Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2021, 03:58 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good reads for free

The camera, Ansel Adams: The camera (1980 edition) | Open Library
The negative, Ansel Adams: The negative (1981 edition) | Open Library
The print, Ansel Adams: The print (1983 edition) | Open Library'
Examples, the making of 40 photographs, Ansel Adams: Examples (1983 edition) | Open Library
Mountain light, Galen Rowell: Mountain Light (August 12, 1987 edition) | Open Library
Photographs from the J. Paul Getty Museum, Edward Weston: Edward Weston (2005 edition) | Open Library

---------- Post added 10-08-21 at 13:02 ----------

I found that "The camera" was instructional for me, although camera technology evolve a lot, the concepts used for camera choices are still applicable.
In "Examples, the making of 40 photographs", Adams provide stories about his he made the images, and the choice of lenses, if I remember correctly.
In "Mountain light", Rowell tell stories about how he composed images. Also for me it was interesting what mix of primes and zoom Rowell chose to carry with him for mountain landscape photography.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-10-2021 at 04:07 AM.
08-10-2021, 04:29 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Although I'm not really a member of the cult of Ansel Adams worship, I have to say that "Examples" is one of the best and most useful photography books in my collection. It was the book that made me really understand the zone system for the first time, thanks to reading about the choices Adams made and seeing the results in each photo.

Thanks for sharing the links.
08-10-2021, 05:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, indeed. I have not looked at Internet Archives in years. I too am interested in Adams' work and this is great.
08-10-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Good reads for free
Thank you for sharing. Learning new stuff everyday.

08-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting! Indeed good reads.
08-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Excellent list!

In regards to the first three:

Some might think that "The Negative" is only pertinent to b&w film photography, but that assumption could not be further from the truth. An understanding of its contents provides a firm foundation for discerning what our digital cameras and processing tools provide and as well as the limitations of both those tools and our cameras. I can honestly say that no other book has impacted my practice and basic understanding more with most of its concepts being directly transferable to digital.

"The Camera" answers a ton of questions...nuff said.

"The Print" while generally not as applicable to digital work may still be useful, if for nothing more than understanding terminology and how darkroom prints are made.

As for "Edward Weston" from the Getty Museum. The man knew how to both see and make and the more we see of his work, the more we know what may be seen.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-10-2021 at 05:07 PM.
08-11-2021, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Some might think that "The Negative" is only pertinent to b&w film photography, but that assumption could not be further from the truth.
Yes, it's about film, but it changed my approach to photography. Setting up the exposure while thinking about the end result in a print, including what can be corrected via digital post processing.

---------- Post added 11-08-21 at 09:28 ----------

If anyone knows any other valuable book found in the open library, please share here.

08-11-2021, 02:59 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought copies of St. Ansel's three books (The Camera, The Negative, and The Print). I would recommend looking at purchasing a copy of at least the first two. Used copies can be had quite cheaply and I still like paper copies of photography oriented books.
08-12-2021, 12:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More interesting read (I like old books...): Landscape and figure composition (1973 edition) | Open Library

And, not available to borrow in open-library, but perhaps some original concepts about landscape photography I found in renown painting literature:
=> Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting [ John F. Carlson ].

---------- Post added 12-08-21 at 09:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Used copies can be had quite cheaply and I still like paper copies of photography oriented books.
I guess that's true in the USA. In EU it's not so easy to find used hardware copies of Ansel A. books. Some can be purchased new from amazon, not particularly cheap.
08-12-2021, 01:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I guess that's true in the USA. In EU it's not so easy to find used hardware copies of Ansel A. books. Some can be purchased new from amazon, not particularly cheap.

Paperback copies of all three of the Camera/Negative/Print books in as-new condition were donated a couple of weeks ago at the charity bookshop where I volunteer and sold very quickly. I've become the shop's go-to guy for researching and pricing any photography related books, and we do get some occasional gems turning up among the inevitable junk. Although most of what comes in is basic how-to books from the seventies, eighties and nineties, which sadly go straight off to recycling as there's no market for them. But when I open a box of donations and some really interesting photography related books start coming out of it, it feels a bit like Christmas.

And of course I always get the shop manager to double-check the price of any I want to buy myself. My favourite purchase so far being the Thames & Hudson book "Magnum Magnum" edited by Brigitte Lardinois. A treasure trove of photo-journalism at its greatest.
08-12-2021, 02:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More interesting read (I like old books...): Landscape and figure composition (1973 edition) | Open Library

And, not available to borrow in open-library, but perhaps some original concepts about landscape photography I found in renown painting literature:
=> Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting [ John F. Carlson ].

---------- Post added 12-08-21 at 09:17 ----------

Does Alibris ship to Europe?

ansel adams - Alibris
08-12-2021, 03:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does Alibris ship to Europe?ansel adams - Alibris
Ah ah !
08-12-2021, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Aaand just signed up to Open-Library. I was not aware of it... thanks a lot!
08-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this! I wasn't aware of open library and the suggestions you gave for reading material look good.
08-13-2021, 04:18 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was fortunate to to visit an Ansel Adams exhibit two weeks ago, in person the images are impressive and one can learn much from studying his techniques.
I really need to some some time in my local libraries’ stacks of photo books.