Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2021, 08:22 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I seem to recall - either in that same episode or possibly a later one - Batman and Catwoman on a hot date, sharing a milkshake... That was my lasting impression of Catwoman, having watched the show as a kid. But now I'm thinking, maybe that was Lee Meriwether's Catwoman rather than Julie Newmar? Whoever it was, she was beautiful...

So, no other ideas thus far to blow my Nikon F guess out of the water???
It's a Nikon F with a plain prism rather than the photomic head. I believe the view camera is a Burke & James monorail.
Note I had to watch the clip at least a dozen times to even notice there were cameras being used as props.

07-31-2021, 08:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
When she walked in wearing the brown dress, I honestly couldn't understand the appeal. I guess that one dude was Gaga over the tig ol' bitties. Frankly, my babysitter (early 70's) was prettier.

Kirk B.
You have to remember she oozed in during our formative years. That catsuit was soooo tight
07-31-2021, 09:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is something in the middle, but it does look like "N-N" to me.
Does the 'something in the middle' help any?
Attached Images

07-31-2021, 10:22 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There is something in the middle, but it does look like "N-N" to me.
Does the 'something in the middle' help any?
I would imagine it was the same then as it is now. Unless the manufacturer was willing to pony up the dollars, TV shows don't show brand names. It also avoids lawsuits if there are any negative connotations.
Even if you had a clear shot of the camera, it probably wouldn't show the name.

Kirk B.

07-31-2021, 10:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By my count, the photographer in this clip shot 34 exposures. If he had gone over 36 I was going to cry foul.
07-31-2021, 12:00 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
By my count, the photographer in this clip shot 34 exposures. If he had gone over 36 I was going to cry foul.
Ah, but it's Bewitched. Samantha could undoubtedly increase the length of the film roll with a little twitch of her nose :lol
07-31-2021, 12:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Nope Not a Nikon F, The only cameras I know of with the square glass cells above the lens like that was the Voigtlander Bessamatic or Leica Contaflex B.

I've pretty much narrowed my choice to the Voigtlander Bessamatic it was the only camera with that shape.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-31-2021 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added content.
07-31-2021, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll agree with everyone that says it's a Nikon F with the plain prism. I think they put a sticker or something over the name in order to hide it.
07-31-2021, 12:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I'll agree with everyone that says it's a Nikon F with the plain prism. I think they put a sticker or something over the name in order to hide it.
I've owned several Nikon F's Take a look at all of them you wont find that glass piece on any of them..
07-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Nope Not a Nikon F, The only cameras I know of with the square glass cells above the lens like that was the Voigtlander Bessamatic or Leica Contaflex B.

I've pretty much narrowed my choice to the Voigtlander Bessamatic it was the only camera with that shape.
No... the prism housing shape (sharp pointed top), controls and top-plate thickness don't match either of those
07-31-2021, 01:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

No... the prism housing shape (sharp pointed top), controls and top-plate thickness don't match either of those
Yeah, I'm going to have to stand corrected. I found a frame where it appears what I was picking up as a glass piece is actually light reflection off the silver Nikon plate so I am going to have to agree with the Nikon F as the camera.
07-31-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #27
Closed Account

Original Poster
Difficult to tell due to (a) the resolution of the video and (b) Julie Newmar writhing about and distracting my concentration

My initial guess is it's a late 50s / early 60s Nikon F with motor drive attachment...
I had to look up the definition of "writhing."

Your use of the word is spot on, as Julie Newmar certainly adhered to the meaning of the word - "making twisting, squirming movements or contortions of the body."

Oh, you mentioned something about a Nikon camera ?
07-31-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote

The prism is wrong for the Bessamatic, but more tellingly, the lens release is in the correct place for Nikon, the wrong place for Bessa.
My guess is that they removed the plate on the prism that said Nikon (it was held on by two screws). Also, if you look closely at the camera at the 2:00 mark, you can see the rabbit ears on the lens in front of the shiny bit.
I can't believe how much time I've spent on this, but then, it is Julie Newmar.
07-31-2021, 02:46 PM   #29
Closed Account

Original Poster
I must admit that Batman was my favorite tv show as a child. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized the "campy" nature of the show was to keep with the comic strip. It's a shame the tv series didn't last longer, as according to google:
"Near the end of the third season, ratings had dropped significantly, and ABC cancelled the show. NBC agreed to take over the series, but before it could do so, it discovered that hundreds of thousands of dollars of Batman sets had been destroyed. Rather than rebuild the sets, NBC dropped the project.

I find it funny that throughout the series, when Robin is brought up, Catwoman quickly comes to the solution that "we'll kill him.'"
https://youtu.be/vqRo_w7hNq4?t=70

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 07-31-2021 at 03:03 PM.
07-31-2021, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #30
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 4x5 monorail in the "photo shoot" section is a Calumet - aka Kodak. That model of camera was also used by Ansel Adams on occasion.

I have my Dad's copy sitting in the closet.