Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Older P&S, "Q" or dSLR? Your thoughts?

My daughter (8 years old) enjoys taking pictures with an ancient (relatively speaking) Olympus digital camera (4MP, I think). I would like to get a better, yet still inexpensive, digital camera. I was thinking either:

(1) A $20 - $50 older P&S or superzoom in the 10 - 15MP range, of which there are a plethora.

(2) An older Pentax dSLR, Q, or the like, which can use the lenses I already own.

I have a Canonet and an Argus C3 (and a bunch of good and bad Pentax film bodies), so I am thinking of introducing her to film as well. But in terms of digital...

What are y'all's thoughts? I'm just polling around, to see what y'all think...

08-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Probably stick with option (1) for an 8 year old, but it depends on the 8 year old. They are easy to find and easy to replace. I still use a Canon Powershot s90 sometimes -- 10MP and can shoot RAW, it is quite capable.
08-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

again it would depend on the 8 year old

but a DSLR would allow for growth

start with the " green " auto setting and progress as needed

keep an eye on the marketplace for something interesting
08-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
Unregistered User

The Q is an elegant camera capable of making better images than the cheap P&S (or the film cameras for that matter.) Set it on manual, with Image stabilization and the 01 lens and it is all she needs to began making fine images, images that would be a matter of luck with the others. The Q will let her grow into macro, zoom and telephoto photography inexpensively.

And it is the perfect size for her.

08-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Q does seem rather perfect. I had (although I believe when I was older than 8, like middleschool) a Pentax Auto100. The Q is the spiritual successor to that one, although the Q is not nearly as simple to operate.

Does she take good enough care of the Olympus to trust her with the more valuable one, like a Q? Is she currently "borrowing" the Olympus and using it sometimes, or actually taking care of it and putting it away herself? If not, perhaps stepping up to that with the Olympus is a good next move.

I'm decades older than her, and frankly there are some nice things I don't trust myself to take out and play with, or to take care of properly long term. I can't remember being 8 specifically, but i think there was a good chance I might lose or break things back then. Why, in fact, I almost walked away without my nice pair of stabilized binoculars the other day at a baseball game...
It won't surprise me if your eight year old is more responsible than me, though, and that shouldn't really affect your decision either way
08-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
(2) An older Pentax dSLR, Q, or the like, which can use the lenses I already own.
Using your lenses would be a nice bonus.

However, in the price range of these, there is also the Canon G series (I am aware of G10, G12, G15, G16). I'm not sure about intermediate numbers!!?? (And, am skipping the newer round - i.e. G1 and G7, which I guess have gained an X in their apparitions.) I have a G15 and it is a great camera. I often grab it for quick shots and even travel when I don't want to bother with the mass or all the settings of my K-1 or K-3. I even prefer it over my Q-7 for ease of use. It has all the modes she might want to try, including full manual.
08-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you consider Pentax MX-1? While I never owned it but with the same sensor as Q-7 with fixed zoom lens it should be excellent for your goal. But looks like it costs used more than $200.

08-30-2021, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
(1) A $20 - $50 older P&S or superzoom in the 10 - 15MP range, of which there are a plethora.
I would suggest the above, with the superzoom option. Really easy to use, and gives her full creative control.
Giving your little one the choice of taking her own photos with either the wide or zoomed end, will give you both a much better understanding of what type of photos she prefers, making her second camera easier to choose in a couple of years. Going through her images together on the computer, will be an eye opener for you both, I suspect, and such good fun.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
08-30-2021, 02:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Set it on manual
I think this is the most important factor for someone learning photography. Learning how the technical triangle of ISO-Aperture-Shutter relationship affects the final image sets the proper foundation for using any camera. Learning how to compose is of course equally important.

The best camera is the one you have to hand at any moment, and an 8 year old may not want to carry the weight/bulk of anything as large as a K-5. I agree that the Q is probably the best solution right now, though you might find a used and serviceable GR for a reasonable price.
08-30-2021, 03:34 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
. . . an 8 year old may not want to carry the weight/bulk of anything as large as . . . .
perhaps this site might help to judge size

Compare camera dimensions side by side
08-30-2021, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Couple of suggestions to make photography FUN for kids:

Get a waterproof digital camera like the Pentax WG series or Olympus Tough. Then she can jump in the water and shoot her family and friends the pool or beach, take it out in the rain and snow...no limits. And they are rugged and can take being dropped.

For documenting big events or holiday trips, how about a Fuji Instax? Buy a nice blank scrapbook and have her document the trip by pasting daily photos into the trip journal. This would be a physical keepsake that she may keep into old age.
08-31-2021, 03:14 AM   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say option (1). preferably a prime - superglue it to auto and leave her to concentrate on the image and her relationship to it.
Oh and keep it cheap so when she experiments with photographing the goldfish the experience is not too negative.