Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2021, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #16

Hello from Yorkshire.
I'm really enjoying this B&W film discussion.
Allow me to tell you of my experience with B&W as a result of a City & Guilds 7470 college course at the Cathedral Centre in Bradford, 1994.
The results I got held good for the next 10 years; then I defected to digital.
We were using only Ilford products.
This concerns HP5+, FP4+ and Delta 100.
Each product is wonderful, but sold with the highest ASA number the manufacturer could 'reasonably justify'. Perhaps you remember we all sought the fastest speed film consistent with acceptable results.
HP5+ was/is the most flexible film and was our 'go-to' film. This resulted in various experiments. I was always after minimal contrast and minimal grain (when did grain become 'noise'?). ID 11 was Ilford's recommended developer for HP5+ at its nominal 400 ASA. But, in Ilford's arsenal of developers was/is Perceptol - a 'fine grain' developer. In addition to fine grain, it also yields lower contrast. Win - win. All the developer requires is a further stop of exposure for each film (ie, pulling 1 stop).
So... I suggest this to you: depending on the film you prefer:
HP5+ Expose at 200 ASA. Perceptol 1+3 for 25 mins.
FP4+ Expose at 64 ASA. Perceptol 1+3 for 14 mins.
Delta 100 Expose at 50 ASA. Perceptol 1+3 for 15 mins.
A note on dilution. 1+3 refers to 1 part of stock solution mixed with 3 parts of water.. Solution used at 20 deg C. Use each mixture only once.
My default film was HP5+ @ 200 ASA which yielded consistently breathtaking results, with both 35mm and 120.
I have a home-made chart detailing the development times of five different Ilford films: Pan F @ 12 to 200 ASA. FP4+ @ 25 to 1600 ASA. HP5+ @ 50 to 3200 ASA. Delta 100 @ 25 to 400 ASA. Delta 400 @ 50 to 3200 ASA.
Please ask if you want details.
If you seek minimal grain with reduced contrast - I urge you to try it.
My best to you all,
Echo echo..