Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Full frame lenses on APS-C

Hi all,
I'm curious about any negative effects of using full frame lenses on APS-C body.
Since the image circle is larger where it hits the sensor, is there extra light perhaps reflecting/bouncing around?
I don't notice anything so perhaps this is negligible.
Anyway, just curious..

08-28-2021, 11:18 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
Hi all,
I'm curious about any negative effects of using full frame lenses on APS-C body.
Since the image circle is larger where it hits the sensor, is there extra light perhaps reflecting/bouncing around?
Anyway, just curious..
The only negative effect is the typically increased size and weight of FF lenses compared to APS-C lenses. It is common for Pentax, Nikon, and Sony APS-C owners to use FF lenses.
08-28-2021, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've read that over sized lenses do tend to create more issues with flare and ghosting. As always it probably plays out differently per lens formula.
08-28-2021, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most of my lenses are full frame and there’s no issues (other than a little weight) in using them.

08-28-2021, 11:50 AM - 5 Likes   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,
Anyway, just curious..

none - keep enjoying them...
08-28-2021, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

"No issue" is relative. Of course they work fine but compared to the same lens on ff or a apsc lens on a apsc camera you'll have more issues with flare and ghosting. Depending on your lens there may well be native lenses with worse issues. But then its down to optical design.

So in other words they will work fine but less than ideal. You're unlikely to be bothered or even notice unless side by side test are made.
08-28-2021, 12:11 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

And perhaps you profit from the fact that the center of the image with some FF lenses is sharp, wheras the corners are not and that you miss the not sharp corners in your image, I believe is sometimes read this in reviews of FF lenses where they also inform you of the result on an APS-C, but maybe I got it wrong. The few FF lenses I own usually give brilliant results, they are lenses from the F series lenses.

08-28-2021, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

None at all..If you think that all aps-c lenses produce an image circle that cuts tight to the parameters of an aps-c sensor you are mistaken.
08-28-2021, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
"No issue" is relative. Of course they work fine but compared to the same lens on ff or a apsc lens on a apsc camera you'll have more issues with flare and ghosting. Depending on your lens there may well be native lenses with worse issues. But then its down to optical design.

So in other words they will work fine but less than ideal. You're unlikely to be bothered or even notice unless side by side test are made.
I appreciate your concern, but they work just fine, honestly. I’m not buying more glass to test alongside the good glass already in hand, too busy enjoying making photos in today’s lovely weather. No flare or ghosting to report and there were conditions which would certainly provoke either if they were a problem.
08-28-2021, 12:26 PM - 9 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I've read that over sized lenses do tend to create more issues with flare and ghosting. As always it probably plays out differently per lens formula.
Unless people are discussing specific lenses I'd question how useful that information is.

It's not like Pentax APS-c bodies aren't design with appropriate baffling to make the best use of FF lenses, especially since when first released, FF lenses were 99% of what was available for them. So, I'm wondering, where's the proof that FF lenses cause problems on APS-c? Or is it just someone's mindless Saturday morning ruminations?

Last edited by normhead; 08-28-2021 at 12:32 PM.
08-28-2021, 12:34 PM - 9 Likes   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Unless people are discussing specific lenses I'd question how useful that information is.

It's not like Pentax APS-c bodies aren't design with appropriate baffling to make the best use of FF lenses, especially since when first released, FF lenses were 99% of what was available for them. So, I'm wondering, where's the proof that FF lenses cause problems on APS-c? Or is it just someone's mindless Saturday morning ruminations?
there aren't any - somebody somewhere made it up and it became a mantra for people that like to repeat useless things to people asking questions....
08-28-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The native lens hoods of FF lenses are too short for optimum performance on APS-C
08-28-2021, 12:44 PM - 6 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those claiming increased flare and ghosting, please show us objective reviews with examples under controlled conditions that demonstrate this. I have used multiple camera systems including m43 (Olympus, Panasonic), apsc (Pentax, Samsung, Sony, Nikon, Canon) with adapted lenses larger than the native frame size, never once did I notice the problems alluded to. Not once have I read anything like this either. I have seen many lenses that suffer from ghosting and flare, this is usually worse on the larger frame sizes and when the same lenses are used on cropped sensor cameras the problems are often reduced in my experience.

However I’m willing to be open minded. If there are certain lenses that behave worse on a cropped sensor than on the native sensor if like to see evidence to understand this issue. But as I said this runs counter to my own experience.
08-28-2021, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would you please provide a source that describes the increased flaring and ghosting when using FF lenses on APS-C cameras? I have never heard of it before. I have used and know other users who use their APS-C cameras (Nikon D500, Sony 6600) with FF lenses without any issues.
08-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... you'll have more issues with flare and ghosting.
I did read such complain regarding 645 lenses with adapter on APS-C camera. But never regarding FF lenses.