Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2021, 02:59 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few random observations:

When I bought my first camera, an ME Super, I was a bit paranoid about using it because of the thought of people thinking 'who's that poser with a fancy camera who clearly knows nothing about photography?' which was not good for my photography. It would have been worse with a Leica.

I've tried never to buy a new camera until either the one I use breaks of I feel that it's shortcomings are holding me back in some way.

When you're in the moment and your actually using the camera, you're just glad to have one with you.

When you get back and see the pictures you've missed you will be annoyed that the camera didn't make up for your shortcomings.

For the same photographer and the same vision (remembering Ansel Adams and his sharp picture of a fuzzy idea) a better camera will usually result in a better image - but an inconspicuous camera might result in better images on the street etc etc.

I now try to take th best pictures I can with hat I've got to hand and try to forget about image/psychology

08-24-2021, 11:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This is serious stuff. I was watching a documentary about the mental methods used by high level athletes to reach their maximum performance, the building of mental patterns for the preparation to Olympic games. Belief of one's capability and mental visualization of movement before the performance is actually delivered seems to have measurable effect on how athletes performs. Perhaps believing that your camera takes good pictures and per-visualizing yourself setting it up and pressing the shutter button, before actually doing it on site may improved pictures.
08-25-2021, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If the camera is red, does it take better pictures?
Well... if by Red you mean a Red dot on the front, the answer is absolutely yes it does.
08-25-2021, 02:00 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
The same phenomenon occurs with birding - often people retire, seek a hobby that will get them outdoors (in good weather) and decide on birding. They can often be identified (although there is as yet no field guide) as they have the appearance of people who have entered an 'outdoors store' and ordered highly-priced but impractical outdoor clothing, then gone to an optics shop and bought the most expensive scopes, bins and cameras they can find.

If they can be persuaded to admit their ignorance, they may be able to accept advice or help from other birders, to assist them in enjoying their endeavours. Many do not, and according to second-hand dealers in such items part with their equipment at ridiculously low prices, frequently dropping several thousand pounds.

These are often known as 'ATGNI' - All The Gear, No Idea.

Having said that, I have both Leica bins and scope - both of which have been used at least weekly for over twenty years.
The same applies to golf. Those with the most expensive equipment tend to have the highest handicaps