Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 05:09 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The point is though the judges in these small contests usually have no experience with photography.
You might be a bit disingenuous here. I have no experience with painting or sculpture, but I certainly enjoy visiting art museums. It is the end result I am looking at – not the process.

Can you imagine how Raphael or Titian with their elegant brushwork would feel about being lumped in with the post-impressionism of Van Gogh or Gauguin if it were process rather than visual experience that was the prime determinant?

In other words, it is the visceral experience of the photograph, not the photography that is of prime importance.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Anyways, I learned not to really care about what others think as a result of that experience. Futile to do so!
Here I am in full agreement with you. Much of what I do is a subset of a subset. So there are not many who even want to look at my images. Most people like "bright and shiny" so working in monochrome automatically narrows the audience considerably. Then some of my subject matter – old gravestones and cemetery statues – seems to result in a still smaller (sometimes near zero) number of appreciative viewers.

Last edited by AggieDad; 09-15-2021 at 05:15 AM.
09-16-2021, 02:23 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
when I first review my photographic results I am often disappointed

however if I go back to the same photos after a period time: days, weeks, months or even years

I find photos that I like now

am I alone in this ?
I find I'm more often the other way around. I have read about other photographers who prefer to wait a few days before reviewing and that way they find they're better able to assess the results.
09-23-2021, 06:52 AM   #63

I've always used film and have kept the negatives in files. Sure today I scan and create a digital file however if anything happens I have the negatives as back up.

And yes, there are a lot of shots taken way back when that were ignored or forgotten about although not necessarily discarded. I'm correcting that issue today.
09-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
You are certainly not alone. I have heard some photographers say they either deliberately or due to work pressure don’t look at what they’ve taken for sometimes months, in order to evaluate them sensibly. I tend to leave mine a while before reviewing or processing.
same here.