Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How large do you print or view?
No print - my interest is social media sharing 22.53%
No print - I view in large 4k monitors 67.59%
No print, but I want to be able to crop a LOT 22.53%
Small Prints (up to 8x10) 911.39%
Medium Prints (11x14 and magazines size) 911.39%
Large Prints (up to 16x24) 3037.97%
Very Large Prints (please specify) 1316.46%
Extremely Large Prints (please specify) 11.27%
Large Wall-Covering Prints   00%
None of the above (please specify) 78.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Usually 13 x 19, which is the top end of my printer the PRO-100.

09-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My largest print is 42x30 taken with a K-3. It takes up the wall behind the living room sofa. We probably have between 10 and 20 30x20 prints on canvas, left over from when we used to sell at craft shows. There are 6 locations where they are hung, the rest are in storage. I can see 9 smaller prints from where I sit and 3 16x24s are right around the corner. The largest I've printed a K-1 file is a 20x16 pixel shifted image. The lady at the printers was a little blown away by the sharpness. Disappointed when I told her I shot Pentax. I've spoken with her before and I know she used to shoot Pentax but joined the dark side when Pentax was late switching to digital. She has in the past expressed regret when looking at my cameras.

But the vast majority of my viewing these days is on 4k monitors. We do 3-6 prints every now and then, probably once every year or couple of years. Most of them 8x10 or 11x14.

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2021 at 02:22 PM.
09-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Up to very recently (Covid related) up to 23.4 x 33.1 inch, ie A1 from a K-1. Sold several at this size, but A2 (16.5 x 23.4 inch) was the most common, larger size. I tested A0 (33.1 x 46.8inch) and saw absolutely no problem printing at that size if requested from a K-1, but sadly I never was asked :-( So no need for me to go greater than K-1 sensor size. Wall space was normally the issue.

I was asked about a wall sized print to be produced as an outside substitute view for a basement. That would have a challenge. Not sure if I would have struggled or not. The request came from an interior designer so they were probably not likely to want to stick their noses right up to it as photographers do*. May well have been OK after all ...

* Oh the joys of selling to the public. Don't miss it that much. Photographers were the worst in so many ways. One who'd spent ages with his nose almost pressed up to the glass felt he wanted to say in a loud voice, "look at all the horridpurple fringing". He was of course correct, as customers have to be :-). There was a trace and I'd missed it. Trouble was that print was one of my best sellers and it mattered not a jot to customers after I did some "field testing" by asking them. In fact some rather liked it as it added some small slight colouration to a few of the twigs. Think winter light and dying colours, so a bit of purple just worked well I reasoned. We, as photographers, do obsess about these things ...
09-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

At home prints up to 13x19 on our printer, bigger than that depends on the source image and the lab, but we've sold plenty that are 40-45 inches on the long side and once in a blue moon a really big one (e.g. 6 feet across).

09-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another 13x19 Canon Pixma Pro 100 user.
09-09-2021, 05:26 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I normally print large up on my Epson SC P800.

I send out to a local gal to print the really big ones...

This was printed @ 24x36 inches framed and mounted in the office of the Manager of Thundering Waters Golf in Niagara Falls ON.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
09-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not printed once since film days. Do not own a (working!!!!) printer, and have never owned a colour printer! I view on my computer monitor - until recently a full HD 22inch IPS screen. But shortly after purchasing my K3 iii I "splurged" on a cheapie 4k (non IPS) 28 inch LCD screen.

Have occassionally run a slide show on my Full HD (1920x1089) 10yr+ Panasonic Plasma TV (still going strong!!!!)and my sons' newer 4k 60 and 75 inch screen. Would love to view some of my pics on 60+ inch oled screen.

Have thought about printing a few of my best and sharpest shots (birds, flowers, butterflies and insect shots) to spread around the walls at home. (Kmart printing, Office Works printing - a photographic studio printing???)

Question: Has anyone here invested in anything like this?
Meural Canvas II - 21.5" Various Colours (MC321)

Or something similar? (there are various other digital picture frames Nixplay, Lenovo, the Samsung "The Frame" TV/Photo display screen with an art-style outer frame)
https://www.samsung.com/au/lifestyle-tvs/the-frame/ls03a-55-inch-the-frame-a...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by K2 to K50; 09-09-2021 at 06:47 PM.
09-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I would very much like to print, but haven't got a decent printer yet. I would want to make medium-sized prints, but for the obvious reason can't vote in this poll. Nevertheless, it's a worthwhile enquiry!
In this day and age, owning a large printer is not necessary. Just order them from a printing house. They are barely more expensive than the cost of ink in your own printer, look better, and don't take up space.
09-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
In this day and age, owning a large printer is not necessary. Just order them from a printing house. They are barely more expensive than the cost of ink in your own printer, look better, and don't take up space.
Anything larger than 13x19 we order from a lab, but I'll quibble with the "they look better" part of your statement. The prints we make ourselves are very much nicer than anything we can get from the lab at the same size (and with a vastly greater choice of papers that we can use), which is the main reason we still have a printer for the smaller sizes. But printing big in the home would just be too big of a hassle and expense, so we rely on the bigness itself for much of the "wow factor" at the larger sizes and the exquisite fine detail, richer color tones, and texture we get from printing them ourselves at the smaller sizes. (Of course you have to have a decent photo printer and know what you are doing in terms of prep, but you need at least the second part to get good results from the lab as well.)
09-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Anything larger than 13x19 we order from a lab, but I'll quibble with the "they look better" part of your statement.
I guess it depends on the lab. I soft-proof to ICC profiles for the target paper on the Pro-100. If the print service provides similar, I might expect similar results to what I am getting. If they can't provide the profiles, then what one gets are drug store or Costco prints.

Steve
09-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess it depends on the lab. I soft-proof to ICC profiles for the target paper on the Pro-100. If the print service provides similar, I might expect similar results to what I am getting. If they can't provide the profiles, then what one gets are drug store or Costco prints.
We use White House CC or Bay Photo -- they are pro labs. It has nothing to do with using the right profile, etc etc. We've done exhaustive tests with the labs. Doing the best they can do with the best we can do, it is just better at home. They just don't have the options. Also home printing is faster and more reliable. We are super picky -- most people apparently don't care about little white specks that might have flaked off an inkjet print (which they almost always have, so we generally don't get inkjet prints from the lab), creases from careless handling during packaging, etc. It is annoying if you have to have something reprinted once (or twice, or even three times or more) because it isn't perfect -- I'm not sending something with a visible flaw to a customer.
09-09-2021, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

I have had one of my shots printed 31”x31” with a glass finish for a kitchen splashback, it was taken with a K-r!

Last edited by timb64; 09-09-2021 at 08:29 PM.
09-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I have printed a half dozen or so at 20x30, one at 24x30, bunches at 11x14, 8x10, and 5x7. But 99% of my prints are done 4x6 and then my wife chops them up for her scrapbooking...
09-09-2021, 10:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I used to print my own B&W in a darkroom, which was tremendous fun and quite satisfying. I could have had them printed by a lab, but where’s the fun in that? I’m not decrying lab printing or those who use them, just would enjoy doing it myself.
09-09-2021, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I have had one of my shots printed 31”x31” with a glass finish for a kitchen splashback, it was taken with a K-r!
That’s a good idea, I hope nobody leaves it messy!