Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 170 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2021, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My goodness the 60s are mentioned a lot. It makes you wonder, where will Pentax be in 20 years, I know where I'll probably be.

10-04-2021, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #212
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
first camera

I guess I had some plastic 35mm cameras first. But, my first real camera was a K1000. My parents got it for me when I took photography in school. I had the original 50mm kit lens for it and a 24mm picked up on holiday in england so I could get pics of buildings without having to stand a block away. I loved that camera. Well meaning friends talked me into a nikon since apparently that was required in order to get better pics. I HATED the nikon. Ultimately my hatred for it made me give up on film cameras and go digital. After a year or two of cooling off and shooting the digital, I realized I really missed film and more particularly, I missed the K1000. I was very happy taking pics with it. It suited me. So, I got another and this time out, since digital had become the "thing", all the old film cameras and lenses were practically free. I bought all the lenses I always wanted and could never afford when I was a kid.
I finally broke down and got a proper digital slr two years ago and went Pentax on that as well. The kit lenses are just fine. But, I also like being able to use all the primes I've got for the K1000 as well. So, even with newer cameras, I'm sticking with Pentax.
10-05-2021, 02:53 AM   #213

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
How did you become a Pentax user (Pentaxian) ? And share with us your thoughts on that first Pentax model you owned please.

My first 2 digital cameras were a 2 megapixel HP camera and then a prosumer Olympus c5050z digital camera.

My ex-wife bought me a Pentax k2000 at Sam's Club. It was my very first SLR (film or digital). I was amazed at how good the operation and pictures were, compared to my previous cameras. It came with the 18-55mm DA L kit lens.

I have been a Pentaxian ever since then. Shortly after she bought it for me, I purchased a Pentax 55-300mm - it was the DA version that had the metal mount - unlike the DA L version that had a plastic mount. It was the first and *only* new lens that I've ever purchased for any camera - it cost over $300 and I think it cost like 4 or 5 hundred US dollars. I didn't purchase another lens for many years after that. I knew nothing about SLR lens and the 55-300mm lens was selected for me by my wifes friend, who was a Nikon professional photographer - all we told him was that we wanted a zoom lens for it to photograph our daughter playing sport.

My thoughts on the Pentax k2000 are as follows. It took excellent photos compared to the Olympus prosumer c5050z camera. I really really really enjoyed the SLR experience where looking through the optical viewfinder gave nearly a 100% view of what the resulting photo would cover (width and height that is). The k2000 did not have a proprietary rechargeable battery. It took four AA batteries, of which I opted to buy four rechargeable AA batteries - I may have already had 4 as the Olympus c5050z also only took 4 AA batteries. I didn't think much of the battery situation; however, when I acquired my next Pentax DSLR, it came with a proprietary battery which I enjoyed very much more as it took many more pictures. One last thought is that the k2000 was a 10 megapixel DSLR - having twice the megapixels of the Olympus camera (5 megapixels) and having 5 times those of the HP camera (a 2MP camera).

So, how did you become a Pentaxian, and please share with us your experience(s) and thoughts about that first Pentax camera.

Regards,

Michael
My first Pentax wasn't really mine, but it made me a "Pentaxian".
My two uncles had been Pentax users, but one was more into Hasselblad, so I borrowed his Pentax ME for a school event in 1980, the annual "Bathtub Regatta" against the other school of technology/engineering in Stockholm, Sweden.
The rules are simple, put as many sails and masts on a self-designed floating body as you can, BUT that vessel has to be made out of bathtubs or sinks!

Anyhow, the use of my uncle's camera documenting this regatta made me want to shoot photography, although I mostly bought other Pentax K mount cameras, but always Pentax SMC lenses until I got myself a Pentax K2 DMD, the lenses where everything from the Pentax 15mm superwide to 300mm f/4.
Then I jumped brand, but there is still a fondness for some lenses, the 35mm f2, 105mm f2.8, 135mm f2.5 is on the top here.
10-05-2021, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #214
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great story.

What Pentax cameras/lenses do you use currently in your pro life ?

What was your favourite film era Pentaxes and lenses ?
I have a slew of bodies and lenses (more than I want my wife to know about). My everyday combo is the K-1 with the 100 f/2.8 macro. Since most of my work these days is product stuff, I shoot with this combination about 95% of the time. For lifestyle stuff, I'll shoot the K-1 as well, with anything from the Irix 15mm to the Pentax 300 f/4, but I'll also use APS-C lenses on my K-3 and even my old K-70. My favorite APS-C lenses are the Pentax 15, the aforementioned 100 macro, and most especially the Sigma 18-35 Art which is probably the best APS-C lens I've ever shot. I may get the K-3iii if I start doing more lifestyle shooting, because it would be great to have the better autofocus and frame rate performance.

10-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SPLewis Quote
I have a slew of bodies and lenses (more than I want my wife to know about). My everyday combo is the K-1 with the 100 f/2.8 macro. Since most of my work these days is product stuff, I shoot with this combination about 95% of the time. For lifestyle stuff, I'll shoot the K-1 as well, with anything from the Irix 15mm to the Pentax 300 f/4, but I'll also use APS-C lenses on my K-3 and even my old K-70. My favorite APS-C lenses are the Pentax 15, the aforementioned 100 macro, and most especially the Sigma 18-35 Art which is probably the best APS-C lens I've ever shot. I may get the K-3iii if I start doing more lifestyle shooting, because it would be great to have the better autofocus and frame rate performance.
Funny you should mention that your favourite combo is the K1 and 100 Macro. Mine too, followed up by my K1 and 24-70 F2.8.
10-05-2021, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My goodness the 60s are mentioned a lot. It makes you wonder, where will Pentax be in 20 years, I know where I'll probably be.
Yep, I do too. Posting to this forum.
10-07-2021, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #217

I became a "Pentaxian" back in high school when I took an introduction to photography class. Our school had K-1000 camera's and from the moment I started using them I was hooked! Friends of mine went the traditional Canon and Nikon route but what I liked about the Pentax was it was a more compact. After graduating, I checked out all the major brands and decided to do with a Pentax ME Super! Fast forward to 2020, I finally jumped into the DSLR market with the purchase of the K-70.

10-07-2021, 07:39 PM - 2 Likes   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a buddy in high school who was taking photos for the yearbook (1974). The school had a Spotmatic F. He showed me how to use it and let me watch him develop prints in the school darkroom. Very cool. Fast-forward to 1977, and I saw the advertisement “The Pentax KX-Five Great Cameras In One.” I had to buy one, with the M 50 f/1.7. I loved the KX, but like so many here, it got stolen, so I replaced it in 1979 with an MX. After about 15 years, traded it in for a black body (don’t ask me why, I guess it was cooler). Finally had a great system, with a 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.7, 100 f/2.8, and 200 f/4, with a winder and Vivitar 273. Sold it all around year 2000, (except 50mm and 100mm, for wife’s MV) because “now everything will be digital.” Fast forward again to 2016. Took my Dad’s Voigtlander BR rangefinder to a local repair shop, and sitting in a glass case was a silver MX, CLAd and new seals. I put the money down and brought it home! Full circle! And picked up an M 28 f/3.5 to go with the lenses I’d kept.
10-08-2021, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #219
Pentaxian

I started a serious interest in photography in the 1960s. My first SLR was a Praktica followed, I think, by a Yashica TL Electro X. Both had the "Pentax screw" lens mount. I had trouble with "cockeyed horizons" which I eventually put down to the depth of the camera bodies as I have relatively small hands. In 1972, partly because of this size issue, I bought a Pentax SPII, and later added an MX.

For various reasons I lost interest in photography for about 20 years but, on going digital in 2007 as I wanted photos for a website, it seemed logical to stick with Pentax as I could use the old lenses. I bought a K100D which was fine until it started to have an apparent problem indicating the battery charge level(now resolved). Later I moved on to K30/50, and later again to K-3ii.

My first photo on a Pentax - two long-term relationships started on the same day:-

Linda - on the day in 1972 when we became engaged and I took my first photo on a Pentax

10-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first Pentax SLR, the ME, was given to me by a journalist who was staying as a guest in our home in Kariba covering the first Viscount plane shot down by terrorists/guerrillas just after take-off from Kariba Airport, Zimbabwe in September 1978.

She worked for the then Scope Magazine, a South African weekly 'men's lifestyle magazine, wanting her to get some awful images from the scene and write up over-exaggerated horrors about the victims. Disgusted with what they were asking her to do, she refused, resigned and gave me this lovely camera with 3 lenses and extras.

At the time I was very much into my landscape painting, I belonged to the local art group where we would often go out into the bush - the less wild animal populated areas, of course - to paint. This camera allowed me to take photos of where we went to and especially to further wonderful areas not suitably safe to sit at - wild animals mostly.

My love for photography through the Pentax ME grew so strong that it then became an art form in itself and I became as passionate with photography as I was with painting.

In 2008, on a working visit to the U.K. from Zimbabwe, I bought the Canon EOS 450D with 2 kit lenses and became a digital junkie. Painting and Pentax ME were put aside - till 2014, now living here in the UK, out of curiosity I picked up my Pentax ME again, loaded it with film and its darling little 40mm lens, and set off to snap away. My newfound love leading me into that addictive search and buy Takuma and Pentax vintage lenses and buying up other various Pentax film cameras of which I now have 8.

So this is how I became a reborn Pentaxian.

The image below is from the first roll of film and taken on a trip to London with the Camera group I belong to.
Attached Images

Last edited by PhotoLady; 10-08-2021 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Correction and adding
10-11-2021, 01:22 AM   #221
Pentaxian

It was a sad day for me when Olympus killed the 4/3 mount. I was in doubt if they’d ever support the m4/3 as they easily left their customers hanging just a couple of years after introducing the EVOLT system. So in December 2013, I started scouting for a system that will fit what I needed. I was left with 2 choices, Nikon or Pentax. Sony and Canon were of my list. I didn’t like their rounded shape bodies. I almost took the plunge for a Nikon D7000. Thank God I didn’t. I would’ve been running with a falling off mirror problem. As I looked at the Pentax system, I was attracted to its design particularly the K5II/s. The image quality was superb and the user feedback was positive. The ruggedness of Pentax DSLR system being weather sealed, the IBIS simply matched my character. I bought my K-5II in February 2, 2014 and my hands on it in February 6, 2014. I was stunned by the images it produced. Despite being criticized by the slow AF, I knew that this was the system for me. I slowly expanded my system acquiring additional lenses and ended up buying a K-3II in 2016. Now with the K-3III and the new lenses introduced in the pipeline, I am sure this will be my last system. I will purchase the K-3III and additional lenses in the future. I hope there will be a KP2 in a year or 2. I hope Pentax will continue to support the K-mount and the camera industry.
10-12-2021, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #222
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Funny you should mention that your favourite combo is the K1 and 100 Macro. Mine too, followed up by my K1 and 24-70 F2.8.
I have a ton of Pentax lenses, including the 24-70, which I find to be just plain excellent.
10-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SPLewis Quote
I have a ton of Pentax lenses, including the 24-70, which I find to be just plain excellent.

I agree. My 2nd favourite combo is my K1 and my 100 mm Macro WR F 2.8.
10-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #224

Spotmatic II, 50 mm f1.4 + 135mm f3.5 Osnabruck, Germany 1973 Still got them.
12-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first camera was one I received as a birthday present in the late 60s or early 70s. It was one of those point and shoot 135 film cameras, so my photographs and photography skills, or non-existent skills, were dictated by that camera. Around 1978 a guy started working with me, who along with his girlfriend, later wife, became my wife's and my best friends. When he first started working with me, he was studying photography in the local Jr. College, aspiring to one day own his own film and production company which he has done. The camera he had at the time was a Pentax K1000 with which he was shooting great photos. That's when I decided to upgrade my camera and hopefully my skills along with it. He recommended that I take a good look at the K1000, but I figured if I bought a full manual camera, I would end up wasting money on film and developing and not getting any better. My wife and I went to a camera store and I told the salesperson that I didn't know much about photography only having used a point and shoot camera, so wanted a camera with which I could easily take great pictures. Knowing the quality of the photos my friend was shooting, I asked what Pentax cameras he had. He showed me the Pentax MG and demonstrated its operation, and I was sold. I purchased many lenses along the way, a few filters for effects, and I tried shooting photos where the objects in the foreground were out of proportion to the ones in the background. I even experimented with double and triple exposure, and one of the triple exposure photos was so good that when my wife was showing her grandfather the photos that were taken on our most recent vacation, he asked who the other two people were sitting with me at the picnic table. I took some amazing photos that Pentax MG on our vacations to the Smoky Mountains and elsewhere. My wife liked the MG so much that we decided it was time to get another camera, and I decided I wanted to buy one that has full manual control. There was a photo store in the mall where the auto center I worked was located, and they had a Sigma that really caught my eye, but the price was too high. I waited for what seemed like months for a sale or the price to drop, but when it never happened, I started looking at other cameras. I ended up purchasing a Ricoh KR10 Super because like the Sigma, it took the Pentax K mount lenses, and it had full manual control. I don't know why I didn't buy another Pentax instead of the Ricoh, but I was very happy with my choice, and now my wife and I were able to take pictures of what we wanted without having to wait for the other to finish with the camera. I purchased a K20D around 2009 that I used to keep in my car so I could stop and shoot photos if I saw something I liked, (like a beautiful sunset), but unfortunately, it has barely been used since late 2012 due to neck surgery that left me unable to drive. I do take it out regularly though to check the condition of the battery and charge it if necessary. I refuse to sell or get rid of any of my cameras, because when my wife retires, we plan on taking some long vacations, and I'm going to bring out the SLRs, dust them off, replace their batteries, (I removed them a long time ago to prevent damage to the cameras when, not if, the batteries corroded), charge the K20-D battery and buy a new one for good measure, and pack up all three cameras with all of the lenses and take them along on our vacations.

Last edited by Autotech1; 01-21-2022 at 08:33 PM.