "I survived Bear Tooth Pass" T-shirt.

For the record, my spouse does not like heights. By the time we got over the pass, she had leg cramps and there was a dent in the floorboard where she was pressing on the non-existent brake on the passenger's side.
Attached Images

Last edited by JimJohnson; 09-12-2021 at 04:06 PM.
09-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #84
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Yeah, next time go to Red Lodge, Montana and take Bear Tooth Pass to get to Yellowstone's North Gate, drive through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. From there it's a short drive over to Jackson Hole. If time is of the essence, wear a night mask and have somebody who has done it a few dozen times do the driving. By the way, this is also how you avoid temptation to buy the "I survived Bear Tooth Pass" T-shirt.

For the record, my spouse does not like heights. By the time we got over the pass, she had leg cramps and there was a dent in the floorboard where she was pressing on the non-existent brake on the passenger's side.
our first trip to Yellowstone, we drove that route from Yellowstone's Northeast entrance in early June

the snow was banked high on the sides of the road [ where possible ] as we climbed over the mountain pass on the way to Red Lodge

we did a little shopping and returned to Yellowstone the same day

during my solo trip in mid may 2018, they had closed that route because of snow on top of the pass

QuoteQuote:
Time to Complete

3.0 hours

Three hours, though it's wise to allow for extra time to pull over and take pictures.

Distance

68.0 miles

The Beartooth Highway is a winding, 68-mile road with many switchbacks that gains 5,000 feet in elevation, so this distance may feel longer to some drivers.

Seasonality

Spring | Summer | Fall

The Beartooth Highway is traditionally open from Memorial Day though Columbus Day, but snow and ice can affect these dates.
Beartooth Highway - Scenic Drives

it is a great drive

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-12-2021 at 05:41 PM.
09-12-2021, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote

My wife would have laid down in the back seat sobbing or passed out.
09-12-2021, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #86
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
our route

started Friday PM in Topeka KS go Highway 75 north to Nebraska 2 then to Interstate 80 to Grand Island NE,

next day I 80 west to Interstate 25 and north to Casper WY

then west to Jackson Wy

tomorrow GTNP

then Yellowstone

staying at Old House of the Old Faithful Inn

and in Gardiner Mt

heading home on 9/18

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-12-2021 at 05:26 PM.
09-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #87
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My wife would have laid down in the back seat sobbing or passed out.
why

it's just a two lane road

QuoteQuote:
1992. The Beartooth Highway runs 69-miles, from the Red Lodge to Cooke City, Montana and then to the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone National Park. It's a road so spectacular the CBS's Charles Kuralt has called it America's "most beautiful roadway". The video illustrates the highway's use by the traveler, exploring recreational opportunities along the way, as well as providing glimpses of the vast and varied scenery.

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-12-2021 at 05:36 PM.
09-12-2021, 06:29 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

why

it's just a two lane road

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MexvfTkAse8&t=9s]Incredible Scenic Beartooth Highway ? between Montana and Wyoming - YouTube[/ame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78HnNT689ac&t=3s
She’s very afraid of heights.
09-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #89
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
She’s very afraid of heights.
sorry

that isn't a laughing matter
09-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry

that isn't a laughing matter
Oh it’s fine most of the time. She can fly in a plane, but that road… too much I predict.