Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2021, 05:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera straps for a wedding photographer

I've found it incredibly difficult to find proper info or recommendations, so I thought of asking.

My preferred method for carrying gear:

A shoulder strap for camera 1
A neck strap for camera 2

I currently use Sun Sniper shoulder strap. I wore one strap down and then got another. They have been really good with the only surprising downside on my current one being the screwing mechanism. It does not fasten completely. I added secondary security and it saved my ass few times.

For neck strap, I've been using the ones which comes with the camera. They are really bad and my neck starts to give painful burning sensation after a while. I now use one which came with a second hand body I bought. It looks a very very much like this one: Practical Neoprene Camera Neck Strap for Nikon for Canon for Sony All SLR DSLR YKS Special Gift-buy at a low prices on Joom e-commerce platform

It is much much more comfortable but the quality is bad. The rubberish part is wearing off and ruining my brighter shirts.

I also own Black Rapid dual straps but don't like this setup at all. It's too constraining, noisy because of more metal parts and gear moves around more - and wearing a Blazer on top doesn't work well though that's a minor detail. It also also wears me down faster because I'm kind of forced to have both bodies on me at all times - and looks incredibly ugly. Money Maker strap looks way better and although I could combine Peak Design anchors with it for fast cam removal, I still don't think I'd like using dual straps (but I could be wrong?).

I've looked at Peak Design Slide, Slide Lite and Leash. Leash seems too thin and I bet would not be comfortable throughout a day. Slide Lite looks like it has the desired width, but no padding. Slide gets lots of praise but I found very few snippets here and there about it being too wide as a neck strap and can hurt after a while.

But, there's also the metal parts thing and I'm wondering how it would be when using 2 straps. Would the camera hanigng from the neck be hitting metal from the other strap? Can't find anything about anyone having tried 2 straps at once.

Also, I'm not convinced any of them would be comfortable when using for many hours in a day.

I could easily go with a new Sun Sniper Strap (screw mechanism seems to change all the time so current "issue" might not be there anymore). The very thick padding part doesn't really bother me, and actually helps keeping the strap from sliding. But I wouldn't mind something thinner. Black Rapid is way thinner and wider, but doesn't do what it should and comes off shoulder all the time (when I use just one strap). I do not like those smaller aiding straps for the purpose of elimination sliding.

The biggest question is: which neck strap should I go with? But in general, what to look at for 2 cameras.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 08-05-2021 at 05:49 AM.
08-05-2021, 05:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the Black Rapid double sling, but I've only used for music festivals rather than weddings.

The guy who shot my daughter's wedding (Dan Evans) had a ridiculously cool looking bespoke leather double sling. I want it.
08-05-2021, 05:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I really like the Black Rapid double sling, but I've only used for music festivals rather than weddings.

The guy who shot my daughter's wedding (Dan Evans) had a ridiculously cool looking bespoke leather double sling. I want it.
Yeah, I agree. They can look really good.
08-05-2021, 06:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What about putting one camera on a belt mounted capture clip?

I have the small peak design sling strap, I love it. But I don’t use it for long periods of time at a stretch. I also use it mainly on my KP or Sony A7riii and typically with nothing huge.

08-05-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I worked around some pros who used something like the waist belt or chest harness and clip systems when using multiple cameras. Very secure, allowed hands free activities, no worries about gear swinging about and knocking against objects and decorations. That would be my recommendation.
08-05-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #6

Have you ever looked here? Spider Camera Holster

Also available for two cameras ... one on the right, the other on the left. I've been using the simple version for years and have no problems with shoulders, neck or the like ... I sometimes have a good 3kg dangling on it.
All very sturdy and comfortable.
08-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
I have been using Lucky Straps out of Australia. Very well made with enough with to be comfortable. They come in two lengths, leather or cotton. They have a unique attachment system that is quick and locks solid so no surprise undoing. High recommend them for consideration.
Leather Camera Straps | Handmade ? Lucky Camera Straps

Herb

08-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah yes. I'm aware of those but have been ignoring them for so long that I didn't even consider them now. I pre-ordered the very first Peak Design Cature Clip, back when PD wasn't even a proper business yet. I only used it few times. I used to cover very large weddings over many years, where people could bump into you - and more importantly, there used to always be many children, running and playing all over the place, so it felt very unsafe and dangerous.

But actually, I recently stopped covering such large weddings so I no longer have the same worries I think they actually might be perfect for me - thanks for reminding me of them, lol

---------- Post added 05-08-21 at 19:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
Hi
I have been using Lucky Straps out of Australia. Very well made with enough with to be comfortable. They come in two lengths, leather or cotton. They have a unique attachment system that is quick and locks solid so no surprise undoing. High recommend them for consideration.
Leather Camera Straps | Handmade ? Lucky Camera Straps

Herb
I can see myself buying something like this, just for the looks alone, lol.
08-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not two slings, one hanging on your left and one on your right, but it could be awkward at a wedding, you could judge that better than me. I've done it hiking and it worked ok.
08-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Why not two slings, one hanging on your left and one on your right, but it could be awkward at a wedding, you could judge that better than me. I've done it hiking and it worked ok.
Good question. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Just tried it and it felt alright. I might give it a go at a 13h wedding coverage this Saturday.
08-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got home - thought I'd write about how it was to use two slings, while I'm transferring all photos to computer.

It worked fairly well. Way better than expected tbh, and I'm not as beaten as I usually get. I used Black Rapid strap as my second sling and I don't like it. Shoulder pad slides to front or back all the time - but the worst part was all the movement from 2 slings.

I'm liking the idea of getting the cameras down to the hip but I think the Sun Sniper Holster is overpriced and doesn't even have something for additional security. I could use a double strap for additional security only. Something Like Money Maker would look great, but would also quickly become really expensive.

I also tried to pay attention to how I hold my cameras. That knob thingy on Sun Sniper Holster plate always looked suspicious and I'm now certain it will be getting in my way. I'd need to compromise a stable hold. That's bummer because just today (and last time... and before), I had to shoot all evening at 1/50 or slower shutter thanks to low light + extremely flickering light

I think the holster is the best option, but it's not an easy choice to make.
08-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote

I also tried to pay attention to how I hold my cameras. That knob thingy on Sun Sniper Holster plate always looked suspicious and I'm now certain it will be getting in my way. I'd need to compromise a stable hold. That's bummer because just today (and last time... and before), I had to shoot all evening at 1/50 or slower shutter thanks to low light + extremely flickering light

I think the holster is the best option, but it's not an easy choice to make.

What about the peak design capture clips? Maybe these won’t get in your way.
08-08-2021, 05:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What about the peak design capture clips? Maybe these won’t get in your way.
One of the things I remember about it was, that the camera is locked in one position, and because of that, the belt gets bent/twisted.

It's been a long while and wanted to try again. But can't find my Capture Clip
08-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered Spider Holster online - a week later it turned out it was out of stock and wouldn't be available for some weeks, so I canceled. Can't find it anywhere else.

Then wanted to try Peak Design Slide at a local store, but they wouldn't let me... well, goodbye then!

I don't think any of those is best option - so I'll go with dual leather strap - at least I'll look good while I suffer xD
08-25-2021, 12:24 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've used the Money Maker Dual Camera Strap system from Holdfast, certainly without any issues.

Strangely enough not for weddings, but I'm sure they would work fine in that situation.