Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2021, 08:58 PM - 3 Likes   #91
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as far as bears go

learn about bear behavior
If tenting, pitch near a lot of other tents...give the bears a choice.

Steve

09-13-2021, 04:58 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If tenting, pitch near a lot of other tents...give the bears a choice.

Steve
The Law of averages… lol.
09-13-2021, 06:29 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My wife would have laid down in the back seat sobbing or passed out.
If we EVER repeat that trip, my wife wants STRONG drugs - as in passed out, never saw it, drugs. That same trip we looped through Jackson Hole, around Wyoming through the Red Desert (discovered Rawlins, Wyoming was named for the cowboy drawl of raw lands - desiccated and the wind never stops), and then camped in Rocky Mountain National Park. Colorado friends met us there. We put my wife in the middle of the back seat of their 4-door pickup truck for a tour. She bleached bone white when we crossed "Knives' Edge" - while it only took seconds, this section of road was nothing more than a filled saddle between two peaks that dropped who knows how far on BOTH sides of the two-lane road.

Agoraphobia is more than fear of heights. We try to avoid interstate highways due to semi trucks. Passing or being passed by those rigs triggers fears the truck will leave its lane and either swat us off the highway or roll and crush us. It takes us a day to a day and a half longer for our semi-annual trip between Michigan and Texas as we predominantly stick to US or state highways or county highways for the trips.
09-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
If we EVER repeat that trip, my wife wants STRONG drugs - as in passed out, never saw it, drugs. That same trip we looped through Jackson Hole, around Wyoming through the Red Desert (discovered Rawlins, Wyoming was named for the cowboy drawl of raw lands - desiccated and the wind never stops), and then camped in Rocky Mountain National Park. Colorado friends met us there. We put my wife in the middle of the back seat of their 4-door pickup truck for a tour. She bleached bone white when we crossed "Knives' Edge" - while it only took seconds, this section of road was nothing more than a filled saddle between two peaks that dropped who knows how far on BOTH sides of the two-lane road.

Agoraphobia is more than fear of heights. We try to avoid interstate highways due to semi trucks. Passing or being passed by those rigs triggers fears the truck will leave its lane and either swat us off the highway or roll and crush us. It takes us a day to a day and a half longer for our semi-annual trip between Michigan and Texas as we predominantly stick to US or state highways or county highways for the trips.
My wife isn’t much better at road heights. I can imagine how much she hated that saddle. Trucks make her nervous and she isn’t a big fan of interstates but is usually relaxed when I’m the one driving and she can drive on them just fine. But that saddle would paralyze her.

She was a good egg to accompany you on that part. Mine would tell me to have fun and go do something else while I did that part alone.

---------- Post added 09-13-21 at 10:26 AM ----------

Just googled knives edge car. Wow!

Curious - I know we have more men than women active on the forum, but I wonder how many husbands are afraid of heights. Or even just members. I’m no Superman, in some places I have a healthy respect for heights but I’m not paranoid about it.

---------- Post added 09-13-21 at 10:36 AM ----------

Update. My wife was calm watching the video. She said it is like a bridge. A little nerve wracking but not at all bad. She says she might be able to drive it! The wide 2 lane with shoulders helps. If it were narrower she might have been feeling differently. Also in person she might be bothered but video is typically enough to freak her out if it would bug her in person.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-13-2021 at 07:30 AM.
09-13-2021, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #95
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I drove over the high road in RMNP

My wife asked me why I was driving down the middle of the road instead of our side

I said.

1 no one is coming toward us

2 have you seen there is no guard rail and that drop

Afraid of heights no

Smart YES
09-13-2021, 07:46 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finly arrived at hotel in Gardiner Mt about 7:30;pm LOCALLY

Arrived at GTNP. at 7 am for tour. On way there from Jackson got alert about low front left tire

Went on tour saw cow and juvenile moose in small lake

Photographed same

Judy saw sow black bear and cubs heading over ridge so did guide

Me nada

We saw a other cow moose no.photo

Saw male pronghorns up close photos

Saw male bison attacking small tree no photos

Judy and guide saw badger

Me nada

SW black bear in tree after hawthorn fruit

Photographed

Go tire fixed by AAA in GTNP and headed to YNP

There saw elk battling and bison

Photographed same

Photos later in week
09-13-2021, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

I know you already decided but if I were to pick I'd do the 16-85, the 43mm (for the LX) and the 55-300 PLM. I don't like complicated setups, and a 2 lens setup for the camera and 1 lens for the film camera is usually what I do when I travel.

Though my film camera of choice is always the Black spotmatic SP with the Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 8 element version. Portra 400 is the film of choice

09-13-2021, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious - I know we have more men than women active on the forum, but I wonder how many husbands are afraid of heights. Or even just members. I’m no Superman, in some places I have a healthy respect for heights but I’m not paranoid about it.
I am scared of heights. On the US east coast, that was no big deal, the occasional skyscraper or bridge like the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I didn't think about it a lot when we moved out here. My sister came to visit and we decided to see Pike's Peak. The road twists and turns but I was perfectly fine until we got above the tree line. Then I couldn't drive at all. My sister wasn't volunteering either, so my wife drove the rest of the way up, then back down, only the second time she ever drove my truck. This was when the road was partly dirt. The same thing happens on Trail Ridge Rd. in RMNP. I can get up to the tree line, then forget it. The last time I tried, some elk popped up from a steep dropoff on the left, bounded across the road and plummeted off the right side. That was it for me.
09-14-2021, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #99
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have done a fair amount of mountaineering and live in a region where there are also plenty of opportunities to fall. As such I have a ton of respect for heights and potential for a fall and seriousness of outcome from such. If I am doing photography near an edge that is sketchy, I always move with extreme deliberate care.

Click through on the photo to see my notes regarding the hazards associated with taking photo below. Many people fall to their deaths at Palouse Falls.

Pentax K-3, Rokinon 8/3.5 Fisheye

A dear friend fell to her death two years before from a spot a few meters to the right from where I took this photo. It was my first visit since it happened and I will not be returning. 250' fall to boulders below with no clear reason for how it happened.

Pentax SV, Tamron 28/2.5 (01B), Ektar 100

I have other friends who survived terrible falls and tumbles in the mountains and know of many others that did not. Yes, fear is justified, even among the experienced.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-19-2021 at 02:37 PM.
09-14-2021, 11:36 AM - 4 Likes   #100
Pentaxian

Still haven't been able to properly go through all my pictures from my recent GTNP and YNP vacation, but on first glance, I put together a quick album with some highlights. I did not use a tripod, my longest lens was the DA 55-300 PLM, most of the other shots were taken with DA 16-85mm, all using my single KP body. Most importantly, I had a lot of fun with my wife and little kids on this memorable trip!

seventysixersfan's Album: GTNP & YNP 2021 - PentaxForums.com

And two of my favorite shots:

09-14-2021, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have done a fair amount of mountaineering and live in a region where there are also plenty of opportunities to fall. As such I have a ton of respect for heights and potential for a fall and seriousness of outcome from such. If I am doing photography near an edge that is sketchy, I always move with extreme deliberate pace.

Click through on the photo to see my notes regarding the hazards associated with taking photo below. Many people fall to their deaths at Palouse Falls.

Pentax K-3, Rokinon 8/3.5 Fisheye

A dear friend fell to her death two years before from a spot a few meters to the right from where I took this photo. It was my first visit since it happened and I will not be returning. 250' fall to boulders below with no clear reason for how it happened.

Pentax SV, Tamron 28/2.5 (01B), Ektar 100

I have other friends who survived terrible falls and tumbles in the mountains and know of many others that did not. Yes, fear is justified, even among the experienced.

Steve
Steve I am not making light of the risks. (And I don’t think you are saying I am. I’m just clarifying. )

I have traditionally been a bit of a mountain goat - very good balance and sure footed. However known high risk surfaces I give a wide berth to. The classic example is that I have been on “bedrock” a thousand feet up near the edge without a lot of fear due to the location and conditions. But loose or unstable edges are given a very wide margin of concern. I agree with your assessment - a photo isn’t worth dying for. I’ve also become less risk accepting as I have aged and my capabilities have been reduced and my responsibility level has increased.

However a healthy respect for heights is quite different from a fear of heights. A phobia is far different from a rational evaluation of risk.
09-17-2021, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #102
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
a tease

heading home tomorrow

heading south to Rock Springs WY via Yellowstone, Grand Tetons Jackson Wy and points unknown

these are from Yellowstone

Sandhill Crane

Osprey

Bison with right of way

young buck elks " sparring " with a older Bull near by with his harem

Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep

Sandhill Crane which was with the first one

more later
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-17-2021 at 08:15 PM.
09-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

heading home tomorrow

Bison with right of way
The bison with the right of way is my favorite. I love that you got him in motion.
09-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #104
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The bison with the right of way is my favorite. I love that you got him in motion.
He had frost on his head and came from the side of the road

There was no doubt where he was going

[ photographed from front passenger seat in guide's vehicle as I quickly grabbed the K 3 II with the 20-40 mm ]

______

Personally I Iike the best

the battling elk and the ram climbing the cliff side

of those photos

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-18-2021 at 11:46 AM.
09-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #105
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

heading south to Rock Springs WY via Yellowstone, Grand Tetons Jackson Wy and points unknown
South from Rock Springs on US 191 to Vernal and Dinosaur NM. From there east on US 40. I strongly recommend against attempting to hitch up with I-70 using state or forest roads this time of year.

Steve