Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2021, 04:01 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Why display the photos so large?
Life size representation?
That's a question, which if ask to people who never print large or never print at all, will always get the answer that high resolution is not needed.

08-18-2021, 05:17 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Life size representation?
That's a question, which if ask to people who never print large or never print at all, will always get the answer that high resolution is not needed.
From what I've seen it's more like twenty times larger than life? It's probably just a curatorial decision to strike awe. I guess it goes well with his images. The scale of works is usually a super sensitive thing for artists. Very intentional and a huge part of creating the atmosphere of the work. Intimate, brash etc. etc.

This time it seems the curation and the mass of images, moving between them have taken precedence.

So about noise and printing large... It depends innit.
08-18-2021, 05:50 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Everytime I have my pictures printed at a shop, they tell me "We know you ordered 8x10 prints, but your files had so many pixels, we had to print them at 16x20, some of them even larger.".
This is actually possible. If super high resolution image is downsampled badly either by the person doing the printing or handled badly by the printer driver, the result might be a bit dense. Cramming 400MP to 2MP web size all in one go using standard resizing operations is not very optimal way to do it.
08-18-2021, 05:57 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
This is actually possible. If super high resolution image is downsampled badly either by the person doing the printing or handled badly by the printer driver, the result might be a bit dense. Cramming 400MP to 2MP web size all in one go using standard resizing operations is not very optimal way to do it.
Note to self: Stop taking 400MP photos for the web.

This must be why I run out of disk space so often...

08-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Ya, I was taking a peek at few 400MP pixel-shift capture samples from Fuji GFX100s and tried to downsample them in different ways. I got nice results by halving the resolution step by step until I reached a good target resolution.
08-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
To answer the question:
One buys a higher-resolution camera to have the option to sometimes exploit the higher resolution. However, when there is not need to exploit the higher resolution, one enjoys the benefits of downsampling, i.e., pays no noise penalty compared to a lower resolution sensor.
Honestly, you can't really buy an APS-C camera with less than 24MP these days.

I find 24MP in my K-3 too much for my needs. My most used camera is the K200D (10MP) and I'm very happy about it. My 2nd-most used camera is the K-S1 and that is because it is the closest in rendering to the older Pentax cameras, not because it's 20MP.

I find that not being a pixel peeper saves you all kinds of money... from the amount of people posting here with older cameras, I'm far from alone...
08-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Saving for websize does inform you when your photo is to big. It happens everytime I stitch.

Which reminds me I do have one print I view closer than minimum viewing distance regularly. It is above my sink. It is extremely down sized and the only print that benefits from the high detail.