Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2021, 04:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
…all the people who had a colonoscopy but forgot to check the brand name on the medical camera used by the physicians and nurses.
That doesn’t make you a Pentaxian, but it does mean you’ve been Pentaxianised. Wear your badge with pride!

10-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote

That's ironic... He gave in to pixel pipping after all....
I don’t think that’s fair. His angst with Pentax was actually getting the “look” he wanted for his glamour shots took a lot of work with the FA 77 Ltd and was easier with the FA* 85. When the 85 broke and was difficult/impractical to repair he kept Pentax as a tool for other uses (he has made some fabulous landscape shots if you haven’t seen them) then in a cash crunch he sold off the remaining Pentax gear because it was no longer critical to his work. If I recall he primarily is shooting Fuji and L-Mount, Panasonic and Sigma bodies and the Fuji 56mm and Sigma 85 f1.4 Art are all part of his work. As far as I can tell he’s kept a similar look through the transition - which isn’t very pixel peeping oriented in my opinion.
10-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I don’t think that’s fair. His angst with Pentax was actually getting the “look” he wanted for his glamour shots took a lot of work with the FA 77 Ltd and was easier with the FA* 85. When the 85 broke and was difficult/impractical to repair he kept Pentax as a tool for other uses (he has made some fabulous landscape shots if you haven’t seen them) then in a cash crunch he sold off the remaining Pentax gear because it was no longer critical to his work. If I recall he primarily is shooting Fuji and L-Mount, Panasonic and Sigma bodies and the Fuji 56mm and Sigma 85 f1.4 Art are all part of his work. As far as I can tell he’s kept a similar look through the transition - which isn’t very pixel peeping oriented in my opinion.
I am a little surprised he didn't stick with Sony. My friend does model work with her A7iii and A9 and her shots are stunning. A few issues with noise in low light but her competition entries are gloriously crisp
10-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #19
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
We have been defined!
I'm a millennial, so I don't really like labels..

10-01-2021, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Whereas I am a boomer. We need labels so we can remember who the hell we are 😅😅 years of smoking pretty much anything catches up with you eventually
10-01-2021, 12:40 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
years of smoking pretty much anything catches up with you eventually
LOL... and I don't think you mean like kippers or salmon...
10-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am a little surprised he didn't stick with Sony. My friend does model work with her A7iii and A9 and her shots are stunning. A few issues with noise in low light but her competition entries are gloriously crisp
I still see an occasional Sony shot. But I think - I’ll have to check back in my messages from him - I think he said he tried it and preferred the Panasonic and Sigma. The Sony shots that show up now may just be older shots as he cycles content in Flickr.

I own a Sony A7RIII and it can be quite crisp in the right shots. Low light noise should honestly be quite similar for the sigma, Panasonic, Pentax and Sony full frame cameras. Differences in noise that are more than trivial are likely to be from post processing, accelerator chips, or actual exposure used.

10-01-2021, 07:16 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Be scared, millennial:

10-02-2021, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

It's a decision , we are not gonna judge anyone, of course. Besides , Sony does make excellent cameras. So does Fuji. The photo comes firstly from the person and then from any camera.
10-02-2021, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Looks like the person who posted that definition was/is a member here, as I recall.I believe he left Pentax for Sony.

As far as I recall, the text quoted by the OP originally featured as advertising copy in a Pentax campaign at about the time when the K10D was released. Someone must have uploaded it to the UrbanDictionary website, which is basically just an open slang dictionary.

Another Pentaxian dug this up in 2014: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/271594-im-pentaxian.html

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-02-2021 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Link added.
10-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #26
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm 52, still have more dark hair than grey (though the grey is gaining ground), clean-shaven, and spent most of my adult life (except for the last seven years) working and playing in the City of London and its environs. I didn't get into photography properly until 11 or 12 years ago, and started shooting Pentax in my early 40s when my hair was considerably darker. Most of the lenses I use with my Pentax cameras are modern auto-focus models. I do own a lot of manual focus lenses - mostly Soviet, which I collect - but shoot those primarily on Sony E-mount.

We're just a varied bunch of guys and gals of all ages who choose to shoot Pentax equipment. Maybe we're a little more enthusiastic about our gear than some, but I suspect not... Folks like us shoot all the other brands too...
Is it your experience that Soviet lens are well made, since you've had a lot of them - ?
10-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it your experience that Soviet lens are well made, since you've had a lot of them - ?
The majority are very solidly built, especially those manufactured up to around 1990. Manufacturing tolerances and finish can be a little variable, and they tend not to feel like the precision instruments from countries like Japan around the same time. You might call them a bit "agricultural". A few - typically later revisions of earlier models or completely new designs from the post-Soviet era - aren't so well built, and can suffer from poor quality control and reliability (one example is the Zenitar-M2s 50mm f/2 - an unfortunate mix of plastic, metal, poor mechanical design and build quality, but rather good glass).

Optically, they're a mixed bag - some are excellent, others good, some OK but nothing to crow about, while others aren't very good at all. Many (even some of the poorer ones) have rendering quirks that can be either a lot of fun or somewhat limiting creatively, depending on your outlook and preferences. Personally, I like the variety and generally find unusual rendering fun to work with.

One thing to consider is that many Soviet lenses have now had a number of owners, they've been well-used over the years and - in quite a lot of cases - poorly serviced, so it can be a bit of a lottery when acquiring them. Buying from sellers with good feedback and returns policies is advisable. I've often gone through several copies of a particular model before finding an example I was satisfied with... but that's collecting for you

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-02-2021 at 12:06 PM.
10-02-2021, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

of course

you do realized that

you just labelled yourself

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-02-2021 at 01:41 PM.
10-02-2021, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you do realized
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Be scared
Yeh it's not the brightest thing to say... good thing it's a quote from an interview on the Daily Show:

https://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow/videos/10154787293006800
Attached Images

Last edited by FozzFoster; 10-02-2021 at 02:26 PM.
10-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #30
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it your experience that Soviet lens are well made
One thing I've heard:
The Soviets really desired to 'impress' foreign markets.
So there were factories that made lenses for their local market and seperate factories that made lenses for international markets.
Rumour goes that the international market lenses were manufactured to a higher standard than their local markets.
I've heard that the lenses coming out of the KMZ factory are preferred in the modern era.