Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #46

There is theory... there is speculation... there is testing... and then there is day to day application and usage.

For years Pentaxians (and others) have used full frame lenses on APS-C sensors cameras. Perhaps they didn't know what induced issues were hiding behind their otherwise favorable results.

But along came the K-1 in 2016 and a direct comparison has been in the hands of very many users for the past 5 years. So direct that it does not require the use of 3rd party adapters and is based entirely on the original manufacturer design and production.

08-30-2021, 09:29 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
There is theory... there is speculation... there is testing... and then there is day to day application and usage.

For years Pentaxians (and others) have used full frame lenses on APS-C sensors cameras. Perhaps they didn't know what induced issues were hiding behind their otherwise favorable results.

But along came the K-1 in 2016 and a direct comparison has been in the hands of very many users for the past 5 years. So direct that it does not require the use of 3rd party adapters and is based entirely on the original manufacturer design and production.
It took me a few months on the forum to find out my camera was APS-c. I'm really a "look through viewfinder, take picture" kind of guy. It never occurred to me to consider "FF or APS_c" lenses. My second purchase after the 18-55 and Sigma 70-300 (an FF lens) was the FA 50 1.7. I can't think of a single instance where that 50 1.7 ran into problems with flare or ghosting, after 10 years of use.

Last edited by normhead; 08-30-2021 at 01:22 PM.
08-30-2021, 11:09 AM - 4 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about the speculation that light reflecting of the black casing around the apsc sensor will cause less ghosting than light reflecting off the FF glass on the sensor. Thus I can say there is more problem using FF lenses on FF camera.

You just read it on the internet so it must be true. I would also speculate that 99.99% of ghosting is inside the lens. Using at f/4 has less chance than f/5.6 as the aperture can be a culprit or the aperture prevents the culprit below?
This is more fun than speculating which glass contains the iocane powder in The Princess Bride! of corse both glasses contained the powder as probably both apsc and FF might do worse in different situations.
08-30-2021, 12:14 PM - 5 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
This is more fun than speculating which glass contains the iocane powder in The Princess Bride!
Inconceivable!!!

08-30-2021, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
Inconceivable!!!
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
08-30-2021, 08:50 PM - 3 Likes   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
I love you guys... that's one of my favorite movies. Next you'll be telling me things in quotes from Young Frankenstein and I can die happy.
08-30-2021, 09:57 PM - 2 Likes   #52
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I love you guys... that's one of my favorite movies. Next you'll be telling me things in quotes from Young Frankenstein and I can die happy.
what knockers!

08-30-2021, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #53
PDL
Pentaxian

"Where wolf?
There wolf?"

I took liberties with the spelling.

"As you wish."
08-31-2021, 07:39 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Consider two extreme cases of FF lenses:
  • lens A produces a very sharp image in the center, but image quality degrades abruptly near the FF corners
  • lens B produces an image with average resolution in the center, and image quality degrades only moderately near the FF corners
Lens A would perform better on APS-C than on FF (as the smaller sensor will crop the "bad" corners) but lens B would perform better on FF (both for a given print size because of the APS-C magnification factor, and at the pixel level, because of the smaller pixels of APS-C).

So I would say that it depends on the lens.
08-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #55

I´ve been using 35mm ("full frame") lenses on APSC camera and results are awesome. I've even seen 35mm lenses on a bigger format sensor like GFX and depending on the lenses and aperture the results are just gorgeous.
08-31-2021, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #56

Hi all,
I'm curious about any negative effects of using full frame lenses on APS-C body.
Since the image circle is larger where it hits the sensor, is there extra light perhaps reflecting/bouncing around?
I don't notice anything so perhaps this is negligible.
Anyway, just curious..
I have used pentax d fa 24-70 on my k-3 and I really like , no issue at all. On the other hand when I used crop lenses on k-1 I noticed loosing a lot vs if used crop on k-3. On my opinion is no problem to use full frame lenses on crop camera.Mariusz
08-31-2021, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Hi all,
I'm curious about any negative effects of using full frame lenses on APS-C body.
Since the image circle is larger where it hits the sensor, is there extra light perhaps reflecting/bouncing around?
Anyway, just curious..
Interesting thought.. but no deleterious effects are possible or foreseeable
back in the day lenses for 6x7 or 6x45 were used in the 35mm cameras
08-31-2021, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sold off All of our FF FA* and DFA HD Glass this year (exc HD DFA 150-450)

QuoteOriginally posted by SrMi Quote
The only negative effect is the typically increased size and weight of FF lenses compared to APS-C lenses. It is common for Pentax, Nikon, and Sony APS-C owners to use FF lenses.

Too Heavy, at 64 y.o. too much to lug in the jungle any more. New DA*s are just fine.

I believe most FF glass has a distinct advantage... Sensor is in the middle of the image circle for APSc. Nice light, corners obviously sharper...
08-31-2021, 08:14 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Hi all,
Anyway, just curious..
I still use some of my full-frame lenses on my K-S1, but it is a question of try it and see. Many of my m42 Takumars , including Takumar, Super-Takumar and SMC coated versions have been sold not because they were not sharp, or potentially useable, but simply exhibited too much chromatic aberration to be satisfactory without correction, something I do not do because I rarely resort to any processing . The CA was not in any particular focal length, but scattered across the whole spectrum of lengths. The same applied to many non-Pentax lenses as well, but interestingly zoom lenses seemed less affected than prime lenses, and not just because they were newer computations. So simple answer is try it and see!.
08-31-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #60

Full Frame lens on APS-C

I have had not problems with full frame lenses used on APS-C cameras. I have read that APS-C lenses are built to focus the light onto the APS-C sensors. But, I have gotten good results with FF lenses on my K-3.